Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dental work under sedation
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:27 pm
I need encouragement... My appt is tomorrow and I feel like cancelling it.
So sedation is happening between 2 and 3 pm. She's not allowed to eat past midnight. limited drinking till 2 hours before. I asked and yes- a breathing pipe is being inserted

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Her post is not ridiculous at all. Maybe you didn't read my OP right but my question is regarding general anesthesia, my dd is being put under general anesthesia in a hospital

Then don't use the word sedation. There is oral sedation and there's general anesthesia. Two different things and two different experiences.

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:02 pm
Having a child going being sedated is no fun, but remember the alternative...
Don't cancel the appointment!!
Close your eyes, shut your brain, and tomorrow such a time, its all over...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:05 pm
Can I ask where it was done? My child failed a few dentists with laughing gas and need work done like this as well. I don’t know where to do it though

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:12 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Then don't use the word sedation. There is oral sedation and there's general anesthesia. Two different things and two different experiences.

As per her doctors wording- She'll be sedated through general anesthesia

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:14 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Can I ask where it was done? My child failed a few dentists with laughing gas and need work done like this as well. I don’t know where to do it though

Not done yet Sad . Doctor Susan Holiday. Chaim Medical referred me to them. They seem to be very nice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:16 pm
1346 wrote:
Having a child going being sedated is no fun, but remember the alternative...
Don't cancel the appointment!!
Close your eyes, shut your brain, and tomorrow such a time, its all over...

Ya this is exactly what I'm doing now... But tomorrow at this time I want her to be as healthy as before...

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:11 pm
My 4 year old had lots of dental work under general last year.
I went into the room with him. The anesthesiologist was there. They put a mask on him. They told me that he might twitch and that his eyes might roll into the back of his head. That happened. They led me to the waiting room. I was back 45 minutes later where the anesthesiologist waited with me for him to wake up warning me that he might be irritable. He was very irritable when he woke up. I carried him out to the car. He was fine an hour later.
I would say that's what to expect in a nutshell Smile
I don't regret it, it needed to be done and I believe it was as painless as possible for him.
As for the parental part- you're really not there for most of it so yes, your heart twinges when they're put under and when they're discombobulated when they wake up, but dw it'll be ok!

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:28 pm
I did this a few months ago...
I would have appreciated to know the following:
From when they start the sedation until your child is asleep, it takes a few seconds. The look of my child melting mid-scream was hard for me to see. If you're the squeamish type I would advise you let your husband be there because they have no memory from a few minutes before until they fully wake up. It's better for a calm and strong parent to be there than one who is ready to faint. It can take some time for your kid to wake up once they are done. Don't worry it's normal. My son made interesting breathing noises when he started waking up... the anesthesiologist explained to me that the muscles are super relaxed under sedation and can sound noisy when waking up.
Upon waking up my son was nuts... throwing himself and screaming when he woke up. He felt groggy and annoyed. It was absolutely necessary for both my husband and myself to be there. Interestingly, once we walked outside he got back to himself. The fresh air helped him(it was wintertime).
My son had 12 teeth that needed work, I don't regret the sedation he is still really young and didn't behave on the dentist's chair (4 yrs). It took 2-3 days for him to get back to himself. I'm sharing my experience just so you can be super prepared, I've heard from family and friends who have had simpler experiences. May Hashem help your child should be calm and safe and the work should be done in the best way possible!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:34 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
My 4 year old had lots of dental work under general last year.
I went into the room with him. The anesthesiologist was there. They put a mask on him. They told me that he might twitch and that his eyes might roll into the back of his head. That happened. They led me to the waiting room. I was back 45 minutes later where the anesthesiologist waited with me for him to wake up warning me that he might be irritable. He was very irritable when he woke up. I carried him out to the car. He was fine an hour later.
I would say that's what to expect in a nutshell Smile
I don't regret it, it needed to be done and I believe it was as painless as possible for him.
As for the parental part- you're really not there for most of it so yes, your heart twinges when they're put under and when they're discombobulated when they wake up, but dw it'll be ok!

I appreciate your lengthy explanation. For us it seems to be a longer process.
arrival 45 min before appt, work might take up to 90 minutes and an additional 30 min to wake up, another hour in recovery room.
If I see her eyes rolling even though I'm prepared for it I might loose myself...
Another question, is the kid okay the next day? Okay to the level of going to school?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:41 pm
Mp, I took the time to write because I am usually the composed type, and being unprepared was really hard for me. I think if you know what's normal it can help. As far as going to school the next day... My son wasn't ready to go the next day because his mouth was sore and in pain. but I hear every child is different some are their chipper selves in a couple of hours.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:46 pm
As someone who practices in this field, I guess here’s my chance to chime in. Like all procedures we have to be transparent with all risks so therefore anytime anyone goes for General Anesthesia there’s risks. At this point however I would stress that the benefits likely outweigh the risks. Most of the time and I really mean most of the time the kids take it well and just need a really good sleep to get the drugs out of their system and the trauma is something of the past (of course there’s statistics but it’s not going to help you out at this point). There are certain protocols in place during the procedure to insure the patient’s safety. The anesthesiologist does not leave the room since they’re the ones keeping the patient breathing, and the dentist and assistant are there as well. The nurse is there for recovery and to insure the wellbeing of the patient. When it comes to pediatrics I find that most providers are on the more gentle side even during sedation or general anesthesia. The only thing I would suggest/beg is that if your anxiety is going to get the better of you, please try to not attend the appointment. It will seriously not do you or your child any good. As a mother and provider I struggle with both sides of the issue however I put those feelings aside when it’s for the betterment of my child. It’s definitely not easy but it’s much harder watching your child not get the necessary medical care needed and likely going through even more issues down the line than can have kore permanent repercussions. Iyh your child will be fine and should definitely go back to camp/school the following day.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:05 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
I did this a few months ago...
I would have appreciated to know the following:
From when they start the sedation until your child is asleep, it takes a few seconds. The look of my child melting mid-scream was hard for me to see. If you're the squeamish type I would advise you let your husband be there because they have no memory from a few minutes before until they fully wake up. It's better for a calm and strong parent to be there than one who is ready to faint. It can take some time for your kid to wake up once they are done. Don't worry it's normal. My son made interesting breathing noises when he started waking up... the anesthesiologist explained to me that the muscles are super relaxed under sedation and can sound noisy when waking up.
Upon waking up my son was nuts... throwing himself and screaming when he woke up. He felt groggy and annoyed. It was absolutely necessary for both my husband and myself to be there. Interestingly, once we walked outside he got back to himself. The fresh air helped him(it was wintertime).
My son had 12 teeth that needed work, I don't regret the sedation he is still really young and didn't behave on the dentist's chair (4 yrs). It took 2-3 days for him to get back to himself. I'm sharing my experience just so you can be super prepared, I've heard from family and friends who have had simpler experiences. May Hashem help your child should be calm and safe and the work should be done in the best way possible!

Oh thank you so much! Your calming me... The more details I know the easier it is.
So my husband and myself are going, hub will take me over if I'm loosing it, I only want my dd to see me strong

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:16 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
As someone who practices in this field, I guess here’s my chance to chime in. Like all procedures we have to be transparent with all risks so therefore anytime anyone goes for General Anesthesia there’s risks. At this point however I would stress that the benefits likely outweigh the risks. Most of the time and I really mean most of the time the kids take it well and just need a really good sleep to get the drugs out of their system and the trauma is something of the past (of course there’s statistics but it’s not going to help you out at this point). There are certain protocols in place during the procedure to insure the patient’s safety. The anesthesiologist does not leave the room since they’re the ones keeping the patient breathing, and the dentist and assistant are there as well. The nurse is there for recovery and to insure the wellbeing of the patient. When it comes to pediatrics I find that most providers are on the more gentle side even during sedation or general anesthesia. The only thing I would suggest/beg is that if your anxiety is going to get the better of you, please try to not attend the appointment. It will seriously not do you or your child any good. As a mother and provider I struggle with both sides of the issue however I put those feelings aside when it’s for the betterment of my child. It’s definitely not easy but it’s much harder watching your child not get the necessary medical care needed and likely going through even more issues down the line than can have kore permanent repercussions. Iyh your child will be fine and should definitely go back to camp/school the following day.

Wow! Hug Hug Hug
I so appreciate your input!
I'll attend and have my husband as backup. For my child's sake I can show a strong face, unless if I get physically weak or faint ect...

mommybrr

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:39 pm
I did this last week with a 3 year old. Was supposed to be max 45 minutes of work and I got a call from the nurse in the OR that they did X-rays and found more cavities so will take another 45 minutes.
Watching anesthesia take affect was traumatic but only lasted a few seconds and I was happy to be able to hold my daughter till she fell asleep. She woke up groggy and angry about the IV. Took about an hour in recovery until she drank enough to show that she can keep it down. Had a raspy voice for 2 days. Was sleepy and slightly irritable the day she came home but woke up fine the next day and went to daycamp.
Was also nauseous after she woke up and vomited after first time she ate.
Was a difficult day but so relieved to have the dental work done. she couldn't sit in a chair for 4-5 appointments in the office..
Hatzlocha tomorrow

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:51 pm
amother Cerise wrote:

Can you please explain the difference between the two?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:13 am
My dd woke up with a cough, am I suppose to let them know? I'm afraid they'll cancel it

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:03 am
See how your child feels later this morning and they’re overall ok I’d leave it.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:00 am
Checking in- how did it go???

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:44 am
flowerpower wrote:
Checking in- how did it go???

Hi thanks for asking! Somehow I stopped get notified when there's a new post on here.

So it was a long day of fasting , we were busy entertaining her and she was okay. I was too anxious to eat so she felt good that both of us are fasting. When we went in the pre op room my daughter was so happy with all the attention she got from the nurses and she was excited to put on the gown socks and head covering. She asked me to take pictures. I asked the doctor to see all the equipment and tubes they will be using. I asked a lot of questions.

Then they took us to the operating room where she was told to lie down on that scary bed, that's when she got scared and refused. The nurses told her she'll go up, put on a mask, count till ten and then go home so then she went up. As I started counting, by the number 3 I was chocked, I couldn't speak, I held my daughter's hand and the nurse held my hand. The nurse continued counting till she fell asleep. Then they told me to leave but I didn't hear them, I was standing frozen on my place. They took me and guided out.
When she woke up it was a scary couple of hours, she acted a bit autistic... But she eventually came out of it.

B"h everything went fine and she even went to school the next day!

Thank you so much fellow Ima's who helped me go through this!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics