Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Full supper recipes in the crock pot
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

SivanMom

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 9:42 pm
These recipes sound so delicious. My plan for this spring/summer is to prepare supper in the crock pot in the am, and then once my kids (now ages 3.5 and 19 mo.) get home, I can stay outdoors with them as long as they want. They are always starved when they come in from hours of playing, so I would love to have the suppers ready. The problem is, my son is allergic to tomatoes, and for some reason most crock pot recipes include some form of tomatoes (bbq sauce, ketchup, tomatoes). I'm also looking for full suppers (or the precooked pasta would be fine too) so that we could eat right away.

Imama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 6:00 am
Does anyone know if "Auto" is the same as "keep warm"?

merelyme

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 6:07 am
Auto is on high for about an hour (or a little more? Don't remember exactly), then it automatically switches to low.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 6:41 am
I have a kosher L'Pesach crockpot and want to use it over Pesach and was thinking about making meat and potatoes in it even Erev Pesach so that we'll have something to eat on Erev Pesach when there's nothing to eat! I want to try out a meat and potatoes recipe in my chametz crockpot to see how it comes out. I have some London broil. Any recipes with Meat and potatoes in the crockpot that are easy to make? Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 9:44 am
SeaZ wrote:
These recipes sound so delicious. My plan for this spring/summer is to prepare supper in the crock pot in the am, and then once my kids (now ages 3.5 and 19 mo.) get home, I can stay outdoors with them as long as they want. They are always starved when they come in from hours of playing, so I would love to have the suppers ready. The problem is, my son is allergic to tomatoes, and for some reason most crock pot recipes include some form of tomatoes (bbq sauce, ketchup, tomatoes). I'm also looking for full suppers (or the precooked pasta would be fine too) so that we could eat right away.
I've made a tomato less stew before with stew meat, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, and whatever else I have with a broth based liquid instead of tomato sauce. No recipe as I make it up as I go along.

I also make mushroom barley beef soup as a hearty dinner in there. Again, I'm not much of a recipe person but throw in what I like in there. (I actually had leftovers from it a month or so ago, froze it, and used it last night as an appetizer for my supper.)

newToNeighborhood

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 10:18 am
I'm not a morning person, so can I prepare all of these recipes (like the meatballs and stews) with all the ingredients in the pot the night before and refigerate? Please give me all your tips because I'd love to use the crock-pot during the week, but have no time in the morning for preparation.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 10:27 am
newToNeighborhood wrote:
I'm not a morning person, so can I prepare all of these recipes (like the meatballs and stews) with all the ingredients in the pot the night before and refigerate? Please give me all your tips because I'd love to use the crock-pot during the week, but have no time in the morning for preparation.
I do that all the time. Prepare everything, stick crockpot in fridge, and just hopefully remember to put it up in the AM Smile

beachgirl

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 11:28 am
Here's an easy, TOTALLY AMAZING recipe for roast chicken in crockpot- it comes out like a fresh rotisserie chicken:
One whole chicken(cleaned) or 2 smaller ones or cornish hens, if your crockpot is large

Make 5 balls out of foil and place on bottom of crockpot. Place chicken(s) on top. The trick is that the chicken shouldnt touch the bottom, and the fat drains off, so instead of the chicken stewing, it is roasting. Spray chicken with olive oil spray. Spice as desired (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder are really all it needs because the chicken comes out so moist). And here's the important part: cook on HIGH ONLY, AT LEAST 6 hours, Ive done it even 9 hrs, and it was fine. The chicken literally comes out like a fresh rotisserie chicken that has been grilled to perfection.
(I've also heard that instead of foil balls, u can peel potatoes and cover with foil, and prop the chicken on those. Haven't tried it, spounds like a good idea
Don't put any sauces/liquids. Then it would come out like a stew and that would defeat the purpose.
This recipe received rave reviews from my kids Very Happy

tamid

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 1:34 am
beachgirl wrote:
Here's an easy, TOTALLY AMAZING recipe for roast chicken in crockpot- it comes out like a fresh rotisserie chicken:
One whole chicken(cleaned) or 2 smaller ones or cornish hens, if your crockpot is large

Make 5 balls out of foil and place on bottom of crockpot. Place chicken(s) on top. The trick is that the chicken shouldnt touch the bottom, and the fat drains off, so instead of the chicken stewing, it is roasting. Spray chicken with olive oil spray. Spice as desired (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder are really all it needs because the chicken comes out so moist). And here's the important part: cook on HIGH ONLY, AT LEAST 6 hours, Ive done it even 9 hrs, and it was fine. The chicken literally comes out like a fresh rotisserie chicken that has been grilled to perfection.
(I've also heard that instead of foil balls, u can peel potatoes and cover with foil, and prop the chicken on those. Haven't tried it, spounds like a good idea
Don't put any sauces/liquids. Then it would come out like a stew and that would defeat the purpose.

thanks for this it sounds delicious.
has anyone out there ever tried it with vegetables underneath? and do the veggies ahve to be in foil,. or can they just be peeled and sitting there for the chicken to sit ontop?

reed

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 10:53 am
tamid wrote:
beachgirl wrote:

thanks for this it sounds delicious.
has anyone out there ever tried it with vegetables underneath? and do the veggies ahve to be in foil,. or can they just be peeled and sitting there for the chicken to sit ontop?

Instead of foil balls I put chunks of onions & potatoes. Those sit in the juices & soak them up, turning out buttery soft, without the chicken sitting in as much of the sauce.

AZmom09

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:55 pm
Hey!
I just made the balsamic chicken recipe tonight.
It came out really good!! Chicken is soo soft when cooked with a crock pot. Ive never used it b4 for anything other than chulent.

I did try to cook it in one of the chulent bags so that the pot doesnt get dirty and I followed the instructions and put water under the bag before I put it in, but the bag melted I guess and the liquid got everywhere. So I think some of the flavor was lost since that happened.
Any tips of how to cook with the bag without having it break?
I cooked it on high for 4 hours.

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:09 pm
AZmom09 wrote:
Hey!
It came out really good!! Chicken is soo soft when cooked with a crock pot. Ive never used it b4 for anything other than chulent.

I did try to cook it in one of the chulent bags so that the pot doesnt get dirty and I followed the instructions and put water under the bag before I put it in, but the bag melted I guess and the liquid got everywhere. So I think some of the flavor was lost since that happened.

Thanks!

Hi! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the chicken.
I'm not sure why your bag melted. I usually put more water on the bottom of the crock then the directions call for (1-1/2 - 2 cups instead of 1). I also make sure that the bag does not touch any of the metal on the rims and outside of the crock. Hope this was somewhat helpful for you!
(I usually use the crockpot bag for Shabbos only, when the food cooks for so long that it would leave a mess in the crock if there was no bag. For suppers, I don't use a bag as I find the food more flavorful without, and supper only cooks for 8 hours and does not make a mess of the crock.)

Hee Hee

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
AZmom09 wrote:
Hey!

Thanks!

I'm not sure why your bag melted. I usually put more water on the bottom of the crock then the directions call for (1-1/2 - 2 cups instead of 1). I also make sure that the bag does not touch any of the metal on the rims and outside of the crock. Hope this was somewhat helpful for you!
(I usually use the crockpot bag for Shabbos only, when the food cooks for so long that it would leave a mess in the crock if there was no bag. For suppers, I don't use a bag as I find the food more flavorful without, and supper only cooks for 8 hours and does not make a mess of the crock.)

can you tell me this recipe? it does seem delicious! I'd like to try it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:45 pm
Hee Hee wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
AZmom09 wrote:
Hey!

Thanks!

can you tell me this recipe? it does seem delicious! I'd like to try it.

Sure!
It's on page 1 of this thread, about halfway down the page. It's called Crockpot Balsamic Chicken

Soph

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 3:44 pm
beachgirl wrote:

OK I MADE THIS...IT WAS AMAZING!! I HAVE NO WORDS!!!!! I MADE IT LIJBOD ROSH JODESH I LOVED IT...MY HUSBAND LOVED IT, REALLY THANK U U REALLY REALLY SHARED A JEWEL! TIZKI LE MITZVOT

ozeret

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:30 am
does anyone have chicken cutlet recipes?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:37 am
ozeret wrote:
does anyone have chicken cutlet recipes?

They tend to come out very dry in the crockpot and are not the best cut of meat for this method of cooking.

egam

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 10:48 am
beachgirl wrote:

Have anybody tried to make it for Shabbos lunch?

sunshine!

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 11:01 am
Here are 3 recipes using chicken breasts that comes out moist

One Pot Chicken Dinner
2 chicken breasts, split and skinned
4 med. potatoes
2 lg. carrots
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen green beans
1 lg. onion
1 tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 c. cooking wine
1 c. water

Place chicken breasts in bottom of crock pot. Peel potatoes, quarter, and place on top of chicken. Peel and quarter the onion. Peel carrots, quarter lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch lengths. Separate frozen beans, and place in the pot with onions and carrots. Sprinkle contents of pot with parsley flakes. Pour wine over all. Add water, using a little more than 1 cup, if necessary to cover. Cook on low 6-7 hours.

Chicken Paprika

4 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves
4 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt

Place 4 chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock-pot. Sprinkle with half of the paprika and salt. Cover chicken with a layer of zucchini and onions. Add the oil, sprinkle generously with the rest of the paprika and salt. Pour the cup of water into the crock pot (down the side to not wash the paprika away). Cook on low temperature 6-8 hours

Apricot Chicken

6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts (not thawed)
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup Russian or French salad dressing
1 cup apricot preserves or jam
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dried thyme or basil leaves
1/8 tsp. pepper

In 3-4 quart slow cooker, arrange chicken pieces. Mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and pour over chicken. Stir to coat. Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and tender.
If you like, you can thicken the mixture before serving. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water and mix until smooth. Add to the crockpot; turn to high for 10-15 minutes until sauce is thickened. Serve with hot cooked rice or pasta.

mosma

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 12:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
AZmom09 wrote:
Hey!

Thanks!

my bags used to melt too so I stopped buying the jewish brands and now I buy reynold's slow cooker bags because you don't need to put water underneath and I've NEVER had a problem and they never melt.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics