Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Know your oats
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 8:06 am
"Oat Groats - Whole grain of the oat, with only the outer hard husks removed, then toasted.

Oat Flour - You can make it yourself by grinding rolled oats in a food processor or blender. Oat flour adds lovely flavor to breads and because of certain natural preservative in the oats themselves, it improves their shelf life. Oats contain no gluten, which is needed for bread to rise, so it must be mixed with a gluten-containing flour such as wheat. Substitute 1 of every 5 parts of wheat flour with oat flour. If your recipe is for a quick bread, no addition of other flours is necessary.

Oat sprouts - oat groats are very easy to sprout! Sprouting increases their nutritive values. Add them to sandwiches, salads, stir-fry and soups. Chop them and add them to your bread dough.

Steel Cut Oats or Scottish Oats or Irish Oats- These are groats which have been cut into two or three pieces. Cooking time is considerably longer than for rolled oats. This is the variety that I began with but have now switched from

Old Fashioned Rolled Oats - These are made by steaming the groats and flattening them with a roller. The Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats are very thinly rolled, as are the store varieties by the same title. If you look hard, however, you can often find rolled oats that are twice as thick as the Quaker variety, and these make a lovely, less creamy version of oatmeal than the Quaker ones do. Quaker sets the industry standard, so theirs is considered REGULAR Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. If they are thicker, they are called THICK Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.

Quick-cooking rolled oats -- These are made by flattening pre-cut groats. They cook in about 5 minutes.

Instant Oats - are usually packaged with salt and sugar. Don't indulge in the empty calories!"

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 8:32 am
But you left out oat bran. What's that and how does it score nutritionally?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 8:47 am
"Oat bran is the outer husk of the oat grain. The bran of grain is normally discarded during the milling process, which is unfortunate, since it contains the bulk of the dietary fiber of the grain, along with a large amount of useful minerals. When the bran is left on, the grain is marketed as “whole grain,” and in the case of oat bran, the bran is also sold separately, for people who want to up their fiber intake. There are a number of ways to use oat bran, and it is typically readily available in most markets.

There are three main parts to cereal grains: the bran, germ, and endosperm. The endosperm is the part of the grain used to make things like white flour, and it is the largest part of the grain. The germ is a small, nutrient rich area which is often extracted along with the bran, the fiber-rich outer husk of the grain. The bran is designed to protect the grain until it can sprout, providing fiber and nutrition to the growing plant until it can support itself."

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 8:54 am
So after all this oat lingo, in which form do I get the most nutritional and dietetic properties of oats?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 8:58 am
gosharuni - I copied and pasted ... you want me to do homework too ... Confused

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:01 am
Yeah, I realized you had no idea what you were posting here....
But I really want to know, so I am wondering if there is anybody out here that would help me not dig through these complicated descriptions and just lay it out in plain english for me, "which form of oats is the best nutritionally and dietetically? (word?)

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:25 am
oat groats are the fullest form of oat including the bran - this would make it the healthiest Idea most people prefer convenience

"Oat bran milling - This process takes the oat groats through several roll stands that flatten and separate the bran from the flour (endosperm). The two separate products (flour and bran) get sifted through a gyrating sifter screen to further separate them. The final products are oat bran and debranned oat flour."

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:28 am
dainty diva wrote:
Yeah, I realized you had no idea what you were posting here...

actually I do have an idea ... but after finding you the information - I clearly expected you to read it and find what YOU were lookin for ... hard to copy & paste your mind Rolling Eyes

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:30 am
Greenie, I'll confess.
I'm stupid.
I still don't get all this gobbeldy gook.
Guide me please, will ya?
And just answer my previous ??? simply, which of the oats are best
oatmeal
oat bran
rolled oats quick oats old fashioned oats
????

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:32 am
I already answered above ^^^ groats

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 9:39 am
Greenie, this isn't funny.
I once had a whole thread deleted in my honor of not going to websites linked to by posters to help me find geographical locations of cities in Israel....

I should get my IQ tested...

Thanks for bearing with me though, and answering ever so patient.

So as to my question, if I don't have access to oat groats, am I correct in interpreting that oat bran is the next ideal choice?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 10:09 am
groats are the complete grain ...

oat bran is the bran extracted - no oat to do much with ... but you can add it to baking like any other fiber ...

I would recommend adding ground flax seed to baking ... unless of course you want to stick with oats then go for the oat bran added to the oat flour ...

what are you making ?!?!?!

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 11:46 am
Just my daily routine hot breakfast cereal....

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 2:02 pm
you lost your avatar in the bologon ?!?!?! get the pretty cupcake back ...

use steel oats it just takes longer to cook ... although I've never made it myself - so ask the experts Wink

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:07 pm
I was leaning towards something representing more of a "dainty diva", finally, after jumping around from avatar to avatar, I think I've found my match.

Now back to out oaty talk, which is BTW a talk between the 2 of us watched by many, I like the oat bran, and want to stick with it. I was just curious how it upholds nutritionally, that's all. Thanks so much for "hearing me out" (perfect translation).

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:26 pm
you can't just eat plain bran ... Scratching Head

hi everybody ... glad you're all watching us ... it's a thriller Twisted Evil

I do like that cupcake better ... this one I can't tell if the silhouette is a man or a woman ... and there is enough of an identity crisis on imamother ...

"hir zich ein"

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:29 pm
There's a (bustline) there, unless it's a six pack...

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 4:32 pm
well then it's too zexy for imamother and has gotta go ... why the black hat though ... a little bi ?!?! Nervous

dainty diva

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 6:28 pm
It's a ladies wide brim hat, I guess blackened to emphasize the silhouette.

Our one-on-one conversation is still going strong....

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 01 2009, 6:35 pm
yes very strong indeedy ...

so did you get some steel cut oats yet ...

find a new more suitable avatar ...

I'm having sleepytime tea ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics