Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Styling hair during the nine days

Tila

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:39 pm
My son (with GDs will) will be called to the Torah July 25. I wear hats with hair sticking out. Its usually a frizz ball of a mess, and I was thinking of having it blow dried straight. My daughter wants her hair stled as well. DH is against it. MIL is all for it (I draw the line on wearing make up on shabbat..). Is it OK to stle*blow dry hair?

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 11:32 pm
Tila wrote:
My son (with GDs will) will be called to the Torah July 25. I wear hats with hair sticking out. Its usually a frizz ball of a mess, and I was thinking of having it blow dried straight. My daughter wants her hair stled as well. DH is against it. MIL is all for it (I draw the line on wearing make up on shabbat..). Is it OK to stle*blow dry hair?

Mazel tov. We want all the details afterwards!

As a guess, I'd say its OK. During the 9 days, we adopt many of the practices of mourning. I asked my rabbi about using cosmetics during shloshim, and he said it was fine so long as I usually used them, esp for work. Norman Lamm's book also discussed the fact that women in mourning must do certain things to take care of their appearances. Extrapolating, it would seem that caring for your appearance to the extent of styling your hair would be OK so long as its something you usually do.

But definitely ask a rabbi.

Tila

Post Fri, Jul 03 2009, 10:12 am
First of all, Barbara, I love the photo! Secondly, you are a lost fan!! (I am as well!).
Thanx for good wishes. I do not blow my hair regularly, neither does daughter. She will be devestated. I am sure MIL will intervene. She wants us to look PRETTY for her family and friends (all not religious...the non make up will upset her). Thanks for the adice. Anyone else out there??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days