Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
About golden syrup

rivki770

Post Thu, Aug 17 2006, 11:15 pm
does anyone knows what's golden syrup in europe? I would like to make the rice crispies thing with peanut butter and golden syrup but we don't find it here... Crying thanks

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 12:55 am
I don't know what it is in Europe, but now that you mention it, I think the Karro Syrup (Corn syrup) would do the same thing.

rivki770

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 7:30 am
su7kids wrote:
I don't know what it is in Europe, but now that you mention it, I think the Karro Syrup (Corn syrup) would do the same thing.

thanx for your answer but we don't have corn syrum either so I'm really looking for a substitute! thanks Rolling Eyes

su7kids

Post Fri, Aug 18 2006, 10:47 am
LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.
Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

and then there's this:

golden syrup
Particularly popular in England (where it's also known as light treacle), this liquid sweetener has the consistency of corn syrup and a clear golden color. It's made from evaporated sugar cane juice and has a rich, toasty flavor unmatched by any other sweetener. Golden syrup, the most readily available brand being Lyle's, can be found in some supermarkets and many gourmet markets. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in cooking and baking, and for everything from pancake syrup to ice cream topping.

I hope that's helpful.

I typed into google "corn syrup substitute" and then "Golden syrup substitue" and those are two of the results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics