Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bas Mitzvah Gift for a Non-Religious Sister

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 9:38 pm
My half-sister's bas mitzvah is coming up and I want to get her something. She is Conservative (goes to a Conservative shul and day school), so she will be reading from the Torah, etc. I though about getting her something that is from a more traditional perspective, but I don't want it to be something she will just shelve or not like (I.e. I don't want to go all mussar on her!). She has some wealthy relatives from her mother's side, so I am not sure I should get her the obvious gifts, like jewelry or a siddur. I am afraid she'll already be getting things like that. Maybe it is just better to give a gift certificate to a Judaica store or money. What do you think?

ny21

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 10:16 pm
What about a mezuzah for her door .?

Last edited by ny21 on Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

lubcoralsprings

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 10:17 pm
What about a siddur with her name engraved?

avigayil

Post Thu, Aug 24 2006, 10:37 pm
With our relatives, we give them a Tanach (like an Artscroll) with their Hebrew name engraved in Hebrew on it. She may or may not have one already, but the Artscroll has the English and Hebrew and also many addendums at the end showing what the Levite cities looked like and other things.

chen

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 9:49 am
definitely not money! you don't want her to buy a rap music video with it, do you? your idea of something Jewish but not preachy is just the ticket. Artscroll has a book called something like The Jewish Teenager's Guide to Life (possibly too preachy for your sister? I haven't read it). Does she have Shabbos candlesticks, a Chanukiyoh, a beautiful pushke?

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 11:15 am
I gave "The Book of our Heritage" by Kitov to a non frum relative. I think it covers a lot and if a person wishes to be more observant, there is a lot of information in there.

Mommy912

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:19 pm
What about a beautiful hagadda? You can get one with english translations/commentaries.

Kumphort

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:25 pm
artscroll has a beautiful coffee table style book, called the bat mitvah tresurey

http://www.artscroll.com/Books/wbath.html

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:43 pm
We have given nice books about Israel.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:28 pm
chen wrote:
definitely not money! you don't want her to buy a rap music video with it, do you? your idea of something Jewish but not preachy is just the ticket. Artscroll has a book called something like The Jewish Teenager's Guide to Life (possibly too preachy for your sister? I haven't read it). Does she have Shabbos candlesticks, a Chanukiyoh, a beautiful pushke?

Haha about the rap! LOL That's why I was considering getting a gift certificate for someplace like Eichler's, then she could pick something out, but it would be Jewish. I haven't read that book; maybe I should try to find it at my local bookshop. I just don't want to get something that is from a frum perspective so much so that she can't relate. I have heard of the Bas Mitzvah Treasury book someone else mentioned, but I've never read it. It would all depend on the tone of the book. Like if it talks about tznius or something and speaks negatively about certain ways of dressing, I think it could be a turn off or even a insult to the way she is now if she isn't ready to be mekabel that type of info.

I am so indecisive with gifts! I need to do this now.

mompete

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:39 pm
how about tickets to a jewish concert? it's something a little different.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:41 pm
Has anyone read this book?
http://www.eichlers.com/detail.....20226
Would this be good?

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:43 pm
mompete wrote:
how about tickets to a jewish concert? it's something a little different.

That's an idea. We don't live in the same country, though, so I don't even know how I'd find out what might be going on Jewishly in her area. I have to buy something online.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:52 pm
How about a gift certificate to artscroll.com? You can order them online.
Then she can choose what she might like

Crayon210

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 8:18 pm
I second the candlesticks idea... :-)

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 8:30 pm
I think she has candlesticks. I don't really know, that's why I don't want to get her something that is a usual gift (siddur, candlesticks, magen dovid pendant, etc.). I know she has been lighting Shabbos candles since she was little. If I knew her better, it would probably be easier to pick something out. We've never lived together and we live so far apart I hardly see her.

I may just go the gift certificate route. Safe.

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 9:08 pm
Okay, which is better, a gift certificate from artscroll.com or eichlers.com?

I know we already have a vote for artscroll...

chedva

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 10:08 pm
I am looking for a similar type of gift. I don't know your price range, but I was thinking of a necklace with her hebrew name, the kind you get in Israel - I Know it's jewelry but...

Marion

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 2:46 pm
What about a State of Israel bond? I think they're available in small denominations, designed to be used for gifts. That way it's money, but not something she can spend in a way you wouldn't want. A lot of less observant Jews are still very Zionist/pro-Israel and that might speak to her more than the usual stuff.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 9:04 pm
Marion wrote:
What about a State of Israel bond? I think they're available in small denominations, designed to be used for gifts. That way it's money, but not something she can spend in a way you wouldn't want. A lot of less observant Jews are still very Zionist/pro-Israel and that might speak to her more than the usual stuff.

great idea!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics