Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy, pretty, cheap and low fat!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 2:19 pm
freidasima wrote:
dh doesn't eat zucchini or cooked carrots. Do you think it would work with one layer potatoes, another sweet potatoes and a third mushroom and onion? There isn't any green but it would be white and orange and brown...

I did something similar for pesach with sweet potato, squash and parsnip.

bubby

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 2:23 pm
freidasima, that sounds really yummy!!!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 6:53 pm
pinktichel wrote:
cookielady wrote:
I will be honest. I made the kugel Thursday night. When I reheated it for Friday night, it became watery. Has anyone else had this experience?

I never reheat it... u told me that! I just let it get to room temperature again.
l.

When did I tell you that? You don't reheat anything for Friday night? Just serve at room temp? Did I ever say that or are you mixing me up with some other dessert??

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 6:56 pm
cookielady wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
cookielady wrote:
I will be honest. I made the kugel Thursday night. When I reheated it for Friday night, it became watery. Has anyone else had this experience?

I never reheat it... u told me that! I just let it get to room temperature again.
l.

When did I tell you that? You don't reheat anything for Friday night? Just serve at room temp? Did I ever say that or are you mixing me up with some other dessert??

cold kugel doens't sound that appetising to me. unless it's the creamy type. why not make it in advance but not bake it until just before shabbos?

elf123

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 7:55 pm
cookielady wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
cookielady wrote:

l.

Or maybe she's just mixing you up with someone else who's easy, pretty, cheap and lowfat!! Nervous
Sorry, couldn't resist, I've been waiting to make a joke about that since this thread started!!!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jan 18 2009, 9:01 pm
Kathy, I knew I could count on you! Wink

pinktichel

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 5:42 am
Raisin wrote:
cookielady wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
cookielady wrote:

l.

cold kugel doens't sound that appetising to me. unless it's the creamy type. why not make it in advance but not bake it until just before shabbos?

I never said cold. I said room temperature. And yes, my guests said it was fabulous.

Yes cookie, you told me that last shavuos when I made the other recipe (using broccoli, cauliflower)

Of course I reheat food for Friday night... what the heck made u guys think I don't? I honestly do not believe I'd have guests coming back week after week if I served cold chicken, potatoes, soup, etc.

bubby

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 7:55 am
I honestly do not believe I'd have guests coming back week after week if I served cold chicken, potatoes, soup, etc.

I thought that was the norm. Confused

Dance2it

Post Mon, Jan 19 2009, 10:16 am
Pinktichel- Thank you for the recipe! It was a hit. My kids do not eat all veggies, but it made a nice presentation and it was eaten. Send some more recipes our way!!

pinktichel

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 8:25 am
Made it again... came out perfect!

pinktichel

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 2:58 pm
cookie, I heated it up on the hot plate this week (Raisin made me feel guilty that I serve "cold" kugel) and it came out perfect. It was hot, firm and so tasty. Hardly have anything left and got 20 pieces out of it.

As I was making it, I realized where ppl may have gone wrong. Did you strain the zucchini really well? It is a very liquidy vegie so I strain it for a while, mash, and strain it again.

Whatever! Just thought I'd share! LOL

SomebodyElse

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 5:21 pm
cookielady wrote:
This recipe also has a great future for Pesach, with a few adjustments, of course.

Has anyone tried this with pesach modifications? (I.e. oil in place of mayo) Any opinions on whether that will work?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 7:48 pm
Broccoli kugal-
2 pounds broccoli-cooked
2 eggs
some spices
1 tb lowfat mayo

mash and bake for one hour on 350. Just made it this week and was tasty and not fatty.

SomebodyElse

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 10:37 am
Help! I'm making this now. I left the zucchini peel on, as instructed, but now that I'm mashing, I've got big pieces of peel sitting in the mush. Is that right? Is the peel supposed to somehow get mashed up too?

pinktichel

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 11:12 am
SomebodyElse wrote:
Help! I'm making this now. I left the zucchini peel on, as instructed, but now that I'm mashing, I've got big pieces of peel sitting in the mush. Is that right? Is the peel supposed to somehow get mashed up too?

don't worry about the peel. Mash it as well as you can. I always have chunks but it all blends together (kind of) when baked. Make sure to strain the zucchinni really, really well. I leave it in the strainer for a while and keep tossing it.

Fabulous

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 11:18 am
flowerpower wrote:
Broccoli kugal-
2 pounds broccoli-cooked
2 eggs
some spices
1 tb lowfat mayo

mash and bake for one hour on 350. Just made it this week and was tasty and not fatty.

Wow, that's really low fat. I make that with one lb. broccoli, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup mayo, fresh garlic, and onion soup mix. Yum!!

wubby

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 11:54 am
sounds delicious.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:12 pm
pinktichel, do you think I can make this recipe using sweet potato, carrot and zucchini cooked in chicken soup?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:28 pm
I'd like to make this tomorrow.
Don't see why I can't boil the pot and carrots together. And is the zucchini boiled and mashed with the skin on, or grated uncooked?

pinktichel

Post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 2:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
pinktichel, do you think I can make this recipe using sweet potato, carrot and zucchini cooked in chicken soup?

don't see why not, assuming you have enough of each...

fayge wrote:
Don't see why I can't boil the pot and carrots together. And is the zucchini boiled and mashed with the skin on, or grated uncooked?

I boil it with the skin on. It MUST be well strained to prevent the kugel from going soggy.
If you like spinach, you can use that as a top layer as well.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes