Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy, pretty, cheap and low fat!
1  2  3  4  Next

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:44 am
Tri Colored Vegetable Kugel: (with much thanks to my SIL)

2 lbs potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
2 lbs carrots, peeled, boiled and mashed
2 lbs zuchinni (or spinach-never tried), NOT PEELED boiled and mashed
3 large onions, sliced and lightly fried
3 eggs
3 T mayo
salt & pepper

Grease a 9/10 inch springform pan very well. Add 1 egg, 1 T mayo, s&p, and 1/3 of the fried onions to each type of vegie. Mix well. Layer potatoes on bottom of pan, then carrots, then zuchinni mixture. Bake on 350 for 1 hr or until set.

As I said in the title, this recipe is cheaper than those I've seen in the cookbooks (call for frozen brocolli, cauliflower, etc), good for those of us who live OOT and can't get Bodek frozen vegies, doesn't call for soup mixes (like the old recipe I used to use) and isn't too fattening either!

Looks gorgeous and feeds a lot!

Enjoy!

Last edited by pinktichel on Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:47 am
Thanks for posting looks interesting.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:48 am
Thanks. I'll try it. iy'h

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:26 am
I make a variation on this for my pesach seder - using different veggies - squash, parsnip, sweet potato, potatoe.

cl

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 8:46 am
thx, I will try this 4 shabbos Smile

wif

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 10:03 am
Stumbled onto this just in time! Am making my shabbas menu. You saved my guests from the noodle and pecan kugel of artery-clogging fame!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 10:09 am
One thing I noticed about this recipe is that according to your directions you put all the layers in at once and then bake for an hour. This isn't going to work out well. Most tri-layer kugels have you put the first layer in the oven until that layer is set, and then the next, and so on. I made a tri-layer kugel once and didn't bake the layers separately, and it was a mushy mess.

I have a feeling that if you put all these layers in at once, the potato layer will never cook. And it's definitely not going to cook in an hour. And it will be fairly mushy.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 10:20 am
DefyGravity wrote:
One thing I noticed about this recipe is that according to your directions you put all the layers in at once and then bake for an hour. This isn't going to work out well. Most tri-layer kugels have you put the first layer in the oven until that layer is set, and then the next, and so on. I made a tri-layer kugel once and didn't bake the layers separately, and it was a mushy mess.

I have a feeling that if you put all these layers in at once, the potato layer will never cook. And it's definitely not going to cook in an hour. And it will be fairly mushy.

Actually, it works out perfectly well. LOL the layers are very thick and not liquidy at all. I just made one and it's perfect. The last time I made it, it was perfect too. It slices beautifully. I said 1 hr or until set (mine took quite a while). That's what I like most about it... I don't have to bake each layer individually.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 10:21 am
wif wrote:
Stumbled onto this just in time! Am making my shabbas menu. You saved my guests from the noodle and pecan kugel of artery-clogging fame!

My guests are getting both! I have the pecan noodle bundt kugel waiting to go in the oven!

cl

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 7:07 pm
ive never made kugel from boiled n mashed veg, I always make it with raw grated so im interested how it will affect the texture.

anonymom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:41 pm
Sounds interesting but I would substitute oil for the mayo and use more than 3T.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jan 14 2009, 9:44 pm
Pinktichel, I happen to read this. Sounds really good. I'm going to give it a try.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:00 am
Just a warning, ladies: when I make this it takes a lot longer than an hr to cook... I let it get slightly browned on top... then again, my oven is just wacky so who knows?

sped

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:46 am
Looks great! And I even think I have the ingredients (rare for me). Just 2 questions:
ust it be a springform pan? I don't own one.
Also, does it freeze well?
Thanks

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 12:05 pm
sped wrote:
Looks great! And I even think I have the ingredients (rare for me). Just 2 questions:
ust it be a springform pan? I don't own one.
Also, does it freeze well?
Thanks

Don't freeze! Did it once and it just didn't come out right.

You do not have to use a springform pan. I use it because I like the look. My SIL uses a glass (oven to table) pyrex dish instead.

wif

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 3:12 pm
pinktichel wrote:
wif wrote:

My guests are getting both! I have the pecan noodle bundt kugel waiting to go in the oven!

Oooh...lucky guests. But instead, I'm gonna use the pecans for a chocolate pecan pie, so it all works out in the end.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:13 pm
I have frozen a kugel like this. it's watery.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:54 pm
wif wrote:
pinktichel wrote:
wif wrote:

Oooh...lucky guests. But instead, I'm gonna use the pecans for a chocolate pecan pie, so it all works out in the end.

That sounds yummy! When u have a sec, do you mind posting ur recipe?

bubby

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:07 pm
Pink, we're going out for both meals Cheers but I think I'll try this kugel, it sounds great & I'll take it along with the chopped liver!! (No, not to eat together Rolling Eyes )

cl

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:58 pm
well I just made this kugel and it came out so good, yummmmmm. thnak u so much.
I used smaller quantities than u suggested and put it in a small round metal oven pan lined with baking-parchment so I can lift it out of the pan easily and put it on a plate so u cna se the colours.
wellt hat wasnt necessary and thank G-d we dont have guests cos I ate almost half already!!!
I have hidden it in the fridge till tomorrow so I wont be tempted 2 nibble anymore.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes