Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Sippy cup

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:26 pm
is there a sippy cup with bigger holes that is good for smoothies? I'm really excited to start making dd smoothies now that she drinks milk, but I know that it will get stuck in her playtex cups.

shayna82

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:31 pm
make the holes bigger

BlumaG

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:32 pm
try the playtex sippy straw cups

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:40 pm
I can't make the holes bigger, it's hard plastic.

blumag- she just turned a year old, do you think she'll be able to figure out how to use a straw cup?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:50 pm
I think she will. It might take her a few tries, but once she gets it, she'll get it! :-)

shopaholic

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 1:53 pm
My friend's 13 month old only drinks from a cup with a straw & he does it quite well. Start with a juice box. Squeeze some juice up the straw & your chikd will automatically suck to get more.

Kumphort

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 2:38 pm
my son started drinking Lebens with a straw at about that age.. I cut the straw as short as possible to help out at first, and we also started with juice boxes to teach him how to drink from the straw.

shoy18

Post Mon, Apr 10 2006, 3:48 pm
try the nuby sippy cup, it has a soft top and it can be cut a little

BlumaG

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 9:16 pm
my nephews use sippy cups with straws, I havnt bought any for my kids yet but I will, the otherk ind r cheaper Very Happy

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 16 2006, 10:57 pm
momof3- thanks! I taught her how to use a juice box over yom tov and today she had her very first smoothie from a straw cup and it worked! (b"h because all she's been eating is matzah nonstop, I had to trick her into having something nutritious!)

hardwrknmom

Post Mon, Apr 17 2006, 8:31 pm
shoy18 wrote:
try the nuby sippy cup, it has a soft top and it can be cut a little

I have over 10 different sippy cups in my closet and these nuby cups (thanks to shoy Smile are the best!

cl

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 9:50 am
DS learned how to use a straw around 12m.

my friend gives her kids luke-warm soup with a straw so it doesnt make a huge mess. I think I might start doing that too.

re:sippy cups
I bought all the fancy, no-spill, valve etc type of cups and DS hates them cos he has 2 suck 2 hard 2 get the drink out. He just throws them on the floor in disgust. My sis sent me a NUBY and I cut the middle hole a bit an now its his fave.
For smoothies u can try the Dr Brown bottles with the rubber sippy attachment instead of the regular nipple. For plain milk I think its a bit too fast. It has a large opening an less likely for smoothie to spill out than with a straw.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 11:43 am
cl wrote:
DS learned how to use a straw around 12m.

my friend gives her kids luke-warm soup with a straw so it doesnt make a huge mess. I think I might start doing that too.

re:sippy cups
I bought all the fancy, no-spill, valve etc type of cups and DS hates them cos he has 2 suck 2 hard 2 get the drink out. He just throws them on the floor in disgust. My sis sent me a NUBY and I cut the middle hole a bit an now its his fave.
For smoothies u can try the Dr Brown bottles with the rubber sippy attachment instead of the regular nipple. For plain milk I think its a bit too fast. It has a large opening an less likely for smoothie to spill out than with a straw.

I just taught my 9 month old how to use a straw....A speech therapist friend of mine said sippy cups are not good for proper development, and straws are better. It's the type of straw that folds back into the bottle (it's attached) so it's almost as good a sippy cup, except I have to open it for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics