Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
List something useful you learned after 6th grade
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:26 pm
סדר הסתלשלות.
About the world of toiyou (the world b4 our world)
How our world was creating with the sparks of toiyou.

How to deal with depression (Tanya Perek 26-27).
About kavim and how brochos trancend into this world. (Above my head)

Tzutzie

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:42 pm
Sewing. we sewed skirts, suits, linen set, and how to do alterations to add fabric, widen arm holes, add in to widen/bring clothing up to the next size.
I use those skills very often. I have girls and I like when clothing fits just so. And I'll spend time on them making it fit the way I want.
I also just sewed a new summery linen set for pesach from a pk of flat sheets that had I design I liked. It was all sheets. No pillowcases or shams so I got to play wound with those too.

Hoke economics. Cooking/ baking tips, home organization tips. Laundry rules and tips.

Children's health/developemnt basics. How to recognize eaely on deficits and delays in children. What to look out for. Where to reach out to and for older kids, how to motivate struggling children.

Computers. Typing. Hebrew and English, Basical word, excell, word, quickbooks and Adobe photoshop.

Hair cutting. I still cut my kids hair myself and often cut my sisters kids hair. And my neighbors kids have. I love having that skill. New styles can always be looked up on YouTube and practiced on dummy mannaquin heads before cutting actual hair. Because I got the basics.

And then of course more mainstream stuff like Jewish history (Ashkenazi and sefardi) American history. World history. Halacha. Hashkafa. Advanced math and sciences (I loved biology and astronomy.) Writing skills. Public speaking skills. (Loved that one too although it terrified me. Still does but the challange was a thrill)
I'm sure there is more. But I can't think of anything more now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:43 pm
Another thing I remember using when I first got married was systems of equations to figure out which phone plan was in our best interest...

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:45 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Sewing. we sewed skirts, suits, linen set, and how to do alterations to add fabric, widen arm holes, add in to widen/bring clothing up to the next size.
I use those skills very often. I have girls and I like when clothing fits just so. And I'll spend time on them making it fit the way I want.
I also just sewed a new summery linen set for pesach from a pk of flat sheets that had I design I liked. It was all sheets. No pillowcases or shams so I got to play wound with those too.

Hoke economics. Cooking/ baking tips, home organization tips. Laundry rules and tips.

Children's health/developemnt basics. How to recognize eaely on deficits and delays in children. What to look out for. Where to reach out to and for older kids, how to motivate struggling children.

Computers. Typing. Hebrew and English, Basical word, excell, word, quickbooks and Adobe photoshop.

Hair cutting. I still cut my kids hair myself and often cut my sisters kids hair. And my neighbors kids have. I love having that skill. New styles can always be looked up on YouTube and practiced on dummy mannaquin heads before cutting actual hair. Because I got the basics.

And then of course more mainstream stuff like Jewish history (Ashkenazi and sefardi) American history. World history. Halacha. Hashkafa. Advanced math and sciences (I loved biology and astronomy.) Writing skills. Public speaking skills. (Loved that one too although it terrified me. Still does but the challange was a thrill)

Lucky!

Chloe22

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 7:56 pm
driver's ed

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My 18 yo is upset that all his years of math, teachers told him he needed to know it for shopping (he'd have a calculator on his phone, he responded) or if he wants to be an architect (he'd deal with it then, he said) and he realized on his own that it really is teaching them how to think.... Why can't teachers just say they're learning math to help their brains learn how to think?!

(Pretty good realization to figure out a year and a half after leaving high school math in the dust behind him...)

Well, you see, the problem is that the thing about "not needing" maths is a kind of self-fullfilling prophecy: those who are bad at maths will not need maths, because they will not enter the fields where you need maths.

However, it would be wrong to generalize that. Those who are good at maths will be able to enter the fields where advanced maths are needed, and to them it is not just superfluous brain-gymnastics.

By the way, it is true for spelling too: those who are not gifted for spelling will probably not enter the fields where good spelling is critical. So they will not need it. They will have someone else write or correct their texts.

giftedmom

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:06 pm
Chumash, dikduk (hated it and didn’t listen but apparently something penetrated), halacha (hated that too, soooo boring) typing, essay writing, creative writing, first aid…

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:10 pm
We learned how to check for insects among alot of other useful information in Halacha. Our Halacha Rav ZT"L taught us a lot through high school!!!
PS - Anyone remember the 614th Mitzvah? והמבין יבין!

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:13 pm
I’ll admit that I wasn’t interested in earth science and chemistry and don’t remember too much about those subjects, but how can anyone say biology is useless? It’s so important to understand how your body works!

amother
White

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:16 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
We learned how to check for insects among alot of other useful information in Halacha. Our Halacha Rav ZT"L taught us a lot through high school!!!
PS - Anyone remember the 614th Mitzvah? והמבין יבין!

Lol and the 10th commandment is 'thou shall not get caught'.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:25 pm
Public speaking
How to write a term paper
How to do research and analyze literature
All types of computer skills like typing, graphics, a lot of excel , a little bit of programming and how to create a website
Jewish History
Music
How to understand and speak Hebrew
Time management

amother
Maize

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:55 pm
Tzutzie wrote:

Wow I would love to know what school this is!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics