Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School with out leader

headband22  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 11:16 pm
I sent to a school that my daughter receives ABA services (she is regalia smart child with some social difficulties)

The therapist feel they are ready to discharge her from ABA but the school insists she needs help.

The therapist doesn’t really assist her in class (she is not disruptive or behavioral)

The school I send to is not equipped or able to guide or make any decisions.

What do I do at this point.

The person running school has zero experience in chinuch I feel very stuck.

headband22  

Post Yesterday at 10:24 pm
Has anyone been through similar experience

amother
Cream

Post Yesterday at 10:34 pm
What do you mean by the school insists? Who is the school? is it a teacher that worked with her or knows her? is it the principal that discussed this with last year teacher? or is it someone that is in administration and makes money by providing services and if so she doesn't really care for your daughter.

amother
Jean

Post Yesterday at 11:06 pm
You can ask around for a chinuch consultant or someone that does special ed evaluations. In NJ it's called an LDTC, in NY likely a school psychologist or PhD.

Once you identify a person, ask your principal if they'll accept the evaluation (otherwise may be A a waste of $) Although if your achool has Spec Ed funding, they ought to supply an evaluation and IEP, sometimes private pay is more kedai.

headband22

Post Yesterday at 11:22 pm
I have tried this I think the principal/leader is just concerned since the school is new and not equipped to handle such things. I do think that hiring another person to make an eval will
Not convince them. I think it’s hard having a child with *** in a mainstream
School and not all schools are equipped to handle it.

amother
Lily

Post Today at 6:36 am
headband22 wrote:
I have tried this I think the principal/leader is just concerned since the school is new and not equipped to handle such things. I do think that hiring another person to make an eval will
Not convince them. I think it’s hard having a child with *** in a mainstream
School and not all schools are equipped to handle it.

Op there is your answers. Your kid is a regular kid. She got the help she needs but probably needs more tlc. You need more guidance and a school you could trust. This school is not for you. I would work on switching her.

amother
Peru

Post Today at 6:42 am
headband22 wrote:

I’m not even sure how such a school came to be. I agree with others that in the long run this might not be the best school for your child.

amother
Impatiens

Post Today at 6:46 am
headband22 wrote:
I sent to a school that my daughter receives ABA services (she is regalia smart child with some social difficulties)

The therapist feel they are ready to discharge her from ABA but the school insists she needs help.

The therapist doesn’t really assist her in class (she is not disruptive or behavioral)

The school I send to is not equipped or able to guide or make any decisions.

What do I do at this point.

I wouldn't rush to change schools.
I would suggest a transition period. Maybe take therapy down to once every second week or the inclass helper to less hours. Or suggest to the school that the helper can sit with other kids as well.
Your daughter won't lose out from the extra help.
You can also ask the therapist to speak directly to the class teacher without involving the principal.

amother
Darkblue

Post Today at 8:51 am
Does the school explain what their concerns are and why they feel she continues to need help? It sounds to me like you need a team meeting with the school to discuss your daughters progress and current concerns and how to address them. Then you can discuss weaning from services.
To me it doesn't sound like you have enough information to make an educated decision for your child. As the parent you are your child's biggest advocate and the only one who always has her concerns as priority
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics