Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Modern Orthodox School that parents follow the hashkafa
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:04 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I think YBH in Passaic fits this category. They have boys and girls schools.

https://www.ybhpassaic.org/

Thanks! I've looked into them in the past. They're more LW Yeshivish nowadays, but definitely a school we are considering. Are there any others?

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:04 pm
Arie Crown in Skokie fits what you’re looking for. It’s a mainly RW MO crowd, single gender but one campus, a uniform but not the level of a bais yaakov. Kodesh and chol subjects are equally important. All of this filters out the crowd I think your trying to avoid.

https://www.ariecrown.org has their parent handbook you can see if it suits what your looking for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:06 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Arie Crown in Skokie fits what you’re looking for. It’s a mainly RW MO crowd, single gender but one campus, a uniform but not the level of a bais yaakov. Kodesh and chol subjects are equally important. All of this filters out the crowd I think your trying to avoid.

https://www.ariecrown.org has their parent handbook you can see if it suits what your looking for.

Thanks!

Is there anything like this in Teaneck or NJ area?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:06 pm
I think you're best off staying a dense area with a lot of options, like North Jersey. The more alternatives there are, the more likely the parents who send there share those values. For example, a modern Orthodox school which is the only one in the community is going to end up taking everyone. But like in Bergen where there are four schools all various shades of modern Orthodox, you're going to have more self-selection.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
What are some good RWMO schools.

I'm not in the NY/NJ area, but I think other people are making suggestions.

Btw, there are plenty of halachically serious MO Jews who are not "RWMO" too. The center and LWMO worlds have plenty of serious committed people. But these segments typically are open to being in a very mixed student body and wouldn't want to keep families out, even if it left them in a minority.

amother
Beige

Breurers?

Is JEC in hillside NJ MO?

Schools in Passaic?

HALB? HANC?

amother
Candycane

amother OP wrote:
Thanks!

Is there anything like this in Teaneck or NJ area?

Yes YNJ as someone said upthread

staten islander

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:09 pm
Naaleh
Rynj
Tabc
Maayanot Heichal Hatorah
Yeshivat Noam

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:09 pm
For NJ, RYNJ and JEC are really the only ones that could really be considered RWMO. And they're in two different parts of NJ so really depends where you are.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:10 pm
You're going to have to be more specific about what "rules" you're looking for. We live in Teaneck/Bergenfield and chose to send to YBH over YNJ because we felt that YNJ didn't enforce certain rules like there are kids who go to co-ed camp, who end up in co-ed high schools, which isn't what we wanted. But there are no schools that have "rules" for parents, more so that the parent body is more to the right so that comes with certain things like covering hair etc.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:26 pm
The real question here is what is the issue with your current school(s) and what do you think will be different about an MO school? If you can answer those questions, we can provide better guidance.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:06 pm
I find this topic interesting. When we applied to MTA coming from a right wing school. They were concerned that my son was coming to an MO school because of Hashkafa. That he was looking for a less strict school..and it wasn't the case..If anything after going to MTA and an MO yeshiva in Israel he is a very sincere, serious boy. He goes to shul 3x and learns because he sincerely wants to not bc he has to..and I can't say had he stayed in a more right wing setting, he would have developed this sincerity.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:12 pm
joonabug wrote:
YBH in passaic isnt technically MO I think but its also not like part of the yeshiva/ BY system.
heichal hatorah for boys hs
naaleh hs for girls hs

Was also going to recommend these schools

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:37 pm
I take great offense at the SAR comment. We are a highly committed religious family as are many of our friends. We were SAR parents for over 20 years. I don't know what your basis for that remark is, but you're just wrong.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:05 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
For NJ, RYNJ and JEC are really the only ones that could really be considered RWMO. And they're in two different parts of NJ so really depends where you are.

We send to JEC and love it. But JEC, like most MO schools outside of Bergen County NJ, is a community school. It's mission is to serve the local community not to select for the frummest parents. Yes, it skews more RW than other local schools, but it doesn't reject kids because their parents don't follow whatever rules or shitos are popular. Part of the charm is the broad mix of the parent body across the MO spectrum and beyond.

It's rare to find an MO school that filters or selects that way.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:09 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I take great offense at the SAR comment. We are a highly committed religious family as are many of our friends. We were SAR parents for over 20 years. I don't know what your basis for that remark is, but you're just wrong.

well you are not the majority of parents who send to SAR. it is overall an extremaly modern and liberal school where most people do not follow halacha.

Aurora

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
well you are not the majority of parents who send to SAR. it is overall an extremaly modern and liberal school where most people do not follow halacha.

Does not follow halacha, or does not follow the yeshivish derech?

I am not SAR, but have a lot of respect for them.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:45 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
how do you ‘demand’ adherence to a belief system?

also, this question, whether you intended or not, is pretty offensive.

Being rwmo, I don't think this question is offensive at all. It's all about the schism between modern Orthodox and plain modern. Or people who became less religious and call themselves MO but don't follow the hashkafa and halacha. It's a real problem for people who want their kids in a frum environment with equally frum friends but are not yeshivish.

Example- my dd was in a single gender rwmo school and was invited to a shabbos sleepover. I knew the mom wore pants but whatever. Turns out she had her non Jewish boyfriend sleep over and he played guitar for them on shabbos.

Good luck op. After a few kids I gave up and sent to bais yaakov and chofetz chaim schools.

jd1212

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:47 pm
To ask your question, YNJ + for high school Naaleh/Heichal HaTorah will have the most serious MO families.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:16 am
Aurora wrote:
Does not follow halacha, or does not follow the yeshivish derech?

I am not SAR, but have a lot of respect for them.

halacha.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics