Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
How to keep matzo balls warm before Shabbat??
1  2  Next

Mamish Mama

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:18 pm
Forgive the question, but the majority of our family is sephardic and we don't make matzo ball soup.

However, we just saw a matzo ball soup recipe with a sephardic twist and I would like to make it for this Shabbat.

I am wondering how others keep their matzo balls warm, moist, and fluffy on friday nights before serving the soup? I do keep the oven on a very low setting for Shabbat so I could warm them in there or I have the blech on the cooktop so I could also keep them on there to stay warm, or are they best at room temperature?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:22 pm
I just leave them in the soup.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:23 pm
If you keep a blech or plata on for Shabbos, you can wrap the matza balls in silver foil, place them in an aluminum pan.
Then place that aluminum pan into another aluminum pan that has water in it. (Kind of like a double boiler, so that they don't burn.)
Or else, just place the silver foil wrapped matza balls on top of another pan or pot that is already on the blech/plata.

abismommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:23 pm
You could wrap them in foil and put the packet in your oven or on top of your soup pot to keep them warm.

Mamish Mama

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:27 pm
Hashem_Yaazor - they don't get soggy in the soup?

abismommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:30 pm
I din't know about her, but mine stay fine. I only posted theother suggestion because she posted the one about the soup.

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:38 pm
crbak wrote:
I think the soup is great. thats what we do. they dont really get soggy. some recipes will be softer than others though.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:04 pm
Mine don't.

hello

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:05 pm
I personally like to keep it in the soup it gets a very good taste.... but my mom keeps it ontop of anything thats on the hotplate & it stays pretty warm!!

sky

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:38 pm
I leave it in the soup.

freshie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:45 pm
never heard of not keeping it in the soup. it's like saying where should I store the carrots! it's part of the soup.

Mamish Mama

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 3:33 pm
Thank you for all of your suggestions!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 3:40 pm
crbak wrote:

I undercook them, so the insides are not 100% done and freeze them in individual ziplock portions. Then, before Shabbos I will put the frozen matzo balls into the pot, and pour the hot soup OVER it. Bring the soup to a boil (important) and then put on the blech/whatever you use for your food. it's not soggy, it's amazing and fluffy and very hot.

anonymom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 9:59 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
crbak wrote:

I undercook them, so the insides are not 100% done and freeze them in individual ziplock portions. Then, before Shabbos I will put the frozen matzo balls into the pot, and pour the hot soup OVER it. Bring the soup to a boil (important) and then put on the blech/whatever you use for your food. it's not soggy, it's amazing and fluffy and very hot.

I can't understand what you say. I find when I undercook mine, they become hard. The way I ensure they stay soft is boil at least half hour with pot covered. Then turn of flame and leave cover on at least another half hour.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:00 pm
anonymom exactly. I freeze them when they're still hardish... Then, they 'cook' a bit when I boil the soup to warm Erev Shabbos, and 'cook' some more when they are on the blech.

anonymom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:06 pm
This has to be the most amazing thing I learned on Imamother. After they are hard they become soft again???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:10 pm
anonymom wrote:
This has to be the most amazing thing I learned on Imamother. After they are hard they become soft again???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

try it and you'll know for sure!!! Unless they are hard because your mixture wasn't a fluffy one... but in my kitchen, that's what happens!

anonymom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:12 pm
Can't wait to try it. I hate not being able to do matzo balls in advance. Thanks.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 10:43 pm
I keep mine in the soup as well, they always taste grate and they're nice and fluffy.

Inspired

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 6:29 am
Another vote for keep mine in the soup.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics