Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Army issues
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:01 am
my husband got a letter from a psychiatrist that said that it would be detrimental to him to be drafted to the army. anxiety, depression, adhd, etc (he does have these things and it would have been bad for him to go to the army but the letter is still what got him out of it)

he was also told that the army wouldnt really draft him after he was 22 - we are olim - but this was before the war so I dont know if they would still do this these days

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:02 am
Ruchi wrote:
I think that besides Israel, only one other country in the world has mandatory army conscription. I am not talking about the current war situation.
And? We are talking about Israel in this post. Thats all that matters here.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:05 am
amother OP wrote:
I also have close family members who have been fighting in Gaza since the war began. I don’t mean to bring up any bad feelings from anyone. Of course I admire and respect and daven for all our soldiers who are risking their lives and dying to protect us! But the reality is that my husband in our circumstances is not willing or able to go to the army. And I don’t want him to lie to avoid the draft. So our options are to stay and try get an exemption or move back to America. I was just trying to see if anyone has been in a similar situation. I’m sorry if it’s coming off as insensitive to anyone who has family in the army.
OP, I think the insensitive part of your op was the following "My husband got advised to get trained to act crazy and take a pill that will make him act anxious before he goes to the draft so they’ll exempt him".

To cheat to get a deferment? Not only illegal but also as a frum jew a complete and utter chilul hashem.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:06 am
Ruchi wrote:
When the State of Israel was founded. They knew that the majority of the Charedi population would never agree to serve and be part of the melting pot of the secular army.
They could have denied citizenship to ppl who wont serve and they would have had to relocate to Europe or the States.
Now starts the bashing.....
Why, as someone who does not even live in Israel, are you so invested in this?
The whole deferment was for a few hundred men. It was never thought to be for thousands and thousands of able bodied men. Never.

Ruchi  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why, as someone who does not even live in Israel, are you so invested in this?
The whole deferment was for a few hundred men. It was never thought to be for thousands and thousands of able bodied men. Never.

I actually have family that have served and others currently serving.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:09 am
amother Peony wrote:
My son is making aliyah and enlisting as a lone soldier in months.

We have no Israeli family.

My son feels his responsibility to other yidden there. I respect that. I cry weekly, privately about my only son leaving and putting his life in danger to protect other yidden. I feel like I’m giving up my son. I hope for the best and fear the worst.

It hurts when I read other Israelis shirk this responsibility, considering fraud to do so, and justifying it as frum yidden and or with Torah/rabbis.

It hurts my neshomah. My emunah.

I wrote this not to be mean or hurt anyone. I write this so others may understand the impact of their actions and words.

Sending you soooo much love and respect. I can’t fathom how hard this must be but you raised him right. You should be so proud of yourself and your beautiful Eved Hashem who feels his tafkid and responsibility to Am Yisrael so strongly and seriously. My bracha to you, and to all of Am Yisrael is that may this horrible war be won soon, and may Mashiach come and your son’s army service not be needed.
(I don’t have any boys but I have a beautiful aliya bound DD 😉😉)

Ruchi  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:10 am
Quote:
The whole deferment was for a few hundred men. It was never thought to be for thousands and thousands of able bodied men. Never

Please don't make out the founding fathers to be dumb men.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:11 am
Ruchi wrote:
I actually have family that have served and others currently serving.
Thats not what I asked. I didnt ask you if you have family here. I asked that if you dont live here...

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:12 am
Ruchi wrote:
Quote:
The whole deferment was for a few hundred men. It was never thought to be for thousands and thousands of able bodied men. Never

Please don't make out the founding fathers to be dumb men.
Im not. I never would. But they never thought it would be for the amount of men that it is for now, almost an entire community except for the select few who are brave enough to buck the system they came from.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
OP, I think the insensitive part of your op was the following "My husband got advised to get trained to act crazy and take a pill that will make him act anxious before he goes to the draft so they’ll exempt him".

To cheat to get a deferment? [b]Not only illegal but also as a frum jew a complete and utter chilul hashem.[/b]

I realize that’s why we are not doing it

Ruchi  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:13 am
amother OP wrote:
He has shown up to the enlistment office to get exempt and they didnt give it to him. Now he got notified that he is getting drafted and needs to show up on a certain date to start the process. Before that date he can leave but after that date if he doesn’t show up he can’t leave.

Otherwise can be imprisoned for two weeks under very harsh conditions leaving serious trauma and requiring counselling.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

To cheat to get a deferment? Not only illegal but also as a frum jew a complete and utter chilul hashem.

Why are you offended? It's like someone saying I was prescribed to take antibiotic but someone told me to eat watermelon instead... not offensive, just relaying what she was advised. I don't understand why you get so offended every time you bump in to someone whose values don't align with yours. It sounds exhausting!
Signed,
A mother of 2 children in the army and 1 who got a ptur because of cancer r"l

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:16 am
amother Peony wrote:
My son is making aliyah and enlisting as a lone soldier in months.

We have no Israeli family.

My son feels his responsibility to other yidden there. I respect that. I cry weekly, privately about my only son leaving and putting his life in danger to protect other yidden. I feel like I’m giving up my son. I hope for the best and fear the worst.

It hurts when I read other Israelis shirk this responsibility, considering fraud to do so, and justifying it as frum yidden and or with Torah/rabbis.

It hurts my neshomah. My emunah.

I wrote this not to be mean or hurt anyone. I write this so others may understand the impact of their actions and words.

Wow I really admire you and your son. He is a brave, strong person! I have a relative who is also a lone soldier and I see how hard it is for his parents and siblings. I’m so sorry if my post hurt you. I did not mean to cause any pain.

Ruchi  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:17 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im not. I never would. But they never thought it would be for the amount of men that it is for now, almost an entire community except for the select few who are brave enough to buck the system they came from.

This makes them sound utterly dumb,
One didn't have to be smart to know that tens of thousands of Charedim would never become an integral part of the Israeli army.
Or were they deluding themselves that they would manage to either win over the Charedim or force them into the army?

Ruchi  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Thats not what I asked. I didnt ask you if you have family here. I asked that if you dont live here...

Am I not allowed an opinion?

ora_43  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:25 am
unexpected wrote:
Why are you offended? It's like someone saying I was prescribed to take antibiotic but someone told me to eat watermelon instead... not offensive, just relaying what she was advised.

Is "you should lie about having a mental illness" the antibiotic in this metaphor, or the watermelon?

Seriously - it wasn't OP's idea or something she's planning to do, but of course people are offended when they hear about frum people breaking the law. Let alone frum people breaking the law in a way that makes a mockery of mental illness. Let alone frum people breaking the law in a way that makes a mockery of mental illness, so that they can get out of an obligation that others will then be required to bear in their place.

It's not antibiotics vs watermelon. More like welfare fraud vs watermelon.

Again, not that we should be blaming OP for the fact other people who aren't her are doing this.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I realize that’s why we are not doing it
Im so glad to hear that.
I hope you get to visit your family. Im sorry the army appointment came at such an inconvenient time. That really does stink.

ora_43

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:29 am
Ruchi wrote:
One didn't have to be smart to know that tens of thousands of Charedim would never become an integral part of the Israeli army.
Or were they deluding themselves that they would manage to either win over the Charedim or force them into the army?

I don't think they were dumb, but I do think they believed on some level that they'd be able to win over most of the chareidim. After all many of them were themselves from religious families. They saw the trend of Jews leaving more insular communities for secularism, and assumed it would continue.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:30 am
unexpected wrote:
Why are you offended? It's like someone saying I was prescribed to take antibiotic but someone told me to eat watermelon instead... not offensive, just relaying what she was advised. I don't understand why you get so offended every time you bump in to someone whose values don't align with yours. It sounds exhausting!
Signed,
A mother of 2 children in the army and 1 who got a ptur because of cancer r"l
Huh? Who said anything about being offended. I literally quoted the part of her OP that sounded not right. The part about faking being mentally ill is the part that I think is a chilul hashem. This has nothing to do with her life style or mine. Please read the replies a bit better.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 8:32 am
Ruchi wrote:
Im not going to have an argument with you about this on a thread that is not about this. The argument will go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth etc. Have a nice day.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions