Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How do I get my son to stop

amother

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 11:42 pm
put his hands in his pants. He's constantly "busy" down there. Not intensely, if you know what I mean, he's just always got his hands there.

(He's 4, and this seems to have replaced the chewing on his tzitzis phase which lasted a few months).

He's my first boy, so I have no experience with this, but BOY is it embarrasing.

Sofia2

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 11:50 pm
I have the same problem with my almost 3 year old!
He is in the process of training and walks around botomless for most of the day (This method really works by the way!)
So now he has good access down there....
I'm not too worried about it, I'm sure it'll pass.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 4:56 pm
check out this thread:

"boys will be boys? or something more"

in the Toddler section

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 5:05 pm
Just tell him "no it's not a mitzvah to put your hands there oh no and we want to make Hashem happy by doing mitzvohs not c"v the opposite, it's not something we do. Since we don't see mummy or daddy or whoever doing that now do we ".

And when he forgets just say "do you need the washroom b/c if you do go, if not then please don't do that ".

This is what I would say to my kid and enforce it though side tracking too can also help.... I wish you Hatzlacha.

HelloEverybody

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 5:16 pm
Tefila, the issue I have with your suggestion is that while you're not outright saying that it's an aveirah that is the implicatiosn you are giving over, when it's not. I would only use the mitzvah/not mitzvah tactics when there really is a place for it.

Regarding the OPs issue, I would suggest that every time he does that, you just take his hand and move it away. Eventually he'll be annoyed by you doing it that it won't be a "habit" anymore.

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 5:35 pm
Quote:
while you're not outright saying that it's an aveirah that is the implicatiosn you are giving over, when it's not.

Ah but it could be since over bar mitzvah it is forbidden aka an aveiroh Confused

Remember too habits die hard now is a great age to nip it in the bud Wink

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 5:52 pm
for such a little boy, I would just keep reminding him that it isnt a nice thing to do, just like we arent allowed to burp or say not nice things.

micki

Post Tue, Aug 22 2006, 6:24 pm
my boys have the same problem- its a magnet and not something that they think about.
he doesn't realize that he is touching himself, same way you don't think about when you scratch an itch.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 12:08 pm
Try giving him treats, not too often.. if he dosent put his hands down there..
for a 4 yr old.. 20-30 mins is a good start

shopaholic

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:24 am
DS who is nearly 2 started doing that at both ends in his diaper. It's especially gross when the diaper is dirty!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers