Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do you leave baby in car when paying for gas?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Would you leave baby in the car while you pay for gas?
Yes  
 29%  [ 22 ]
No  
 70%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 75

gold21

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:24 pm
I do hear your point, HY. you are saying that while the risk may be negligible, you dont want to take any risks at all. dunno why im still posting on this thread- im just bored, waiting at doc office.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:26 pm
Wifi? Smile
I try to minimize whatever risks I can possibly do. While I still do need to drive my kids in cars, at least they can be in safe car seats. While I still do need to cross the street, I can make sure to look right, left, right before crossing.
So for me, I can think a little in advance how not to leave my kids in the car while I pay away from the car, and that's what I do.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
I hear ya. have there been car-jackings when mom was ten feet away from the car and sees it?

I wrote this earlier. This happened in Baltimore when I was growing up on a private block.
I knew someone where they left the car running (it was for a medical reason - long story). Someone jumped in the car in one second while the parent was right outside and drove off with 7 kids. b'h everyone was fine but it was terrifying.

That is why I will never leave my car running when I'm not inside.

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:30 pm
Please, please tell me that no one is putting gas into her car while the motor is running?!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:34 pm
Fox wrote:
Please, please tell me that no one is putting gas into her car while the motor is running?!
I most certainly hope not!! But the car might be left on to pay for AC purposes. Again, I hope not. I'd still feel safer if people turned off the car, opened windows, and locked it if they had to step away.

Atali

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
alyways gratefrul a while ago a mother ran into her house to get something and someone jumped into her car and drove off with her kids so we should just be aware and extra carfeul

In a locked car with the keys not in it?

I don't think so.

Nobody in their right mind leaves the keys in the car while paying for gas, whether kids are in the car or not.

raizy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 12:42 am
well my two brainy sisters left the car alone for one second litarlly one was going up the stairs one was going down the stairs. the baby was sleeping in the car. and the rest was history.. the car got stolen and the baby was inside...
she was carnapped for 30 mintes. let just say the theive got a huge shock when he relized that there was a sleeping baby inside. and dumped the car at a store and made a phone call to the police. imagine if he had decided to dump the baby on the sidewalk. and he did tamper with the infant seat. he was a nut case bc he was trying to take the whole car seat off when all he needed to do was lift it off from the top. thank hasham he had no seichel...

never leave a baby alone even for one second never turn your back to the car. ...

Aribenj

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 10:28 pm
Let me ask you this: If you had to just "run in and pay" would you just take your credit card and leave your purse in the car?

Atali

Post Tue, Jul 28 2009, 10:31 pm
Aribenj wrote:
Let me ask you this: If you had to just "run in and pay" would you just take your credit card and leave your purse in the car?

I actually have (with the door locked, of course). You can see the car the whole time from the gas station window.

I also don't have to worry that my purse will run off and get hit by a car while I am paying.

Inspired

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:22 am
In case any of you who leave kids alone in the car live in Florida FYI BH it is now against the law to do so there, you can be arrested.

http://www.justicenewsflash.co......html

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.gov says according to new research, the leading cause of non-crash vehicle deaths in children is hyperthermia. The Palm Beach Post states, nearly 400 children across the U.S. have died from hyperthermia since the mid 1990’s. Some people claim, the law that moved small children to the backseat, to protect them from the impact of airbags in an accident, has made it easier for some parents to forget their children in the car.

NHSTA has provided some safety tips to prevent accident hyperthermia deaths in children:

• Never leave any child unattended inside a motor vehicle.
• Never leave infants or children in a parked motor vehicle with the engine running and the air conditioning on, or the windows cracked.
• Make it a routine habit to look in your vehicle before locking the doors and walking away.
• If you normally bring your child to daycare, and your spouse happens to take the child instead, have your spouse or partner call you to verify the child arrived safely at daycare.
• If you happen to see a child left alone in a hot vehicle, call the police immediately.
o Warning signs of hyperthermia include: red, hot, and moist or dry skin, no sweating, nausea, acting strangely, and a strong rapid pulse or slow weak pulse. Attempt to cool the child immediately and contact 911 or your local emergency medical services.

Tova

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:45 pm
I just got back from the supermarket; kids were home with my husband and I left my cart with purse inside at an open space in the produce department while I went to some more crowded sections to select my produce. Well, I came back and one of the produce workers was admonishing me that I left my purse unattended and that anyone can take it.... I thought - what's the big deal. It's just a purse - everything in it can be replaced in the 1 in whatever chance someone would snatch it - it's not like I left my KIDS unattended!

toastedbagel

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:15 pm
Here is another vote for YES. I'm another Australian with no pay-at-the-pump. I do not consider my children to be unattended when I am within 20 feet of the (locked) car and can see it the entire time from the wall-to-wall windows. How are they unattended if they are in my eyesight??

And yes, I have taken my credit card/wallet and left the rest of the purse in the car. The car is locked and I am watching it for goodness sakes, it is not abandoned, it is not even unsupervised.

And for those of you who said that you never leave the baby in the car for one second, even when you come home with groceries, how about this one: Coming home with four kids and the OLDEST is TWO (Yes I really had this situation for a couple months), and they are all asleep. How do you get them all into the house? Wait hours and hours for your husband to come home and ferry them in one at a time while you wait in the car? What if he is out of town or something?

Get real people. Obviously children should not be left unattended. But the gas station situation is not unattended, and if you've got to get more babies into the house than you can carry at once, use seichel, lock the car, and move quickly. What other choice do you have, other than never go out with more children than you can carry in your arms?

That said, I would not leave the car running without me there, as I did once with another adult in the car (a friend), and she left the car (a misunderstanding on her part, but a dumb move anyway), and someone adventurous and highly underage got to the wheel. BH all was alright - we must have had a few Malachim driving that car - but since then my husband and I do not trust any other adult besides ourselves with a running car. But a car that is off and locked and a) watched or b) unattended for twenty second gaps, sometimes I think you just have to be realistic.

Raizle

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:13 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Since everyone else who voted "yes" is still anonymous - I'd like a logical response. What exactly are you scared of? Again, this is assuming that this is a one-minute transaction (I would see your point if there were a line of people in front of you so you'd be there for more than a minute or so). Assuming that you lock the doors. Take the keys with you. You're talking about people walking off with babies. Great - just please explain to me how exactly that would happen? In less than a minute in a locked car?

I understand the danger of overheating, and that really scares me. At the same time, I highly doubt that I will forget to go back to the car after paying for gas.
I don't think that for an experienced car thief it takes that long to break into a car. He isn't after your baby, he is after the car and he might not notice or care that your baby is there. There have been plenty of stories of cars stolen with kids still inside them.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:23 am
I don't like to tell this story because it traumatised me terribly but in order to drive the point home I will.
For all those of you saying you leave the baby in the car because you can see through the window of the kiosk and keep an eye out ..

I live in Australia and I used to leave my kids in the car and then someone told me that she heard in the news once about a mother who went into 7-11 or the likes for a minute and saw someone trying to steal her car, She quickly ran out to take her kid out of the car and his foot got stuck in the belt as she was pulling him out. The guy drove off with the kid hanging head first out and the ending wasn't pretty.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 2:00 am
gold21- I like your sense of humor. But about the topic of this thread- this is the honest truth- I do sometimes do it - but always feel guilty about it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 11:41 am
Tova wrote:
I just got back from the supermarket; kids were home with my husband and I left my cart with purse inside at an open space in the produce department while I went to some more crowded sections to select my produce. Well, I came back and one of the produce workers was admonishing me that I left my purse unattended and that anyone can take it.... I thought - what's the big deal. It's just a purse - everything in it can be replaced in the 1 in whatever chance someone would snatch it - it's not like I left my KIDS unattended!

(I think I had the same guy berate me, and I didn't really have the cart out of my eyesight!)

toastedbagel

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
I don't like to tell this story because it traumatised me terribly but in order to drive the point home I will.
For all those of you saying you leave the baby in the car because you can see through the window of the kiosk and keep an eye out ..

I live in Australia and I used to leave my kids in the car and then someone told me that she heard in the news once about a mother who went into 7-11 or the likes for a minute and saw someone trying to steal her car, She quickly ran out to take her kid out of the car and his foot got stuck in the belt as she was pulling him out. The guy drove off with the kid hanging head first out and the ending wasn't pretty.

I hear you, and if true it sounds pretty tragic, but if that is going to happen, it's going to happen even if the mother is standing next to the car.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:39 am
I only go to the gas station if I have a credit card to pay with & I never leave my keys in the car if they are in it.

Atali

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:39 am
toastedbagel wrote:
amother wrote:

I hear you, and if true it sounds pretty tragic, but if that is going to happen, it's going to happen even if the mother is standing next to the car.

There was a story here in America recently of a woman standing right next to her car who had just finished pumping gas. A guy came and punched her and then drove off with the car--and her baby.

B"H he abandoned the baby at a hotel and found her mother.

In that case it really made no difference that she was right next to the car.

Atali

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:40 am
chaylizi wrote:
I only go to the gas station if I have a credit card to pay with & I never leave my keys in the car if they are in it.

But what would you do if no gas stations in your city let you pay at the pump? In Australia they don't.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics