Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA Remember to take your children out of the car!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Inspired

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:01 pm
http://www.nj.com/news/index.s......html

Quote:
N.J. launches campaign to prevent leaving children alone in hot cars
by Susan K. Livio /Statehouse Bureau
Tuesday July 14, 2009, 1:27 PM

TRENTON -- State child welfare officials and car dealers this summer plan to to promote the "Not Even For a Minute" campaign, urging adults not to leave child alone in hot vehicles.

A child left alone in a vehicle, even for a short time, is in danger of abduction, injury, dehydration and even death. Approximately 40 children die each year in the United States, and hundreds more are injured after being left unattended in a vehicle, according to a study published by Pediatrics, the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

The temperature inside a car can rise as much as 19 degrees in just 10 minutes, the study noted. One child died in New Jersey after being left in a hot vehicle last summer.

"We are reminding parents that an unspeakable tragedy can happen in a manner of minutes," said Kimberly Ricketts, commissioner of the Department of Children and Families who launched the public affairs campaign from Miller Buick Pontiac GMC dealership in Woodbridge. "No matter how busy caregivers get, they must never leave a child in a vehicle without a parent or caregiver."

The department and the New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers plan to to spread the word, and more than 90 dealerships said they will participate by distributing posters, visor cards, and car window stickers in both English and Spanish.

For more information contact the department's communications office at 609-292-0422 or visit www.nj.gov/dcf/safety/campaigns/car.html.

This years total number of U.S. hyperthermia deaths of children left in cars is up to 19, Sad

One of the latest cases:
http://www.philly.com/philly/n.....85797

A good article to help those who still feel judgmental:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/......html

Inspired

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:16 am
The number is now up to 28.

Good for Florida for making parents aware of this danger!
http://www.justicenewsflash.co......html

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) http://www.nhtsa.gov says according to new research, the leading cause of non-crash vehicle deaths in children is hyperthermia. The Palm Beach Post states, nearly 400 children across the U.S. have died from hyperthermia since the mid 1990’s. Some people claim, the law that moved small children to the backseat, to protect them from the impact of airbags in an accident, has made it easier for some parents to forget their children in the car.

NHSTA has provided some safety tips to prevent accident hyperthermia deaths in children:

• Never leave any child unattended inside a motor vehicle.
• Never leave infants or children in a parked motor vehicle with the engine running and the air conditioning on, or the windows cracked.
• Make it a routine habit to look in your vehicle before locking the doors and walking away.
• If you normally bring your child to daycare, and your spouse happens to take the child instead, have your spouse or partner call you to verify the child arrived safely at daycare.
• If you happen to see a child left alone in a hot vehicle, call the police immediately.
o Warning signs of hyperthermia include: red, hot, and moist or dry skin, no sweating, nausea, acting strangely, and a strong rapid pulse or slow weak pulse. Attempt to cool the child immediately and contact 911 or your local emergency medical services.

Inspired

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 10:59 am
Bump as the season is here. Please do not leave your baby or child in the car!

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:06 am
this is a new article

I was shaking while I was reading it. I'd rather be a little shaken up now & have my awareness of this problem.

Inspired

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:10 am
chaylizi wrote:
this is a new article

I was shaking while I was reading it. I'd rather be a little shaken up now & have my awareness of this problem.

Chay, its not new I posted that one about 3 posts up last July. It is a great article though.

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:12 am
yeah, well, um, I just made it easier for everyone to read, right? embarrassed LOL

Inspired

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 11:16 am
Anything done to publicize this danger is a good thing IMO.
It is so bad.
here is the 3rd for this year:
http://www.dallasnews.com/shar......html

yummydd

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:22 pm
These stories really shake me up! Although I bh never leave my dd even for a minute alone in the car.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:34 pm
I just heard a story like this that happened last week, to a frum child. A guy was substituting for a school bus driver and this kid never got dropped off, he stayed in the vehicle for 6 hours, until it was time for afternoon route, when he was discovered. Chasdei Hashem it was not any kind of extreme weather and the child was ok, but shock Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

A good policy for parents to adopt is to make a rule that the car doors are never closed unless there is an adult in the car, which solves the problem of locking the keys inside with the kids before you get into the car when you're about to go somewhere. Doesn't help you not leave a kid in the car when you get out, though.

MOMMYRN

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:38 pm
I leave my pocket book in the back with my children. this way when I get out I always have to go into the back!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 12:58 pm
parenting magazine (I think it was -- either that or babytalk) had an article about it this month.

I was getting sick to my stomach and couldn't continue reading the washington post one.

I also like to put my purse in the back.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 3:08 pm
yummydd wrote:
These stories really shake me up! Although I bh never leave my dd even for a minute alone in the car.

I don't think the parents who left their kids did it on purpose (although that happens sometimes too) it was pure accident. the point was this could happen to ANYONE.

handbag in the back is a great idea.

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 3:10 pm
MOMMYRN wrote:
I leave my pocket book in the back with my children. this way when I get out I always have to go into the back!!

I do that too.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 26 2010, 3:37 pm
Raisin wrote:
yummydd wrote:

I don't think the parents who left their kids did it on purpose (although that happens sometimes too) it was pure accident. the point was this could happen to ANYONE.

handbag in the back is a great idea.

Oh, and if you read the articles, one of the parents who left a baby in the car and it died said HE said something like that before it happened - he would never leave a baby in the car!

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 8:07 am
I read the Washington post article last night before I went to bed and I couldn't sleep.
It happened to a friend of mine.
I just can't stop thinking about what the kids go through.

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 8:49 am
It happened to me, just not in the summer. I went shopping for chanukah presents & I forgot my 10 month old in the car. 10-15 minutes into my shopping trip, realization dawned & I dropped everything & ran. I had no idea what I would see when I got there. B"H dd was sleeping & fine & there were no cops waiting for me. That was my major wakeup that it could happen to anyone. I always said I would *never* be so negligent. She's 3 now & to this day I feel shame, guilt, and every other negative emotion when I think of what I might have ch"v done to my beloved child. I read the Washington Post article with tears streaming down my face. I'm not too much calmer as I write this, but I figure if I share my story, it might be valuable to someone here. I am super careful now. I check the back of my car every time I leave it, even if I know 100% the children are not in the car.

(I hope no one admonishes me for being amother. I just can't share this under my sn. I am too embarrassed.)

Inspired

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
It happened to me, just not in the summer. I went shopping for chanukah presents & I forgot my 10 month old in the car. 10-15 minutes into my shopping trip, realization dawned & I dropped everything & ran. I had no idea what I would see when I got there. B"H dd was sleeping & fine & there were no cops waiting for me. That was my major wakeup that it could happen to anyone. I always said I would *never* be so negligent. She's 3 now & to this day I feel shame, guilt, and every other negative emotion when I think of what I might have ch"v done to my beloved child. I read the Washington Post article with tears streaming down my face. I'm not too much calmer as I write this, but I figure if I share my story, it might be valuable to someone here. I am super careful now. I check the back of my car every time I leave it, even if I know 100% the children are not in the car.

(I hope no one admonishes me for being amother. I just can't share this under my sn. I am too embarrassed.)

Wow amother. I am so sorry you had that experience. BH your dd is fine. It really CAN happen to anyone.
Anyone.
Hug

If anyone admonishes you for being amother I will personally report their post.

It has BH not happened to me but admittedly I never drove that much.
I did once lock my keys in the ignition. With the car running. I was getting the kids out and distracted and bypassed the shutting off the car part. embarrassed

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:02 am
Thanks Inspired. Not even my husband knows. I hope he never finds out.

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:05 am
Gosh this is really very scary. I'm a real space cadet so I get very nervous about these things. I am always forgetting things and leaving things all over the place. I actually have left my baby in a store once embarrassed It wasn't for too long but she was sleeping, so while I was paying I left her stroller in a little corner near the register where it wouldn't be in anyone's way ( think crowded small store). After I left the store already, I was reminded by someone "where's the baby?" yeah pretty embarrasing. That's why I'm always so worried that something like this could happen again. What is a forgetful, spacy person supposed to do? any ideas?

amother

Post Thu, May 27 2010, 9:08 am
I also once left my child in the car. It was never something I would do intentionally (I know parents who do, and it makes me so angry), but while paying for gas on the way back from the airport, he was in the back, sleeping, the car was quiet, and I completely forgot that he was in the car. Never again! He was in there for about 5 minutes before I remembered. I freaked out and ran back to the car, but now always check the back before I leave, cuz I will never forget how I felt when I realised I had left him there.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics