Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New wood floors water based finish, how do I clean it?

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:49 pm
I'm moving soon to a brand new house imyh and I'm installing new hardwood floors with a bonatraffic finish. The house I currently live in has old wood floors polyurethane and I use Murphy and water to wash the floors. It smells delicious and fresh. But the professionals claim it's really not good for wood especially those with a water-based matte finish and to instead use Bona. Problem is, it looks like Bona is used with their special mop I'm used to having my cleaning lady dip the miracle mop rag in my Murphy water bucket squeezing out the excess water/detergent and moping and constantly have her rinse the rag in the bucket so that it cleans really well and the floors smell and feel fresh. Bona doesn't have a good scent and the custom mop it's meant to use with doesn't seem like it will clean the way I just described. Any suggestions?

Amarante  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 7:39 pm
Use what is recommended to preserve your floors. I don't know what kind of special mop you are describing because they all are basically microfiber which attaches to the bottom and then is washed

Vaccuming often is essential because grit is the destroyer of wood.

If there is any particular spot article it can be cleaned with a very damp rag and then dried immediately.

Floors don't need to smell "nice" - if you want your house to smell clean and fresh, there are far better ways than a floor.

FWIW, Murpheys Soap is completely warned against for any kind of wood.

oohlala  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 7:53 pm
Don’t use bona. I did for a few years are newly scraped floors and my floor just got dirtier and dirtier and duller. I switched to doing every other week water with a bit of vinegar, and every other week very diluted Murthy’s oil soap. My floors are finally clean. I have no idea why bona is recommended. It doesn’t clean!!!

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:08 pm
Our floor guys suggested only vinegar. That's what I do when we redid our floors . Looks clean and fresh.

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:13 pm
oohlala wrote:
Don’t use bona. I did for a few years are newly scraped floors and my floor just got dirtier and dirtier and duller. I switched to doing every other week water with a bit of vinegar, and every other week very diluted Murthy’s oil soap. My floors are finally clean. I have no idea why bona is recommended. It doesn’t clean!!!

Of course it cleans. Your floors are soaked with vinegar and water which doesn’t clean it and it warps and rots the wood over time. It might be a look you like but you are ruining your floors.

amother
  Cornsilk  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:13 pm
Only wood floor cleaners. Anything else will ruin your floors.

amother
  Cornsilk  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm moving soon to a brand new house imyh and I'm installing new hardwood floors with a bonatraffic finish. The house I currently live in has old wood floors polyurethane and I use Murphy and water to wash the floors. It smells delicious and fresh. But the professionals claim it's really not good for wood especially those with a water-based matte finish and to instead use Bona. Problem is, it looks like Bona is used with their special mop I'm used to having my cleaning lady dip the miracle mop rag in my Murphy water bucket squeezing out the excess water/detergent and moping and constantly have her rinse the rag in the bucket so that it cleans really well and the floors smell and feel fresh. Bona doesn't have a good scent and the custom mop it's meant to use with doesn't seem like it will clean the way I just described. Any suggestions?

You can use bona with anything. I buy a bottle and use the mop of my choice. You don’t need a good scent the goal is to not ruin your wood. And this is the way to take care of wood. Many ruin their floors because clean in their head is wet and soggy and smelling a certain way, but it’s just not what wood needs.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:23 pm
It makes sense what you all are saying...that it needs very little water. I just wish Bona had a nice scent to it so it smells pleasant...but how can it be it doesn't clean like one of you wrote?

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:26 pm
But can I continue using my regular mop and just buy the big bottle of Bona and add a drop to the water in my bucket? According to what I understood, the company has a special mop that you put in the bona detergent and it keeps spraying as you go when mopping the floor. How would I know how much detergent to use in a bucket with water, if I just wanna use my miracle mop?

oohlala  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:46 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Of course it cleans. Your floors are soaked with vinegar and water which doesn’t clean it and it warps and rots the wood over time. It might be a look you like but you are ruining your floors.

It doesn’t ruin the floors since it’s just a damp mop, the floors are never soaked and they are immediately dried. And there’s a very little vinegar in the solution, just enough to pick up dirt.
Bona doesn’t clean, it just gets the dirt deeper into the floors.

oohlala

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 8:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
But can I continue using my regular mop and just buy the big bottle of Bona and add a drop to the water in my bucket? According to what I understood, the company has a special mop that you put in the bona detergent and it keeps spraying as you go when mopping the floor. How would I know how much detergent to use in a bucket with water, if I just wanna use my miracle mop?

I used this for a few years until it finally dawned on me that it wasn’t cleaning. I went back to a regular mop and bucket. Dont bother with it.

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 9:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

You seem determined to ignore the advice of professional wood people and continue to use products that will damage your floors.

You don't use a bucket and mop to clean wood floors - end of story just like you don't wash wood furniture with a sponge and soap.

amother
  Cornsilk

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 9:59 pm
oohlala wrote:
It doesn’t ruin the floors since it’s just a damp mop, the floors are never soaked and they are immediately dried. And there’s a very little vinegar in the solution, just enough to pick up dirt.
Bona doesn’t clean, it just gets the dirt deeper into the floors.

You have it backwards. It does ruin the floor you can’t make wood damp or out vinegar on it. That doesn’t clean it, it just makes you feel it’s cleaned because it looks a certain way to you. Bona gets the grit off and is the only thing you can use on wood. One day you’ll see that you ruined your wood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating