Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
YT does not have to cost this much
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Maize  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:25 am
I didn’t read it but I agree. Btw with chicken- you can cut the meat off the bone to make pargiyot just to have something different and use the bones for soup.

amother
Turquoise  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:25 am
Dear OP & all that think that buying good meat for yom tov is over the top,
Does it make you feel any better when I tell you that we bh received a generous gift card towards buying good meat for yom tov??
Everyone should buy what they can afford & keep their eyes in their own plate.

mha3484  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:28 am
I don't think OP was saying its over the top just validating that many of us cant afford it and you don't have to compare yourself. Its perfectly fine if your not serving roast at each meal many many of us are not.

amother
  Rose

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:29 am
amother Melon wrote:
Wanting to honor hiddur mitzvah is gluttony? It's literally a mitzvah to have a feast that includes meat and wine.

Serving 3-5 course meals 2x a day for a week is gluttonous to me.

amother
  Turquoise  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:31 am
amother Rose wrote:

We're serving 2 yom tov meals a day for the duration of yom tov! It's not gluttonous, it's simchas yom tov, a mitzvah.

amother
  Silver  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Then for you this is not a financial issue. This is a financial thread.

My point is there are many different people out there and one post does not paint a full picture. Its best to focus on yourself than be jealous of what others are doing. I was just giving my perspective we never eat meat and have it special for yt. Not that I posted my menu on that other thread but I could be a person you are jealous of

amother
  Melon  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:34 am
amother Rose wrote:

Well that’s what hashem told us to do so you can go take it up with him. Meanwhile I’ll happily serve beautiful meals because it’s a mitzvah and what we are supposed to do.

amother
  Silver  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:35 am
amother Rose wrote:
I completely agree people go so over the top. The gluttony is insane.

The judgment and jealousy on this thread is just over-the-top

amother
  Maize  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:36 am
amother Melon wrote:
Well that’s what hashem told us to do so you can go take it up with him. Meanwhile I’ll happily serve beautiful meals because it’s a mitzvah and what we are supposed to do.

No Hashem didn’t say you need gluttonous meals. At night we always have soup and salad it’s not a Mitzvah to stuff ourselves

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:37 am
I trust that the people that posted those menus have the means to be able to enhance their meals in that way.
Saying that their menus are full of gluttony is not the torah way.

amother
  Melon  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:37 am
amother Maize wrote:
No Hashem didn’t say you need gluttonous meals. At night we always have soup and salad it’s not a Mitzvah to stuff ourselves

Eating more than soup and salad is not gluttonous. You all sound like you care more about current trends and less about what the Torah says. Soup and salad is a ridiculous skimpy meal that doesn’t fill anyone.

giftedmom  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:38 am
amother Maize wrote:

He specifically mentioned meat and wine not salad. We don’t have to eat crazy amounts to the point of getting stuffed.

amother
  Melon  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:39 am
Who even talks about how much of anything they eat. You have no idea how many people those 2 roasts are feeding. Sheesh people.

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:39 am
mha3484 wrote:
I don't think OP was saying its over the top just validating that many of us cant afford it and you don't have to compare yourself. Its perfectly fine if your not serving roast at each meal many many of us are not.

I would agree with you had Op started this thread in search for validation for not serving meat on YT. But she didn't, it became abashing party on all of us who do serve some meat.

I completely agree that everyone needs to stop comparing themselves, that's a big chunk of the reason I don't participate in YT freezer threads. The other part is that I don't have time, busy stocking my freezer Smile

But really, Op has no idea what goes on in anyone's freezers or pots. She cahave little to no meat and a freezer stuffed with sides and desserts. I can have a freezer full of meats and no desserts with very basic sides. Who cares??? All I care for is my family and the guests joining.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:40 am
amother Silver wrote:
My point is there are many different people out there and one post does not paint a full picture. Its best to focus on yourself than be jealous of what others are doing. I was just giving my perspective we never eat meat and have it special for yt. Not that I posted my menu on that other thread but I could be a person you are jealous of

I really wonder what people read when they twist a thread into what it's clearly not. Because I was SUPER CLEAR to note a few times that I am thrilled for people who make the larger meat filled meals. And I mean it.

I was also SUPER CLEAR that I wanted to note that you can also make a really nice yomtov without those things also. Because I know people read the freezer thread and felt bad.

mha3484 wrote:

Thank you. I did not say anything about gluttony, someone else did though. If you can afford it, enjoy every bite! If you got the meat in a box, enjoy every bite! If you are like me and everyone is sick of chicken, enjoy the experience of sitting in the sukkah with your family and make THAT the focus, not the main course (meat). I make BH good sides that are cheap and interesting enough that we have great meals. Just not a lot or any red meat depending on the year.

Eilu v'eilu. This is good and that is good and no one should read this site and feel less than. And no one should ever think they need to buy red meat before they pay tuition (which I know is a thing people have to deal with, and I hope Bez"H no one here has that struggle).

amother
  Maize  

amother Melon wrote:
Eating more than soup and salad is not gluttonous. You all sound like you care more about current trends and less about what the Torah says. Soup and salad is a ridiculous skimpy meal that doesn’t fill anyone.

What?? At night we literally can’t eat a heavy meal. We fill up on soup (with knaidlach) and salad (with a protein in it)

amother
  Turquoise  

amother Maize wrote:

Just because you decided that meat is gluttonous, does not mean that it is. A full yom tov meal is not gluttonous. There's no chiyuv or gadlus in having just soup and salad for the yom tov meal. The torah says that a yom tov meal is bassur- meat. Not soup and salad. If that's enough for your family, then that's good. But don't call the mitzvah of having meat at yom tov meals gluttonous.

amother
  Turquoise

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:41 am
amother Maize wrote:
What?? At night we literally can’t eat a heavy meal. We fill up on soup (with knaidlach) and salad (with a protein in it)

You can't, but plenty others can, and it doesn't make those that eat meat at every meal gluttonous. That's a ridiculous thing to say.

amother
  Darkblue  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:42 am
amother Maize wrote:

Read: YOU fill up on that. Other people prefer their YT meal of good red meat and wine.

amother
  Melon  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:42 am
amother Maize wrote:

And because you have an eating issue the rest of the world who has normal working bodies that need 3 actual meals, is gluttonous? Do you even hear yourself?
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics