Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Nervous about fasting

octopus

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 10:02 pm
so it's been a while since I've had to fast for shiva assar b'tamuz. no excuses now (pregnancy/nursing). I'm nervous for the fast especially since I'm really not used to fasting. My kids are small and very active. I'm more scared about not being able to drink than the prospect of no food. And how shall I entertain my two toddlers? yipes, I'm getting scared already.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 10:09 pm
Drink and eat stuff like watermelon and grapes the day before the fast and keep the ac on.

jzmom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:51 pm
I find that drinking a lot (and I mean a LOT) of smart water the day before really helps.

cookielady

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:53 pm
Pack up kid size servings of food in little containers. Make it stuff they can help themselves too. Make it exciting for them to "picnic". (just a blanket on the floor) That should help during the fast somewhat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 2:54 pm
Drink a gallon and a half of water for 3 days prior to the fast. It's late now, only 2 days, but start NOW. Don't wait till the day before. It hydrates your tissues so you have what to nourish yourself.

Also speak to a rav about what to look out for if you are a bad faster and when you are allowed to break your fast al pi halacha for Shiva Asar B'Tamuz.

bella123

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 3:32 pm
I find the time passes quicker and I feel the fast less if I have a friend/relative to be with (maybe someone else with todlers). Just chatting to someone else distracts you from thinking about how you're feeling..

Roche

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 5:53 pm
if you are able to sleep in during the day(ans I mean the whole day, I dont fast well and need to do this in order not to collapse) you can go to sleep very very late the night before and sleep/stay in bed the whole day. the fasting also makes you tired so its not so hard to do. you can have some books handy or play a game on your cell phone. I used to have this one really addicting game 'snake' that was gr8 for fast days. good luck I get nervous myself so I know how u feel!

Roche

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 5:57 pm
well I just actually read your post op. so I guess sleeping for you is out of the question. here are two ideas 1. get a babysitter/mothershelper for a couple or a few hrs so u can relax. 2. buy the kids some fun trinkets from the dollar store that can keep them occupied(new stuff is always more exciting) and here is a third tip: keep lots of noshy snacks and already made food lunch and supper so u dont have to strain yourself too much during the fast. have fun!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 8:18 am
I heard it helps to have fruit juice or fruits before the fast begins. Fruit sugar burns slower so should keep your energy more evenly. Also heard beans (or high fibre foods) are helpful in reducing hunger pangs.

levial

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:19 pm
I read this too late, but here are my 2 cents.

I had a hard fast because I didn't prepare.

Usually I add a carb (like bread or pasta) up to a week before the fast to retain some water. I drink additional water the days before. When I say additional water, I mean a lot. I might buy a powerade or other electrolyte drink and also down a large 32 oz or larger bottle the day before. I will wake before the fast time and drink 1 cup of coffee (caffeine withdrawl headache..), eat fruit and drink more water.

The day before, rice, fruits and veggies. And water. If I prepare adequately I don't get a headache until late late in the process, if at all. If I can nap late in the day it helps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days