Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Crunch time! The week before R.H.!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 11:39 am
This will be a busy week! How are you spacing out your errands, cooking, and time?

Sunday - toiveling, tailor, and errands. Cooking the tsimmes and the brisket.

Tuesday or Wed - big grocery shopping

Thursday - cooking, naturally. Hopefully picking up my tailoring and finishing the laundry.

Friday - I have to work part of the day, but afterwards I guess I'll have to do some cleaning, finish the cooking and laundry. Oh, and get the Pri Chadash.

ShiraMiri

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 11:47 am
I am scared silly. I am not good at making such schedules and sticking to them. Between work and all the regular things that need to be done - I don't know how I am going to make yom tov!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 11:51 am
I used to keep a notebook, like my Pesach notebook, but I am pretty used to what has to get done. It's very helppfu, though.

I had my jewelry steamed too, and made myself an appointment for eyebrow waxings/eyelash tinting.

cindy324

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 1:16 pm
well I plan on baking some things prob on Wednesday (if my brand new mixer arrives on time). Cook on Thursday , friday. I'm trying not to overdo it this time, especially becauseit's shabbos and then Motzei Shabbos nobody's really in the mood of eating too much.

Sunday, I'm hoping I can leave the kids with dh most of the day to do the grocery shopping, and some odds and ends like socks for the kids, a robe for myself, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 15 2006, 1:23 pm
It's true, no one is usully hungry for the 2nd night seudah, the davening goes so late....

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 16 2006, 4:35 pm
And I thought this was going to be a thread about how we have less than a week to do teshuva and shape ourselves up spiritually..... Eye-brow waxing ....

(Though of course I also have to get all that cooking done too Very Happy )

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Sep 16 2006, 9:02 pm
Mummyof6, my posts hardly ever find favor in your eyes, do they?

If you want to add spirituality, add it! But we say in CH that yiddishe gashmius IS ruchnius!

I have a RH farby tomorrow night and a Sukkos dinim classon Tuesday. Regular parsha shiur on Wed and Thur.

Now, does THAT make you happy!

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 7:58 pm
SaraG wrote:
I used to keep a notebook, like my Pesach notebook, but I am pretty used to what has to get done. It's very helppfu, though.

I don't get it. Notebook, like for Pesach? Crunch time?

Shabbos comes every week. Rosh Hashana is ONE day more than Shabbos. I don't see why the gashmius preparations for R.H. are a big deal. Then again, pedicure is not on my list of things to do (as it is on the Tishrei link ...)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 8:16 pm
Motek, I used to do a lot of cooking and freezing, and I kept lists of amounts to buy, money to budget, etc. A notebook was very helpful for that, and I found the food and schedule was VERY diferent than a typical shabbos for us.

Also, I think one year I either didn't buy the rimon or a pri chadash,so with lists, I never forget any of that stuff.

I just call this week crunch time as it's the "homestretch", that's all.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 9:04 pm
I also have my list to remember about no nuts and vinegar, round challos, apple and honey, new fruit, and sure the schedule is different. I just don't understand when last week someone said - one week left ..., like so?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 10:16 pm
That was me.

So - if you have to make a sheital appointment, if you have to have something tailored, whatever you have to plan for, this is it!

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 17 2006, 10:47 pm
SaraG wrote:
if you have to make a sheital appointment, if you have to have something tailored, whatever you have to plan for, this is it!

nah, there's always next week Smile so if the sheitel isn't ready for RH, it will be ready for Succos ... better to work on kabbolas ha'malchus at this point, I think ...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 10:04 am
Motek, we have a saying our house about shloshim yom - that 30 days beforehand, we start learning about the next yomtov or inyan or whatever is coming up.

ruchnious doesn't wait. It's not like honeycake, for example, that you can either buy or put in the oven on a timer or some such.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 10:35 am
SaraG wrote:
Motek, we have a saying our house about shloshim yom - that 30 days beforehand, we start learning about the next yomtov or inyan or whatever is coming up.

ruchnious doesn't wait. It's not like honeycake, for example, that you can either buy or put in the oven on a timer or some such.

Right, but gashmius can.
I don't think Motek was talking about not having a sheitel at all for RH; she was saying that if it's not freshly done that isn't so bad as not being spiritually ready.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 10:51 am
this thread was meant for gashmius inyonim. not spiritual; hence where I posted it.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 18 2006, 11:30 am
We're having guests iy"h. Time to get the rooms ready. Problem is they are being used now... So my crunch is the night before they come. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics