Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Situation in israel
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  Cappuccino

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 2:13 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
My DD was in seminary 2019-20, when the seminaries closed suddenly in March due to Covid. There was a huge difference in the way different seminaries handled the situation. Some (including DD's) chartered a flight together to send the girls home (the parents had to pay), and communicated with the parents about it. They provided transportation to the airport and sent along madrichot/teachers to see the girls off, and provided the girls with food for the trip. Other seminaries just announced to the girls that the seminary is closing and left them to make their own arrangements, including booking flights, transportation to the airport, etc. It was a very frightening time and I was so happy with the way DD's seminary handled it (as well as what they put into place for zoom learning for the rest of the year, so girls could salvage as much of their seminary experience as possible).

After that experience, I felt that parents looking into seminaries should ask about how seminaries handled that sudden Covid closing. Hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again, but you want to know that the people you are entrusting your daughter to across the ocean will take achrayus and act responsibly whatever situation might develop during the seminary year--be that (lo aleinu) a pandemic, a war, or an illness/injury.

So I absolutely agree with OP that the flippant answer she heard would be a turn-off to me.

Thank you.

I feel like some people are choosing to be deliberately dense here.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
My daughter was at a seminary open house earlier, the woman was asked what is with the situation (my daughter thought the questioner meant what is the seminary doing in such a matzav). The answer was so flippant- the war is not in j-m, nothing has changed there, it is all in hashem's hands, more worried being in the USA.....
I feel like the right answer to make me want to entrust my daughter to her is - we asses every situation carefully and take precautions when needed. We are in touch with authorities etc.....
Am I wrong to think she doesn't know what she is doing???!!!
Is that how all sems are?

I'm in Israel and the answer I want to hear is that they follow Pikud Ha'oref's guidelines and take necessary precautions.

I've been here since 2006.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info