Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
No oven needed dairy menu for shavous
Previous  1  2

Inspired

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 4:47 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Sure, I respect it if they actually ask about what they're doing and that's what they're told to do. It's pathetic when people do extra things just because they're afraid to call a Rabbi. I grew up in a home like that, and it wasn't pleasant.

Just so I don't lose your respect I have learned to keep separate ovens from numerous rabbis, learned the reasons to do so for myself and dh has smicha in basar vechalav. We are not afraid to call a rabbi. I hate cleaning my oven- one criteria of sharing an oven is that it be clean. Also, I don't cook anything in an oven covered. I much prefer the ease and convenience of 2 separate ovens.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 4:49 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
So some people never cook dairy in an oven? You can't cook stuff in the oven with foil over it? Maybe some people should take a class on Kashrus and see if they're being unecessarily machmir.

what can you cook covered? maybe lasagna, but things like quiche and cheesecake probably wouldn't cook well. (I don't know, I've never tried)

btw if you are planning to get a milk microwave, you can get microwave that doubles up as an oven.

I would also think it is cheaper to get a milk oven in the long run - think of all the foil!

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 8:49 pm
smoms wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
If anybody needs a no-bake cheesecake recipe or a cold Milchig mango soup recipe, let me know.

I would love both of those recipes. Thanx!

Mango Soup

4 ripe mangos, peeled and pitted
1 ripe banana, peeled
2 (8 oz.) containers plain yogurt
1/2 cup sugar, or sugar substitute to taste
sliced strawberries, for garnish (optional)

Combine all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
Ladle into chilled bowls and garnish with fresh sliced strawberries, if desired.

(This makes a delicious smoothie too. Just pour into a glass.)

No Bake Cheese Pie (Thank you DefyGravity!)

1 (9") graham cracker pie crust
1 cup cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup farmer cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint sliced strawberries or whole blueberries

In a large bowl combine cheese, sour cream honey and vanilla. Beat well. Pour filling into cooled crust. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
Thaw pie in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving. Garnish generously with fresh strawberries or blueberries.

This is delicious! Pie is the key word here.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, May 03 2012, 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

ChossidMom

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 11:38 am
For the record, I also have separate ovens for milchig, fleishig and pareve.
Unfortunately, my milchig oven is a toaster oven and as such is fairly small...

newlymarried

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 12:25 pm
I saw in other threads that people who only have a toaster oven for milchick are planning to serve cold dairy-last year I cooked everything in advance in the toaster oven, and then to heat it up, I used those things, not sure what they are called, but you put a foil pan with water and then another foil pan, and you light these special paraffin candles underneath.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 1:51 pm
newlymarried wrote:
I saw in other threads that people who only have a toaster oven for milchick are planning to serve cold dairy-last year I cooked everything in advance in the toaster oven, and then to heat it up, I used those things, not sure what they are called, but you put a foil pan with water and then another foil pan, and you light these special paraffin candles underneath.

sternos. you could probably use a shabbos plata as well, if you are allowed to use a fleishig plata for milchig.

gryp

Post Sun, May 24 2009, 2:05 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-cooking-oveneveryday.htm

Thanks for the link, I never knew people held that way.

I don't even put a pareve dish in the oven with a fleishig dish, if I'll be eating the pareve one with fish. And yes, I asked. Wink

Yamama

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 4:34 am
1- Regarding the blintz Torte -- We have been making it every Shavuos for MANY years. We layer the bletlach with the filling, and DAVKA freeze them, at LEAST overnight. This way the dough absorbs some of the moisture from the filling, and it all holds together and cuts beautifully. Besides Shavuos, it's also great to have in the freezer for a last minute supper. Just turn out, defrost, and top with sour cream, whipped cream or confectioners sugar and sliced strawberries or strawberry sauce.

By the way, although I have 3 ovens, I like this recipe because I don't have to heat up the house with another oven, it is lower in calories, because there is no frying of filled blintzes, and is therefore also easier!

2- I think some of us have to learn to foster some more mutual respect here. Within orthodoxy there is a very wide range. I don't think I've noticed people knocking people who are (to us) quite lenient. Many of us use 2 ovens for actual halachic reasons. I was told that if one wants to use an oven for both dairy and meat:

The oven must be very clean.

One must wait 24 hours between them.

One should have separate racks.

And the food should be tightly (doubly) covered.

In a self-cleaning electric oven, which goes to over 900 degrees F. I was told I can use pareve and either milchig or fleishig. If the other is only used rarely (I.e. for Shavuos) it would also be alright. The reason being that it is too easy to forget if we kashered the oven, and if we forgot and went from milchig to fleishig or vice versa, we would have something treife, chas v'sholom!

Most of us don't dream these things up, we ask rabbonim. I learned this in a class with a well-known rav. I'm really sorry that you grew up with an unpleasant situation in your home. Let's live and let live, though.

FYI, at least one very well known kashrus agency told me that they only supervise ingredients, and not processes (I.e. pas Yisroel, bishul Yisroel, checking for insects, cholov Yisroel...) SO THAT THEY CAN MAKE A LARGE AMOUNT OF PRODUCTS AVAILABLE FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE -- to make it easy enough for them to keep kosher. It doesn't mean that these "processes" are not halacha.

I hope I haven't opened another can of worms. Just please respect us (or at least don't mock us) and we will do the same.

Thank you.

bodybalance

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:17 am
Chabad are very stringent and do not use one oven for both milk and meat (if not double covered).
They are perfectly aware of the Halachas. It is just their derech.
When I was on Shlichus, I went to non-Chabad families for Shabbas meals
and DID consult my Rabbi beforehand and he explained that this is what we do.

Every person should conform to his/her own standards.

Yamama

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 9:54 am
R' Wagschal of Gateshead also wrote (in A Practical Guide to Kashrus)

separate shelves for milk, meat and pareve
absolutely clean
waiting 24 hours
closed utensils
not at the same time

willow

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 1:40 pm
Yamama what is a blintz Torte
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus