Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA Remember to take your children out of the car!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:22 am
Yesterday, my husband took the van to the airport to pick up my sister, and the baby was in the back...he never parked and left the baby in, but when my sister came in and made a comment about the baby he said "I totally forgot she was back there!" It's way too easy to not remember a sleeping baby even to the best of us.

Inspired

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:24 am
amother wrote:
Gosh this is really very scary. I'm a real space cadet so I get very nervous about these things. I am always forgetting things and leaving things all over the place. I actually have left my baby in a store once embarrassed It wasn't for too long but she was sleeping, so while I was paying I left her stroller in a little corner near the register where it wouldn't be in anyone's way ( think crowded small store). After I left the store already, I was reminded by someone "where's the baby?" yeah pretty embarrasing. That's why I'm always so worried that something like this could happen again. What is a forgetful, spacy person supposed to do? any ideas?

My first thought besides the stuff on this thread is to tie a string from your key chain to the car seat.

realeez

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 6:26 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yesterday, my husband took the van to the airport to pick up my sister, and the baby was in the back...he never parked and left the baby in, but when my sister came in and made a comment about the baby he said "I totally forgot she was back there!" It's way too easy to not remember a sleeping baby even to the best of us.

Especially when it is out of your normal routine. A couple of years ago, I was driving my dd to my ILs instead of my parents on my way to work on a Sunday and 2-3 mins into the drive, my dd (about 3 y.o.) started talking to me and I got so startled not being used to having her in the car with me on that route! It was then I realized how scary it is when one parent takes the baby to the babysitter on the way to work when it's not part of his/her normal routine and it makes sense to have your purse/briefcase in the back near the child (which incidentally I did).

Inspired

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 9:28 am
B
U
M
P

Please, please,remind your friends. please.

http://matzav.com/frum-child-f.....ering

Inspired

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:21 am
Up to #19
http://www.azfamily.com/news/L......html

This is #15:
Quote:
Lexington baby left in hot car dies
5-month-old girl was found inside vehicle on a residential street
By Shawntaye Hopkins - shopkins@herald-leader.com

A baby girl who was found unresponsive Saturday inside a hot car parked on a residential street in Lexington died Sunday morning at University of Kentucky Hospital, according to the Fayette County coroner's office.

Police were called Saturday afternoon to 2976 Candlelight Way and found 5-month-old Holland Judy of Lexington inside a car about 3 p.m. The temperature was about 85 degrees at the time, which was the high for the day.

Holland was rushed to the hospital and regained consciousness shortly before 6 p.m., police said. She died about 6 a.m. Sunday from hyperthermia, or heatstroke, the coroner said.

The death is being investigated as an accident, according to the coroner's office.

Officers with the Crimes Against Children Unit and Forensic Services interviewed the child's mother Saturday afternoon, Lt. Richard Bottoms said. Police have not released further information about their investigation.

According to Kentucky law, a person may be charged with second-degree manslaughter if he or she wantonly causes the death of a child younger than 8 by leaving the child in a vehicle. Second-degree manslaughter is a Class C felony.

Reporters hovered Sunday afternoon on Candlelight Way as neighbors drove past the duplex where the incident occurred and asked questions about the child's condition. It appeared no one was at the home Sunday afternoon.

Holland was the 15th child in the United States this year to die from hyperthermia after being left in a hot car, according to research by Jan Null, an adjunct professor of meteorology at San Francisco State University.

Null's Web site says that at least 33 children who were left in cars died of hyperthermia last year and that 460 have died since 1998. Ten of those children were from Kentucky.

Just more than half of the children were forgotten by caregivers, according to Null's research. An additional 30 percent were playing in unattended vehicles, and 18 percent were intentionally left by an adult, according to her examination of media reports.

Holland's death came exactly a year after the last heatstroke death of a child in a car in Lexington. April Knight, 2, died June 20, 2009, after she was left in a car on North Upper Street. She had spent the day at Jacobson Park with her grandparents and other children, then returned to the grandparents' home.

The grandparents thought a younger child was getting April out of the car. Two hours later, they found April still inside the vehicle.

Experts recommend that parents never leave a child unattended in a vehicle for even one minute and to call 911 if a child is seen unattended in a hot vehicle.

To avoid forgetting a child, experts recommend a caregiver keep a stuffed animal in the car seat. When a child is put in the seat, the animal should be placed in front with the driver. They also recommend putting a purse or briefcase in the back seat as a reminder that a child is in the car.

Heatstroke occurs when a person's temperature exceeds 104 degrees Fahrenheit. A core body temperature of 107 degrees is considered lethal.

Null's study of vehicular hyperthermia found that children can die in relatively mild temperatures of about 70 degrees when left in a car. The temperature inside a car can rise 29 degrees in 20 minutes during warm weather.

Inspired

Post Fri, Jul 30 2010, 1:52 am
PLEASE Figure out a way to remind yourself!
Op of this thread had a sick kid and was distracted BH the baby was fine.
IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE!!!
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ight=

Inspired

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 7:51 am
Bump.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 8:14 am
I was once walking in the street and saw a 2yr old in the car, I waited 10 min. then told a hatzola guy who called the police. turns out that the car was from out of town. 10 min later the mother(indian) came back and told me off for calling the cops and that she doesnt do this sort of thing and went on and on about us people having 14 kids. I told her off for leaving the kid in the car for at least 20 min. and that I didnt call the cops and pointed out the store of the man who did. and I said really where are my 14 kids I only have 2. I went home and was so mad at her for going off at me.

Here in europe a mother went to work and forgot to drop of her newborn at the babysitters and only when she came out from work in the afternoon did she see that she left the baby in the car. unforunatlly the baby was dead by then.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 10:34 am
Lakewood Chaveirim has these signs hanging all over town to address this very problem. The second one is resizing funny but I don't have time to fix it - you can get the idea.

(Anon because I'm the one who designs these!)

Inspired

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 3:01 pm
That is awesome amother.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

ally

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 2:08 am
Bump because Shabbatiscoming's thread reminded me

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 10:16 am
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ight=

ny21

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 5:24 pm
Babyalert.info is a online store that sell's a item that if you leave the baby in the car by accident a siren alarms

amother

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 8:14 pm
Inspired wrote:
That is awesome amother.

Hey that's funny! I just opened this thread to post this year's new poster, forgot that I posted this already!
Thanks Inspired, just saw your post now.

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Jul 01 2013, 10:40 am
Veterinarian does experiment, taping himself in the car with just the windows open

veterinarian video

amother

Post Tue, Jul 02 2013, 2:41 pm
on yeshivah world news today this tragedy was in RamatGan

Inspired

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 4:30 am
What a tragedy!!
Please. Remember your kids in the car. Do everything in your power to remind yourself. http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

SJcookie

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 5:51 am
So so so sad Sad
I read the article yesterday and nearly started crying. Poor baby z"l and parents. May we have no more of these tragedies BH.

grace413

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 6:30 am
Devastating.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jul 03 2013, 6:38 am
No words.

Do you think that attaching this type of coil keychain to our keys and then always clipping it to the car seat in the car is a good idea? http://www.amazon.com/Spring-D.....chain
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics