Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do I tell her? And what do I say? So young!
Previous  1  2

amother
Fern

Post Today at 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Should I speak to my pediatrician or skip that and go straight to an endocrinologist?

Endocrinologist

I talked to my ob/gyn and they said breast buds at 8.5 are „fine“.

I didn’t deal with it till my dd was probably 12 and I took her to an endo to check what’s happening with her height and weight.

Turned out her bone age was older and she matured too quickly to grow much than she was at 12. Endo said it could have been prevented/corrected before period but it’s not an issue per se as her height is within her expected range.
But if you want to influence height, you need to act before they get period.

shabbatiscoming

Post Today at 1:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
All these posts about development and periods and when/if to say something have got me thinking. My daughter is 8.5, and she does have little buds. Shes very much NOT mature, and I can’t even fathom her getting her period when she’s 10 right now. Is try at what I’m looking at? Will I have to tell her when she’s 9 and change, and possibly still not mature enough to really understand? How do I know? My other girls I discussed with when older and also more mature. What do I say to a child who might not be mature enough to understand? When do I tell her?

OP, first off, it is 100% normal for girls to start developing already by 8. Anywhere from 8 - 12ish to start. Nothing off about that.
Also, I would already talk to her. You say she is immature, but think of what would happen if she gets her period and you havent talked to her yet about what is happening in her body. Thats even more scary. You can have a discussion now and then each year if she still has not gotten her period, you can talk to her again, in a more mature way than the year before.
I do know that some schools, at a crtain point, have a whole course of devrlopment and part of that is talking to the girls about their periods.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics