Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 16  17  18  Next

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:20 am
Here's my unpopular opinion:

I think that most of the segulos that people run to do are nonsense bordering on avoda zarah. Doing random narishkeit is not going to force HKB"H into doing what you want on your time frame. I don't include davening or saying tehillim in this category.

Forrealx  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:37 am
Reality wrote:
Your opinions really are unpopular on a frum website!

I think many people are posting opinions that aren't unpopular!

True, I know that... It was very weird to be frum and still be like ''myself'' as in leftwing and so on..

[...] Main thing my religion is private and I'm not going to preach around what other people need to do.

Forrealx

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:44 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
I agree with you on the whole islamophobia thing (though must disagree about abortion). I am not afraid of Muslims and find it very offputting how racist many people are. Radical Muslims are a tiny fringe group, and most Muslims are peaceful wonderful people.
I actually have an extremely unpopular opinion on this topic... should I risk it? I think extremist/radical Islam and terrorists are a direct result of Zionism.
*running for cover*

True, but radical Islam is and always has been a thing I don't think it is a direct result of Zionism but I think it played a big role there.
Like for AGES literally for AGES Jews lived in peace the Arab world more than in Europe. As a result of the politics, they needed to go to Israel because they were not safe anymore. I've heard some stories about Arab Jews who were really sad about all of this and when they were in Israel they had the worst jobs and everything. I think I would rather live as jew for the last centuries (before 1948) in the Arab world than in Europe.

Plonis

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:13 am
Majorly unpopular opinion: I think that people who thoughtfully decide to postpone or delay vaccinations are just as responsible as those who have never missed a vaccine since Hep B. I think the anti-antivaxers are uneducated or closed-minded.

I am against anti-vax propaganda, but for an unpopular reason - because propaganda doesn't share the pros and cons, and I strongly believe in decisions made on information, not fear.

Very unpopular opinion: I think that much of feminism is ridiculous. I'm not a man, and I don't want to be one. In some ways men are better. In some ways halacha favors men. In some ways women are better. In some ways halacha favors women. So what? I'm just fine being a woman, knowing Hashem made me this way, and have no desire for constant comparisons and one-upmanship and competition and inferiority complexes.

Another super unpopular opinion: I think that birth control is way overused, and is not healthy.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:31 am
Forrealx wrote:
True, but radical Islam is and always has been a thing I don't think it is a direct result of Zionism but I think it played a big role there.
Like for AGES literally for AGES Jews lived in peace the Arab world more than in Europe. As a result of the politics, they needed to go to Israel because they were not safe anymore. I've heard some stories about Arab Jews who were really sad about all of this and when they were in Israel they had the worst jobs and everything. I think I would rather live as jew for the last centuries (before 1948) in the Arab world than in Europe.

How about Hebron in 1929?
Or the Tel Hai in 1920?
Or the Nazi-inspired pogroms against Jews in Algeria in the 1930s?
Or the blood libel pogroms thoughout the Middle East and N Africa in the mid 1850s?

One could argue that it was comparatively better in the Muslim Arab world than in Christian Europe, but it was certainly no bed of roses.

Did Zionism play a role? Sure -- Islam teaches that once a land is conquered by Islam, it is forever an Islamic land. So I suppose ruling over E"Y is a bit annoying to them. Oh well.
If we would just go away and turn over our land to them (they did such nice things with Gaza and Kever Yosef!) they would stop killing us.

Oh and not converting to Islam also plays a role in encouraging Arab violence. If we would just "submit" to Allah and abandon Judaism, they'd be nicer.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:51 am
chmom wrote:
The entire yekkische oilem traditionally doesn‘t believe in ayin hara
Neither do I

Yekke and Ladino aren't supposed to. Yet if you talk to old grandmas, well... there are/were amulets, and prayers, and stuff.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:57 am
debsey wrote:

3) there's no halacha that says you MUST serve milchigs on Thursday night.

I've never heard of the requirement.

tsc3  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:44 am
I have 2 very unpopular opinions.

Birth is a beautiful experience if u let it be. Unmedicated is the best. I literally tear up remembering my births and talking about them. I feel Hashem's presence in the room. I'm not such a spiritual person and am all for medicating when necessary but from my experience if u let go and let hashem take over there's nothing like it.

Not here to bash anyone, I have amazing family and friends living in the US whom I love dearly, but I think life in the US is way to comfortable in galus. Life was not meant to be that simple with ready made everything and drive thru everything. Everything and everyone is nauseatingly fake. Israel is just so much more real and down to earth and what I feel life is supposed to be.

iyar

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:03 am
Forrealx wrote:

Right like if you could get into a time machine with your kids you’d take them right back to Chevron in 1929. That would be a nice introduction to how great it would be to live among Arabs. Maybe you’d like to visit Yemen a hundred years ago when orphaned Jewish children were forcibly converted. People naturally miss the place where they were born and many Jews were born in Arab countries. Let’s not revise history on account of that.

SuperWify  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:05 am
Forrealx wrote:

Arab Jew shock !?

Yes of course the dramatic spike of anti Semitism from the middle eastern world shortly after the state was created (for example in Syria) until this day was because... the state was created. Living as a Jew in any middle eastern country became hell at that point.

SuperWify  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:10 am
iyar wrote:
Right like if you could get into a time machine with your kids you’d take them right back to Chevron in 1929. That would be a nice introduction to how great it would be to live among Arabs. Maybe you’d like to visit Yemen a hundred years ago when orphaned Jewish children were forcibly converted. People naturally miss the place where they were born and many Jews were born in Arab countries. Let’s not revise history on account of that.

Obviously it wasn’t a bed a roses. But life had it’s good times, the Jews lived in a relative leave with their neighbors for thousands of years!!

No one can deny that the minute the state was declared the Arab doors were shut and they did not let Jews leave the country. Suddenly pogroms., arrests, tortures were ok.

boots  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:03 am
nechamashifra wrote:
My unpopular opinion: It is not better to be an extrovert than an introvert.

I find that everywhere you turn, people are encouraged to be extroverts. From job openings: "looking for upbeat, people-person" to society in general "you need to get out more" "why don't you join our n'shei watsapp group?" to imamother posts "my daughter doesn't want to go to camp".

I have yet to come across an extrovert being encouraged to become an introvert. Why is the opposite ok?

Maybe extroverts should be encouraged to become more introverted too - along the lines of hisbodidus.

Ravenclaw  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:14 am
SuperWify wrote:
Arab Jew shock !?

Arabic is an ethnicity. Muslim is a religion.

livinginflatbus  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:29 am
Unpopular - taking on added Chumrus doesn’t necessarily make you a better person . Sometimes working on actual halachos is better . 2. Moving to Lakewood simply because there’s cheap housing isn’t always a smart move - nothing personal for you Lakewood folks I know most of you are wonderful people .

SuperWify  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:44 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Arabic is an ethnicity. Muslim is a religion.

The correct term is middle eastern Jew. Not Arab.

SuperWify  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:45 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
Unpopular - taking on added Chumrus doesn’t necessarily make you a better person . Sometimes working on actual halachos is better . 2. Moving to Lakewood simply because there’s cheap housing isn’t always a smart move - nothing personal for you Lakewood folks I know most of you are wonderful people .

1- most people would agree
2- why is this that so?

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:58 am
To clarify I’m referring to those people who complain about all the Lakewood rules and stuff then move there for the cheap housing . So all I’m saying is that it’s a package deal if you come for the housing you need to keep in mind everything else .

dankbar  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:15 am
Actually people don't even know why milchig is a thing on Wed or Thu, idk if actual halacha or not, but it stems from being brought in seforim to refrain from eating meat before shabbos so it should feel special when you eat it on shabbos.

allthingsblue  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:18 am
dankbar wrote:
Actually people don't even know why milchig is a thing on Wed or Thu, idk if actual halacha or not, but it stems from being brought in seforim to refrain from eating meat before shabbos so it should feel special when you eat it on shabbos.

Yes but that is on Friday, not Wednesday and Thursday, no?
I think the Thursday minhag is because women are busy cooking for shabbos so they need an easy dinner. Hence pizza.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:25 am
Life in Europe, say, in 1890 was quite different if you were in Italy or in Ukraine (or substitute with any other country). Even in those countries, it was quite different in the heart of a Jewish community and in a tiny shtetl. I do agree life in Arab countries turned to hell in almost all of them. There are still communities in Morocco and Tunisia (and Turkey).
Page 12 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics