Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Entertaining 1+ yr old on overseas flight & more

amother

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 11:12 am
Hi there.
Very spur of the moment we decided to fly from Israel to the US on Tue. How do I entertain an antsy, somewhat kvetchy 1 1/4 yr old on the flight???
Also on the way back I am flying alone with him (my husband is going back earlier). Any sanity tips? Did anyone ever hear also of someone helping from the baggage carousel to outside when there is a baby along? Thanks so much for any and all help.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 1:16 pm
If u have a portable dvd player, that might keep him busy for a little, a little bit he can sleep, take along picture books, coloring books.

Dunno what else to suggest.

If you're going for pleasure. enjoy, otherwise.. good luck.

Mammy

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 4:52 pm
Having made quite a few overseas trips- one of which ended up taking 26 hours- with a kid this age (and last year when he was younger), I'll share some tips that were given to me.

#1 For your sanity, don't worry about anyone else on the plane!!! Ignore all comments, looks etc. Most people sympathize with you, so ignore the few rude peolpe.

#2 Buy a couple new toys, like a travel etch a scetch, truck, doll, or whatever you think your kid might be interested in. Try it out for two minutes at home. If they like it, hide it untill you are desperate on the plane.

#3Find toys on the plane. My son spent more time playing with the toothbrushes they gave out then any of the toys I brought.

#4Benadryl. However, try it out before you leave. It makes some kids hyper. Give it to your kid around the time it would be his bed time - before the time change- go through his regular bedtime routine, then DAVEN that he will go to sleep.

#5 If there is a good possibility that there will be a seat for him, bring along a travel booster seat. It doesn't meet FAA aproval for safety during take off or landing, but it will help keep him in one place while he is sleeping or eating. (here is the one I got. http://www.travelingwithkids.c.....seats ) Some people like the carseats that turn into strollers. I never tried it, but I could see how if you know you will have a seat for him it would make things a lot easier.

#6 Bring along a couple changes of clothing for him, pajamas, and something for you.

#7 If your kid is an eater or even a nibbler, bring along bags of snacks. Cereal, raisins, bamba, cut grapes, or whatever is your childs favorite. I don't know how this will work with the new flying laws though.

#8 Puppets. I know it sounds funny, but a kvetchy child will be more likely to listen to a funny talking puppet. Bring two so they could have a conversation. (Ones with hands are especially helpfull.)

#9 No need to bring entertainment for yourself LOL !

#10 I know it sounds funny after All of those things that I told you to bring, but pack light. For the way back, anything that you didn't use, don't carry on.

#11 Get onto the flight well rested, and don't expect to sleep. For the way there, take shifts with your husband. One of you could sit somewhere else to sleep while the other keeps an eye on your son.

#12 Just know, that the flight does not go on forever, and it will eventually land!!

Hatzlacha! Have a safe trip.
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions

newmom

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 5:22 pm
Only take a night flight- DO NOT fly by day or you will have to entertain for many many hours!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 05 2006, 8:36 pm
newmom- I have to fly by day because a night time ticket now is $950 per ticket, while a daytime one is $699 per ticket. The one up side to it is that we get in at the afternoon so I wont have to keep him up long.

Mammy-I loved reading your suggestions. I could tell you are a seasoned flier. The thing is my son is not an easy one to begin with. Entertaining him on a regular basis isn't easy so I don't know WHAT we'll do now. We wont know until today if we will get for him a full fledged seat, or an infant seat (meaning he gets a seat if there is room). It's encouraging that you were on a 26 hr flight and still live to tell the tale!!! I just remember when I flew back from america about a yr ago there was a 4 month old next to me who didnt make a peep the whole time. That's NOT going to happen with MY son!!!!
I have to see if I could still find him new toys today.
I dont think I am up to medicating him. I dunno.... doesnt sit well with me... unless he is sick.
We're taking a day flight so he will only have his (2-3 hr) afternoon flight. We will be landing our original time around 11 pm. Yikes. I guess he'll go to sleep shortly after we arrive.
For take off and landing I am allowed to just hold him, right? I dont have a booster seat or car seat because I dont have a car.
Anyone know if I could bring formula on the plane???

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 3:24 am
You hold him at take-off and landing. Nurse or give another favourite drink at those times, but don't worry if he doesn't want.
Mammy wrote:

#1 For your sanity, don't worry about anyone else on the plane!!! Ignore all comments, looks etc. Most people sympathize with you, so ignore the few rude peolpe.

Oh, how I agree with this one! When I flew in the summer with my toddler, she screamed at take-off. The fellow next to me kept asking if I could make her stop (like I was making her scream on purpose, just to annoy him Rolling Eyes ) Eventually I told him that next time he flies, he should make sure to request a seat as far awy as possible from any kids on the plane.

By the way, just as a side note, please be careful with taking bamba on board. There could be an allergic person on the plane.

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 4:36 am
amother wrote:

Anyone know if I could bring formula on the plane???

If it's powder, definitely no problem. If it's liquid, you can bring enough for the flight, but they might make you taste it before allowing it on.

If your son has a favorite stuffed animal or blanket, don't forget to take it on board with you. Also, request a bulkhead seat if possible, which gives him room to play on the floor.

Mammy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 6:01 am
I second the bulkhead seat!! Keep asking them if it is available- they usually save it for kids, or people with special needs.

However, if you have a choice for that or a whole row for yourself, take the row.

You could also play with him/ let him explore the areas with the bathrooms and flight attendant seats. Sit on one of their seats, and let him play. Most attendants will be nice- again, ignore the ones that give you dirty looks, and if they tell you to go back to your seat (unless there is turbulance or something) just say, that you think that her passengers will enjoy the flight more if you spend some more time away from them.....

amother

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 6:39 am
We got bulkhead for both ways supposedly, bh

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 6:48 am
Double-dose of Benadryl! It won't kill him or even hurt him. I know a family that flies quite frequently from Eretz Yisroel to Montreal and back, and each time b/4 they get on the plane the mother doles out double doses of Benadryl to each child and they have very pleasant plane rides. The kids get their well-needed sleep, the parents can sleep too, and the rest of the passengers are not staring daggers at you!
I am very sorry to say that I disagree with the posters who wrote that you should ignore the passengers who are offended by your child's behavior. I think that is very inconsiderate. In spite of the fact that you cannot control your one-year-old's behavior, it is extremely rude to be nasty to passengers who are bothered by your child. It is much more appropriate to be apologetic and you will get a lot more sympathy that way, not to mention that YOUR reaction might make the difference between a kiddush Hashem and ch'v a chillul Hashem!

Mammy

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 6:57 am
Just to clarify:
downsyndrome wrote:
it is extremely rude to be nasty to passengers who are bothered by your child. It is much more appropriate to be apologetic and you will get a lot more sympathy that way, not to mention that YOUR reaction might make the difference between a kiddush Hashem and ch'v a chillul Hashem!

I agree that it is never ok to be rude or nasty. It is always good to be appologetic, but there are things that are out of our controll it terms of how kids act when cooped up on an airplane.

You could go crazy worring that your kid is making the whole plane upset when they cry, when it is not the case. Stressing about how other passengers feel will make you tense, making it harder to calm the kid down.

Appologize, etc. but don't worry.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:21 pm
and please please, definitely come back after your trip and report to us how it went.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 1:50 pm
I will come back and let you know how it went if I am still here to report!!!!

I agree about staying chilled with people's stares. It's very not like me to do that. I take things personally. But you are right... there is not much to do about an antsy kid. And I dont blame my son either... I also get SOOO antsy on planes but I probably handly it slightly (maybe?) better. I am SOOOO nervous to fly back alone with him. Getting rather stressed.

Re: Benadryl. I am very not into non doctors saying what dosage is ok and when. Benadryl is not made for kids whose parents dont want them to be too active on the plane. I had ppl on my plane who took tranquilizers once!!! They were prescription medicine and the family (both middle aged ppl and teens) were friends with a dr who gave it to them stam so they could sleep on the plane. I am not for that.... And surely deciding yourself that you could DOUBLE dose a kid... I dunno. I am not such a naturilist person... I have a headache, I take something for it. But if I could avoid medicine I do. (Like childbirth... you need medicine so take it if thats what you decide. I was able to do without, so I did).

Dont know if I will be picking up email but I probably wont be on again till I leave. So either I will speak to you on the other side or when I get back in 2 1/2 wks.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 06 2006, 3:10 pm
All I can say is Hatzlacha you sure will need it Tongue Out Tongue Out

amother

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 11:55 am
I survived!!! On the way there he needed lots of entertainment as he slept less than 2 hrs of a 12+ hr flight. Plus I am pregnant and was nauseous etc. On the way back I flew without my husband but the baby slept most of the way, waking up a lot too. Although I hate to fly even without a baby, it was a very good trip.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics