Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Really fun (but not $$$$) near Monsey NY
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 9:12 pm
Corn maze (if any are close enough & open this time of year) , alpaca or llama walking.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 9:28 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Checkout the Palisades Mall. Things cost money but cheaper than American Dream Mall.

Thanks! This idea may work for our trip! Should we decide what we want to do before going? Is it absolutely huge?

For our other lower key day, probably will do that playground in Monroe and the zoo someone mentioned earlier.

Thank you!

thegiver

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 9:36 pm
amother Brass wrote:
you dont have to speak yidish you can even buy food in monroe/valero gas station and eat it on picnic tables there

The hours are only stated in Yiddish on their answering machine

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 9:52 pm
I wouldn’t rule out American dream. You can do those little animal you drive around on for $15 and get kosher pizza or ice cream. You can also go into the amusement park for free and look around or by single rides. It’s a really nice huge interesting place.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 10:01 pm
Legoland has an amazing offer now in the month of August for just 29$ a ticket per child.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:57 am
amother Snow wrote:
I wouldn’t rule out American dream. You can do those little animal you drive around on for $15 and get kosher pizza or ice cream. You can also go into the amusement park for free and look around or by single rides. It’s a really nice huge interesting place.

I'm not sure my kids will only want to walk around looking. For me- that's enough, but not for the kids. They don't enjoy rides very much anyway, so the amusement park is no go.
I can kosher pizza/ice cream anywhere - I don't feel the need to go there.
Thanks anyway!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 3:58 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Legoland has an amazing offer now in the month of August for just 29$ a ticket per child.

That's a great price, thanks for the heads-up! But, from what I understand it's too young for my kids as a whole - I have three kids 12+.
Wdyt?

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:02 am
American dream is a really cool place how about walking around and then choosing one activity like the ice skating rink?

amother
  Snowdrop

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:07 am
There are a lot of outdoor things not far lots of places to rent row boats that type not too expensive, does your family enjoy hiking/ walking rockland lake is beautiful, hook mountain easy beautiful walk along the hudson in nyack. My family really enjoys walking / riding bikes across the tapan zee bridge also beautiful. The farm on maple has vegetable picking and other attractions…

Dalia

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:09 am
I understand Yiddish. If you give me the phone number, I'll call for you and tell you the hours.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:13 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
American dream is a really cool place how about walking around and then choosing one activity like the ice skating rink?

I'm curious though - is ice skating there a different experience than ice skating in my local rink?
This is what we originally thought to do, chose two activities, but I hadn't realized how expensive it all was till I checked. Maybe we'd still think it over...
Is it better than doing the same two activities in the Palisades? They have similar stuff.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:15 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
There are a lot of outdoor things not far lots of places to rent row boats that type not too expensive, does your family enjoy hiking/ walking rockland lake is beautiful, hook mountain easy beautiful walk along the hudson in nyack. My family really enjoys walking / riding bikes across the tapan zee bridge also beautiful. The farm on maple has vegetable picking and other attractions…

Thanks!
Half like walking/hiking, most like biking. Places to rent bikes? I was maybe looking for something a little more interesting than the typical walking etc that we do in our own beautiful city.

amother
  Ivory  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:26 am
amother Anemone wrote:
You can drive to tannersville and do the chairlift up.hunter mountain

That’s really really far why in the world would she do that lol.

If you want bragging rights go to American dream and do the mirror maze + one ride at Nickelodeon (they have some veey chill ones and you can pay per ride) or the animal ride along. Then buy there pizza or chickies.

Should come out to less than 300 and if there’s one thing it does do right it’s that it feels like you went somewhere because it’s grand.

There’s also west maple farm right in monsey but I would say it’s also geared towards younger kids.

amother
  Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:28 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm curious though - is ice skating there a different experience than ice skating in my local rink?
This is what we originally thought to do, chose two activities, but I hadn't realized how expensive it all was till I checked. Maybe we'd still think it over...
Is it better than doing the same two activities in the Palisades? They have similar stuff.

Definitely an upgraded experience from the palisades.

And for bikes try rockland lake there’s a rental right there.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:29 am
amother Ivory wrote:
That’s really really far why in the world would she do that lol.

If you want bragging rights go to American dream and do the mirror maze + one ride at Nickelodeon (they have some veey chill ones and you can pay per ride) or the animal ride along. Then buy there pizza or chickies.

Should come out to less than 300 and if there’s one thing it does do right it’s that it feels like you went somewhere because it’s grand.

There’s also west maple farm right in monsey but I would say it’s also geared towards younger kids.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:30 am
amother Ivory wrote:
Definitely an upgraded experience from the palisades.

And for bikes try rockland lake there’s a rental right there.

Thanks!

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 4:30 am
I agree, definitely go to american dream mall and either pay per ride at the amusement park or they have a nice aquarium, cute lottle legoland there too.

My kids age 1-16 all enjoy there.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 5:18 am
If you have lg group and older kids you really should do a longer hike in Bear Mountain or on the Adirondack trail. Look up NY NJ Trail conference online. Pick a 6 hour hike with views and water features. Pack snacks lunch and water. Ppl come here from all over the world to hike. It's quite beautiful.

There is a totally free zoo and museum about the revolutionary War called trailside zoo and museum which is walkable to and across the bear mountain bridge. There is a small museum and possible tour of west point military academy nearby as well.

There are multiple places to rent boats, kayaks and standing kayaks. Your kids will love Taking a standing kayak into the middle of a lake, and jumping into the water. My kids can do that for hours. Again, pack snacks lunch and maybe portable grill for bbq dinner. Everyone comes home happy and tired.

A visit to the cultural spaces might work too- Sheiners for davening, maybe a Tuesday rabbi yy shiur in person, a maariv at skver and shacharis at viznitz. There's so much going on at viznitz its like a trip itself.
You must take the kids to evergreen monsey and amazing savings and maybe rockland kosher's mall. I don't know how where you're from but these stores are something else for out of towners. We do a whole tour of the monsey experience for out of town guests. It's totally appropriate for teens. And then there are iconic pizza, or fleishig dives that are so part of the culture.

Theres was a monsey view local paper that had great ideas for chol hamoed this pesach, see if its still online.
Edited to add the link:
https://issuu.com/themonseyvie.....fdd61

Enjoy!

kenz

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 5:47 am
I disagree about American Dream, you have a range of ages so you need to make everyone happy and everything costs money. Yes, you can technically do it for $300 but you’re getting very little for your money. Then what will you do the rest of the day?
Hiking, boating, ropes course, etc. will keep them happy for much longer and feel more accomplished at the end of the day. Bring a picnic as a bonus treat.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Aug 06 2024, 5:58 am
amother OP wrote:

But, any BIG idea that my kids can come home and say we did THAT? I don't like the bragging aspect, but my entire family did practically nothing the whole summer - camp mommy - so I wanted to surprise them with something a little bigger.

Look up Ring Homestead
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics