Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Questions about the nine days and fleishigs

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:09 am
Are you allowed to taste the shabbos food before shabbos to see if it needs any seasoning, I.e. the chicken soup?

Does the issur of eating meat apply to anything fleishig, anything cooked with meat, or just the meat itself? If I had a stir fry, am I allowed to eat the veggies but not the meat? Am I allowed to eat anything cooked with shmaltz? That touched anything fleishig, enough that its considered fleishig, but wasnt cooked with meat?

Is the issur anything fleishig, or just actual pieces of meat?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:12 am
I can't remember about tasting Shabbos food.

Otherwise you can't eat anything that you would have to wait after to have milk - eg vegetables cooked with flasihigs, chicken soup broth etc. But you could eat parev potatoes cooked in a flaishig pot that was ben yomo.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:16 am
I just read about the halachos. According to what I saw, you can taste, but shouldn't swallow.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:45 am
Quote:
MAY ONE TASTE THE FOOD ON EREV SHABBOS CHAZON?

In general, it is a mitzvah of kavod Shabbos to taste the food being cooked for Shabbos to make sure that it tastes good (Magen Avraham 250:1, quoting Kisvei Ari). On Erev Shabbos during the Nine Days one may also taste the food. However, one should try not to swallow food containing meat ingredients (Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasah 42:61). No bracha is recited when tasting a small amount of food unless one swallows it (Shulchan Aruch Orach Chayim 210:2).

MAY ONE EAT FLEISHIG SOUP DURING THE NINE DAYS?

Although it is a dispute among poskim whether this is prohibited, Ashkenazim are strict not to eat soup made with meat or chicken. However, it is permitted to eat food cooked in a fleishig pot that contains only pareve ingredients (Mishnah Berurah 511:63).

Merelyme started a thread yesterday on the halachos of the nine days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days