Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Book; I love you forever by Robert Munsch
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 12:55 am
I hate that book only slightly less than I hate The Giving Tree. This book is so treacly and over-sentimental that if you don't suffer from heartburn before you read it, you will afterwards. A mother's love is endless blablabla but at some point you have to realize that your child is an independent adult with a life of his own, not an infant whose umbilical cord has yet to be cut. The mother in this story never learns that lesson. And deny it though one may, the incestuous overtones are unmistakable. If sensing them means I have a dirty mind, so be it.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:38 am
I cannot get through the book without crying every time. The book is a metaphor for unconditional love between a parent and a child, no matter how challenging a child's behaviour might be.

I also read the 'rocking' to be symbolic of their love. Although there is something to be said for human touch, and the need for human touch even at the end of life; read 'rocking' as stroking her cheek or holding her hand --- she is not alone even at the end of her life.

All in all I read the book as a big circle of life and love within it.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:47 am
one of my favorite books of all time. my mother used to always read it to me. I cant wait to read it to my baby iyH

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 2:05 am
Bear in mind it was written in 1986, probably before you were born.
Our sensitivities have changed in the last almost 40 years. Like or don’t like the book. Be comfortable with it or not. Your kid and your prerogative. But you are looking at the 1980’s with 2020’s glasses.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:13 am
How is this different than the runaway bunny? At least with munsch u know he wrote all the books in ridiculous wry sarcastic over the top tone of humor. I never read this one but think kids in loving homes will just feel the message of Everlasting love of their parents for them no matter how big they grow up to be.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:27 am
I have a hard time throwing anything away overall, and especially hang on to useless gifts so as not to offend the gift giver, but I got this book as a gift when my oldest was born and I found it so inappropriate for a young child I actually threw it out. I also hated Silverstein's The Giving Tree, so I think the two go hand in hand. Either you hate them or love them.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:12 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Bear in mind it was written in 1986, probably before you were born.
Our sensitivities have changed in the last almost 40 years. Like or don’t like the book. Be comfortable with it or not. Your kid and your prerogative. But you are looking at the 1980’s with 2020’s glasses.

1986 isn't exactly the stone ages. Many women in this site, including myself, were alive then. I never liked the book. I always thought it was weird and creepy. Even back in the 80s and 90s.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:43 am
amother OP wrote:
so right. LOL Its just creepy think I'll throw it out!

It’s my child’s favorite book. We hug each other tightly as we chant “I’ll love you forever”.

Wolfsbane

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:39 am
I think this book is primarily creepy for adults, not children. As a child I accepted the obvious absurdism of the mother climbing through the window, just as I would accept fairies or talking animals in books. It was a self-evident metaphor for the eternality of a mother's love - and the form of expression of that love is age-appropriate for the intended audience (children), even if not for adults.
(And as a grandchild of elderly grandparents, who saw my parents start to enter the caregiver phase for their parents when I was a kid, the ending resonated for me as well).

zaq

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:35 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
. But you are looking at the 1980’s with 2020’s glasses.
No, I'm not. I discovered the book within five years of publication and hated it immediately.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics