Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Tisha beav camp price gouging
  Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next

octopus  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:05 am
Trademark wrote:
Then they shouldn't be surprised they grow up to be entitled brats with unreasonable expectations.

or maybe the mothers are already like that...

You obviously don't have older children yet. The entitled brats don't work on Tisha B'av. The entitled ones don't babysit or do any of those things. They don't let their kids do any of those things. It's the kids of parents that don't give them everything that try to do all these ventures.

amother
Red  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:06 am
Sometimes the mother's are encouraging it as a way to keep their preteens busy, and get them to watch their own siblings too.

Personally, I pair up with a friend with similar age kids and the kids play together while we supervise

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:07 am
My 11-year-old daughter is making a camp with three other people. ( She is almost 12, another almost 12 year old, a 14 year old and an 18 yr old) She is charging $60. She is doing it though from 12:00 to 7:00 and serving lunch and supper. They're not really out coming out with so much money. Honestly. They are four counselors, so far they have I think 12 children. Of those children, about six of them are relatives. I am sending my little daughter, and I'm paying full price for her so my daughter should make some money for working so hard. I actually never sent my kids to one of these camps as I have no problem entertaining them. I don't fast badly and it never bothered me to have them home. My daughter is working very hard on a program, arts and crafts, and all different fun stuff for the children. I do agree it's a lot of money but she honestly is not going to come out with so much at the end after the supplies and the split between counselors. She is also taking two year olds on diapers....

octopus  

My kids don't work on Tisha B'av but I need to speak up for all the parents that let their kids babysit . Every so often there are people that complain how much teens charge for babysitting.

giftedmom

Thankfully no one told the kids in my bungalow colony. Girls are charging 5$ 11-5 and boys are charging 3$ they don’t know the hours yet😆.

amother
  Amaranthus  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:08 am
Trademark wrote:
There is a big difference between $5 and $60.

I’m actually the one who insists my teens are paid fairly. I cannot tell you the amount of times they were taken advantage of in horrible ways. It is my job to teach them to stand up for themselves, to teach them to demand fairness, to prep them to deal with all sorts of situations. It’s really easy to see who has teens and who has little kids and just wants free work. I think people on here are more entitled than my hard working teens who are happy with nothing. I still won’t let you take advantage of them.

Trademark  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:11 am
octopus wrote:
You obviously don't have older children yet. The entitled brats don't work on Tisha B'av. The entitled ones don't babysit or do any of those things. They don't let their kids do any of those things. It's the kids of parents that don't give them everything that try to do all these ventures.

Who is giving them the ideas to charge so much?

I don't think this specifically is wrong, it's the bigger picture.

gcg770

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:12 am
Sorry but this is not price gouging… these girls are spending their time probably fasting in the hot summer watching your kids. If you don’t like the price you don’t have to send they don’t owe you watching their kids.

Trademark  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:12 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I’m actually the one who insists my teens are paid fairly. I cannot tell the amount of times they were taken advantage of in horrible ways. It is my job to teach them to stand up for themselves, to teach them to demand fairness, to prep them to deal with all sorts of situations. It’s really easy to see who has teens and who has little kids and just wants free work. I think people on here are more entitled than my hard working teens who are happy with nothing. I still won’t let you take advantage of them.

I don't have skin in the game. I have no need and I'm not sending to one.

Just looking in as an outsider.

amother
  Amaranthus  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:14 am
Trademark wrote:
Who is giving them the ideas to charge so much?

I don't think this specifically is wrong, it's the bigger picture.

We are telling them to charge their worth. We don’t need them burnt out so young. We don’t need them laying out money for crafts and foods. There is a bigger picture with so many more pieces. I get it’s hard to see it when you have a bunch of little kids you want free help with. But you can stretch your mind and see the fuller picture I’m sure. When I let my kids arrange their own jobs with no input they are mistreated every single time.

amother
Birch  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:16 am
The cost goes as high as parents will pay. And there will always be some parents ready to pay.

Trademark  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:19 am
We are telling them to charge their worth. We don’t need them burnt out so young. We don’t need them laying out money for crafts and foods. There is a bigger picture with so many more pieces. I get it’s hard to see it when you have a bunch of little kids you want free help with. But you can stretch your mind and see the fuller picture I’m sure. When I let my kids arrange their own jobs with no input they are mistreated every single time.

Like I said in my previous post, I don't need help, definitely not free.

I still think you can teach your children to assert themselves and to do chessed. Not a contradiction.

Also doesn't mean they have to do it for free.

I just don't think giving young children hasuges is good for them.

It's about balance.

amother
  SandyBrown  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:20 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
How many times have you volunteered to help out on tsha bav thats a big ask

When I was 11? A teenager OF COURSE!!!!
ALL THE TIME

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:20 am
So don't send your kid

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:22 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I don't agree
Its tisha beav
We're a nation we're all in this together

For 1 day can we help each other out for an affordableprice?
Women who are preg postpartum women struggling with shalom basis that spouse won't help??

Why should an 11 year old care about your problems?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:22 am
Running a Tisha bav day camp us a right of passage for the children on my block . Some years it's a group of boys,most years it's the girls. The "staff" are always under bar and bas mitzva. Dat camp runs for several hrs.
Do to inflation the price has hit $3 LOL

...my children are not entitled brats in any way. My teens know how to make money. Tisha bav is a tisha bav for them too. One should not be working unless they have to. My teens are all home (camp) Tisha bav besides for boys at shul time.

amother
  SandyBrown  

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:23 am
I’m actually the one who insists my teens are paid fairly. I cannot tell you the amount of times they were taken advantage of in horrible ways. It is my job to teach them to stand up for themselves, to teach them to demand fairness, to prep them to deal with all sorts of situations. It’s really easy to see who has teens and who has little kids and just wants free work. I think people on here are more entitled than my hard working teens who are happy with nothing. I still won’t let you take advantage of them.

I wonder how your teenager will grow up
I am talking about 80 for tesha bav camps

How is it easy to see who has teens or little kids??
I bh don't need help on t av

amother
  Amaranthus  

Trademark wrote:
Like I said in my previous post, I don't need help, definitely not free.

I still think you can teach your children to assert themselves and to do chessed. Not a contradiction.

Also doesn't mean they have to do it for free.

I just don't think giving young children hasuges is good for them.

It's about balance.

But that’s the thing my kids have balance. Just because the Tisha b’av camp is not their chessed of the week doesn’t mean they didn’t do chessed this week. And that’s really the biggest issue I’m having here. The entitlement of demanding that this particular thing is a done as a chessed and then the horrible accusation accusing teens of not doing chessed.

One day when your teen comes home describing how badly adults treated them you will be singing a very different tune. I hope you come update us then.

amother
Stonewash  

My perspective changed very much when I went from having young kids to having teens…
It’s a tough world out there. There’s a lot kids need now, even the basics cost a lot. These teens often use the money they make to buy themselves things their parents can’t.
I also view these camps overall as a luxury, at least as much of a luxury as a teen using the money to buy a brand name shirt
If you’re sending to a camp, that’s not any less entitled.
I’ve never sent to a camp. (I’m not talking about the few very necessary times- ie mom is unwell and no father in the picture…)
I agree with the poster who said the teens making these camps are the unspoiled ones whose parents can’t buy them a lot.
That’s been my experience as well.

CPenzias

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 9:26 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
I have two year old twins and no, just no, I'm not sending them to Tisha B'av camp. Yes, it's going to be hard, but I don't understand this whole camp business. I'll go to amazing savings and get a bunch of activities. And I will survive the day. I would never ever ever ever trust an 11 year old to watching my kids!!!

Lol you're absolutely right. 2 year olds are a special animal 😆 🤣 ❤️ and twins (they collaborate) my daughter is 11 and I wouldn't expect her to watch anyone under 4 or 5. Even 2 kids can be a lot and she's mature (I think)
Page 3 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note