Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
RH -- what to cook/not to cook
1  2  Next

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 3:27 am
This might be the first RH in a looooong time that we're having company instead of being invited out, and I can't remember which foods I'm supposed to incorporate into my meals and what not to have (and reasons behind them, out of curiosity)?? I'm getting confused by all these threads! I'll have apples and honey, was successful in my first attempt at gefilte fish from scratch which I made yesterday and stuck in the freezer, and made squash kugel (is that another siman?), but I don't remember which foods are not to be served? Also, are the simanim done on the first night or second, or both? TIA!

Marion

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 4:14 am
Both nights, but we usually save one for just the 2nd night to double as our shehecheyanu.

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 4:44 am
From the looks of a walk through the produce section of Rami/Mr. Z any day of the year, probably won't have any problems finding a new fruit!! Only in Israel... Smile

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 4:46 am
I think you will get different answers according to different minhagim, but I will tell you ours:

Simanim (both nights): apple and honey, pomegranate, carrots, rubia (type of bean), leek, fish head, fish, kara (type of gourd), beets (selek) or silka (some green stuff)

Round challas

Not to eat: nuts (but almonds are okay), grapes/ raisins, anything sour (we say anything where the taste of vinegar, lemon juice etc is noticeable, after several discussions about things like mayonaise)

mominisrael2

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 4:53 am
OK, got it -- round challahs are made already, carrots go well with my chicken recipe, and nut/raisin dessert moved to Sukkot meal and making something gooey and chocolate for RH instead Smile Thanx!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 5:39 am
search for simanim, and you'll see some threads with actual recipes.
Silka is leaves of beets or swiss chards, not the beetroot. I parboil them and sautee with minced garlic.
Fish head--I usually get either salmon or seabass heads, stuff with gefilte fish mix and bake.
We also serve dates.

As for things to avoid, we serve green olives but not black olives.
We also do simanim both nights.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 6:12 am
I didn't say silka is beets. I said we have either beets or silka. Beets are called selek in Hebrew, so you can say the same yehi ratzon 'sheyetzalku oiyvaynu v'sonainu' (I think). The SA says you can say the yehi ratzons according to the language of the country.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 8:46 am
As far as tart foods, vinegar: depends on your minhag. Some avoid certain ingredients totallly, others just the overall taste, others don't avoid because it's their oneg yom tov.

ClaRivka

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 9:07 am
Ive always had a problem with these foods that youre not allowed to eat....If you eat something with lemon in it do you really think youll have a sour year??

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 9:41 am
ClaRivka wrote:
Ive always had a problem with these foods that youre not allowed to eat....If you eat something with lemon in it do you really think youll have a sour year??

It makes sense; if you do eat certain foods for a positive outcome, it seems logical to avoid others, just the flip side. That said, if one doesn't have a strong minhag then don't worry. Concentrate on making yummy food lekavod yom tov.

For people cooking for guests, be aware that some will prefer to avoid certain foods so you may want to have an option or two; OTOH they should be prepared for different people's minhagim (or lack of them) if they don't bring it up with the hosts well in advance.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 11 2009, 10:37 am
It pays to ask your rov.

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 5:52 am
Why no raisins?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 6:50 am
No raisins? Are you referring to the reference to a nut/raisin dessert? Not the poster there but my guess is that it's the nuts, not the raisins that are the culprit.

Rabbi Heinemann has a siman food that's not totally tongue in cheek, calling for lettuce, raisins (or half a raisin ) and celery, the nusach being, Lettuce half a raisin celery. (say it out loud ;-)

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 6:53 am
Not eating grapes/raisins is brought down by the Gra.

sped

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:05 am
This will be my first time making the simanim. My parents stick to apples, pomengranates and carrots, and last year my MIL sent us.
Can you help me with - what do I use here for rubia and gourd here. Is silka - "alei selek"?
Also, with the worm issue in fish, what do you do with the fish head? I got a frozen salmon head. Can I cook it and eat as is?
Thanks

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:09 am
shalhevet wrote:
Not eating grapes/raisins is brought down by the Gra.

Wow. I never heard this. Why?

freidasima

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:11 am
fayge that's hysterical!

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:20 am
((((Faigie))))
Thanks for tyhe giggle.... I was drinking my coffee and saying in my head, it took 5 or six tries but I FINALLY got it and giggled!!

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 7:22 am
I always thought people made raisin challah for RH?!?! My kids told me not to so I won't be doing it regardless, but still...hmmm.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 8:55 am
mominisrael2 wrote:
I always thought people made raisin challah for RH?!?! My kids told me not to so I won't be doing it regardless, but still...hmmm.

Not everyone goes by all the hanhagos of the Gra, even the most thoroughbred Litvaks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur