Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent without a crockpot

besimcha

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 4:39 pm
How do you cook cholent without a slow cooker/crockpot? Scratching Head Do you leave it on the Shabbos blech overnight, and how much water do you have to put into it? I would really appreciate some ideas.

supermom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 4:45 pm
I do my cholent the same way as the crockpot just like you would add an inch over the food water the same goes for a regular pot. Before shabbos put it on the blech and wala you have cholent my husband says cholent tastes always better made in a pot. Or even better yet left in the oven to cook on 200 degrees over night tastes the best.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 8:52 pm
I've never been brave enough to leave the oven on all night....purposely, that is!

brooklyn

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 9:00 pm
My mother never had a crockpot, she always made it on the stove. I always thought her tasted better than mine.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 9:51 pm
my mother makes it in a pot.
leaves it on blech overnight.
you probably have to experiment a few times to figure out how much water -- but then again, you probably had to experiment with the crock pot, too!
good luck!

supermom

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 2:52 am
SaraG wrote:
I've never been brave enough to leave the oven on all night....purposely, that is!

never done it, that is how my uncle makes his every shabbos.

If you need more water you can always have hot water on the blech before shabbos and add if you need more water.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:02 am
I don't have a crockpot, so I always make my cholent on the stove. My problem is that every week I'm left with an inch-thick burned-on crust that takes a day of soaking to remove and that has discolored my cholent pot. Any ideas how to prevent that?

supermom

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:27 am
I noticed that happens to me sometimes when I use to much barely or beans that they end up making a chunk of a mess on the bottom of the pot. try using less beans and so what happens. also are you putting in enough water? sometimes if you use to much beans more water is a must.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 4:53 am
My cholent is fairly saucy, so I think I have enough water. My cholent is mostly beans and barley - what else should I put in it? My husband doesn't like potatoes in the cholent and I use very little meat.

supermom

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 5:34 am
chicken
sweet potatoes
carrots
eggs
kishke
chickpeas
wheatberries
rice and much more..

Do you leave your cholent on the metal or electric blech? If it is the metal ones maybe tour fire is on to high? That is whats causing the bottom ro burn? Confused

morningstar

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:34 am
I take an overn roaster bag and put the whole cholent in the bag.
Makes clean-up a breeze.

sarahd

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:49 am
With my mazel, the bag would probably melt. Rolling Eyes Thanks for the ideas, supermom. Except for kishke, I have never tried any of them. How do these things taste in a cholent? What happens to rice when you cook it for 20 hours? Carrots?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:26 am
Supermom, but how does your uncle open the oven on Shbos to check on it; I was told that you can only open the oven once on Shabbos to take everything out.

supermom

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 3:54 am
he doesn't check up on the cholent not even once he doesn't believe in it

supermom

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 3:40 pm
sarahd wrote:
With my mazel, the bag would probably melt. Rolling Eyes Thanks for the ideas, supermom. Except for kishke, I have never tried any of them. How do these things taste in a cholent? What happens to rice when you cook it for 20 hours? Carrots?

I guess it comes out okay because a lot of my husbands friends make it that way, but they don't add the beans. Why are you cooking your cholent for so many hours? I do a hour before shabbos and another fourteen hours once shabbos comes in. My cousin uses almonds in her cholent and says it is a big hit. shock as for the eggs just throw them in raw before shabbos my kids love it. The sweet potato gives it an interesting taste and so does the carrots.

The barely makes it really creamy on the bottom with the sauce it is also in my opinion lighter on the stomach. As for the wheat berries that I add it gives it a nice crunch to it. Chickpeas people use instead of barely or beans and does the same work as beans but personally I don't use chickpeas I am not crazy over them. I stick with barely. Chicken sometimes my in laws use it if they are having a lot of company so it comes out much cheaper, but there is nothing like a real meaty cholent.

Experment and see what your taste buds like the best. The spices is what makes the cholent in my opinion.

sarahd

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 5:24 pm
supermom wrote:
Why are you cooking your cholent for so many hours? I do a hour before shabbos and another fourteen hours once shabbos comes in.

When do you eat your cholent in the winter? 5:00 in the morning? I start my cholent about 2-3 hours before Shabbos, say 4:00 now, and we eat it comparatively early, about 10:00 AM. That's still 18 hours of cooking. In the winter I prepare it about 1:00 or 2:00, so by 10:00 it's been cooking about 20 hours.

ektsm

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 5:34 pm
Just cook it before shabbos and put it on a low flame on the stovetop on top of the blecht!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus