Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Short poem for teacher help please

PROUDPEACOCK

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 6:29 pm
I need help with a 4-6 line poem topic is:

Like an umbrella used for protection,
So is Miss _____ lessons a value education,
bla bla bla

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 8:04 pm
protection and education do not rhyme.

I can tell you that most teachers prefer a heartfelt note in prose to a poem.

I can also tell you that no one can help you if you don't post the teacher's name. the syllable count and emphasis of syllables are very important in a rhyming poem.

how about this:

dear miss x,

thank you for teaching our son/daughter. s/he has learned so much this year. you are a skilled teacher, and we sincerely appreciate the time you invested this year in our child's education. we know any success s/he has in the future will be partially due to your efforts.

have a wonderful summer,
mr and mrs anonymous

feel free to include a gift if you are inclined to do so.

sorry, but I have always hated receiving cutesy poems as gestures. they always seem gauche...

I hope you find a form of expression that works for you. kudos to you for sending the teacher something sweet.

overthehill

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 8:20 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

I can also tell you that no one can help you if you don't post the teacher's name. the syllable count and emphasis of syllables are very important in a rhyming poem.

how about this:

dear miss x,

thank you for teaching our son/daughter. s/he has learned so much this year. you are a skilled teacher, and we sincerely appreciate the time you invested this year in our child's education. we know any success s/he has in the future will be partially due to your efforts.

have a wonderful summer,
mr and mrs anonymous

sorry, but I have always hated receiving cutesy poems as gestures. they always seem gauche...
I hope you find a form of expression that works for you. kudos to you for sending the teacher something sweet.

I disagree with you on this one. Over the past years, I have written tons of heartwarming poems to Morahs, Teachers, and Rebbes, indicating our Hakaros Hatov, or providing a brief synopsis of the past year's highlights- and even many years later, If I bump into them, they always mention them and appreciate them

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 8:41 pm
overthehill wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

how about this:

dear miss x,

have a wonderful summer,
mr and mrs anonymous

I disagree with you on this one. Over the past years, I have written tons of heartwarming poems to Morahs, Teachers, and Rebbes, indicating our Hakaros Hatov, or providing a brief synopsis of the past year's highlights- and even many years later, If I bump into them, they always mention them and appreciate them

I've been proven wrong, then. hats off to you. I suppose it's the english language fanatic in me that cringes at those poems. perhaps you're a better poet than the ones who have written poems for me. Smile

having taught, though, I would have appreciated the heartfelt note more than anything else. seriously. if you feel you can't write a poem on your own, just write a note of appreciation. writing a poem to help someone else feels like doing someone else's homework...

overthehill

Post Sun, May 01 2011, 9:10 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
overthehill wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

how about this:

dear miss x,

have a wonderful summer,
mr and mrs anonymous

I've been proven wrong, then. hats off to you. I suppose it's the english language fanatic in me that cringes at those poems. perhaps you're a better poet than the ones who have written poems for me. Smile

having taught, though, I would have appreciated the heartfelt note more than anything else. seriously. if you feel you can't write a poem on your own, just write a note of appreciation. writing a poem to help someone else feels like doing someone else's homework...

This I totally agree with- If someone has to write something for you, no matter how lovely a letter or poem it is, it aint worth a thing- because it came from someone elses heart- not yours!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 02 2011, 7:21 am
I agree. I've given many poems to teachers and therapists, but nobody can write them for me because they have to express my feelings. This is one example of a poem I gave dd's teachers last year:

Hashem entrusted us with a priceless jewel.
We must help her shine on her journey through school.
But her feet weren’t straight and her speech wasn’t clear.
How could she manage in school this year?
We were so worried; we didn’t know what to do.
Would the school accept her? Would her teachers come through?

The school year began and we saw our jewel shine.
She didn’t talk much, but you said “She’ll be fine.”
As the months passed, her vocabulary grew.
Her words became clearer; her mistakes became few.
We were so happy with the progress she made.
With each passing day, our worries did fade.

But then our precious gem got casts on her feet.
She could no longer walk; she was stuck in her seat.
Now surely her teachers wouldn’t allow her to come.
But instead they said, “Bring her. We love her. She’s yum.”
So we brought her to school where she was carried around,
And never a word of complaint was to be found.

Now the school year has come to an end.
It’s time to move on, so our thanks we must send.
You will never understand the appreciation in our hearts
To the wonderful staff who have played vital parts
In helping to teach her, to tend her, to nourish.
Thank you for helping our precious gem flourish.

Proud Peacock, in order to make the poem meaningful, you need to put in personal experiences. You have to say what you appreciate the teachers for. Nobody can write that for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club