Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Are Hat Falls Out of Style?
Previous  1  2

chavamom

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 10:45 pm
Some married guys have no clue either! My neighbor told me that her husband saw me in a new hat fall and told her he thought to himself 'the world has gone crazy! Rebbetzin W. has her hair hanging out.' B'H, she set him straight, but got a good laugh out of it.

gali

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 10:54 pm
LOL chavamom. It's true that many ppl. can't tell the difference between a hat fall and a woman's natural hair. Some women use this lack of knowledge to their benefit and wear a hat/bandana/baseball cap over their own hair with the intention that everyone will think "she's frum, so it must be a hat fall", while really it's her own hair.
I myself can't necessarily tell if someone is wearing a hat over a fall or over her hair, I just assume it's a fall because I know the woman is frum but honestly, I can't always tell.

melalyse

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 12:31 pm
I am sort of torn about this. I wear my hat fall but I really am uncomfortable about the idea that people might not think that I am covering all of my hair. I think that this is the reason that I usually wear scarves. DH and I think that it is more in the spirit of the law.

ceo

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 8:40 pm
I once asked a posek about this issue (ppl thinking it's my hair and not a fall). I was told that it's not a problem to wear hat falls. And this wasn't by a 22 year old YU musmach! I was told this by a respected English speaking posek in Yerushalayim. This is what he said when asked,

"Enough bnei yeshiva (he meant their wives) wear these types of sheitels that it is mkubal and and you don't have to worry about it (I tihnk he meant, what other people think). The only thing you shouldn't wear is a ponytail sheitl."

If you want one, double check with your Rav that it's okay, and go for it. Don't worry about what other people think.

melalyse

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 9:27 am
I know that halachically it is okay. It is just the way that I feel when I wear it. And I really think that it is not what Hashem had in mind when this halacha was made. That is why I usually wear tichels but to dress up I will wear my hat fall or sheitel. I think that If I lived in Israel I would never wear a hat fall or sheitel.

batya_d

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 12:53 pm
ceo wrote:
The only thing you shouldn't wear is a ponytail sheitl."

What is a ponytail sheitel? A sheitel that can only be worn in a pony? Seems a little boring. And any long sheitel with a straight cut can be pulled back in my experience. I wear my headband fall pulled back when it gets hot.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 10:35 am
I'm from Israel. What's a fall?

aussiegal

Post Mon, Sep 25 2006, 2:31 pm
A hat fall is a shaitel that has no hair on the top (just netting). That way, when u wear a hat it's more comfortable and it sits on your head better b/c there isn't alot of hair underneath it. It just has hair coming out of the sides of the net and the back of the net. In other words, they only put hair where u can see it!!
A band fall is a shaitel with no hair in the very front, so that your headband can sit flatly against the shaitel, and hair starts coming out from where it can be seen past the headband.

Sorry, this is wordy and confusing but I hope you got the point!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels