Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Your cutest Mishloach Manot ideas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Martini

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 11:46 pm
WorkingMother wrote:
We once got a mishloach manos and the theme was "takanos".

It was in a plain brown bag with only two items in it.
Accompanying it was an adorable poem about takanos for mishloach manos!

freidasima wrote:

Anyone ever hear of a paper plate with some hamentaschen, an orange, a couple of slices of cake and a few almonds and raisins? We are going through a terrible recession. Am Yisroel is crashing financially. Yeshivas are going broke as their donors have lost their money and have stopped giving, Yidden have just been cheated out of tremendous amounts of money with the Madoff crisis, people are losing their jobs right and left....maybe it's time to go back to old fashioned values, keeping the minimum of the mitzva and being able to give the money, not to speak of time and effort to Matonos LaEvyonim?????!!!!

Workingmother, I love the takanos idea. Best part is that it's easy and cheap! LOL

Freidasima, Why a plastic plate? Way too expensive... you give a plate of you dishes set, the reciver put her MM back on your plate Wink (at least I think that's what my granny used to do)

freidasima

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 5:06 am
Well when you have 30 MM to give you can't give your plates because you don't have enough. Second, because you aren't always sure of everyone's kashrus and so you don't want your plate in their house, third because the plastic plates in EY are like paper plates elsewhere, you get 100 for the equivalent of a dollar...that's enough around here for at least three years mishloah manos...

But what I did do for years is save the plastic containers in which the pareve shnitzls (tivol) come in and use them, I would save them for six months, wash them out and put a large tissue opened up in it to cover and then put in the stuff. It was low, thick and plastic and didn't cost anything. But then we stopped eating that stuff....

cl

Post Sat, Feb 14 2009, 7:35 pm
lots of great ideas here. I want to order my containers n bags in the next day or 2 so im re-reading what ppl wrote so I hope u dont mind if I bump it up...

cherry

Post Sun, Feb 22 2009, 8:53 am
Here are few cute ideas for Mishloach Manot:
" everything for a wrap" : in a simple basket, a package of wraps, tuna, mayonnaise, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe.
" everything for a pizza" : pizza base, tomatoe sauce, mozarella cheese, origano, pizza flavour snack.
I once made different Mishloach manot, each one matched with a possuk of the Megillah, it came out really nice.

rivpom

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 12:33 am
cl wrote:

this year im dressing my boys as firemen so if u have any ideas for matchin MMs please ket me know Smile

You could do fire themed mishloach manos with hot tomales (same company as mike & ike's) and any other cinnamon candies. also you could put hot pepper or schug.

cl

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 7:40 am
schug is a really cute idea but I dont think enuff ppl on my list wud appreciate it!
the fire-engine boxes I ordered r quite small so hopefully I wont need 2 much stuff 2 fill them with. so far im putting in spicy-nibbles (they got flames on the packet) water bottle an if I can find the hot tamales or red-hot candies. u can get these rolled up licorice that a friend suggested might look like a fire-hose - do u think it will be obvious?

realeez

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 8:51 am
shalhevet wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I am entitled to my opinion, and I think it is WEIRD to be planning Purim in Tevet. Zehu. I said it. I think Rosh Chodesh Adar is plenty early to start - how long does it take to bake a little, cook a little, buy some MM and wrap them up?

So your real issue is the starting so early?

If people are starting so early they must be overdoing it. With the exception of sewing costumes for your children, what on earth takes so long? The only exception is if someone knows the coming weeks will be exceptionally busy (baby, close family wedding) and plans to freeze their seuda/ MMs etc and then forget about it.

Let me tell you why I start early with one aspect of my SM. The cost! A few years ago, when I waited until after R'Ch Adar, I wanted to do something nice for hakaras hatov for my sons' wonderful Morahs since I don't do anything Chanukah time. The cost ended up being so high for me! The next years I got smart and there is a huge gift store here that does massive warehouse sales in November and then I am able to stock up on really nice platters for the teachers that I will fill myself with stuff and I pay dramatically less - you can PM me for amounts and it's really nice stuff I am buying.

brownie

Post Sat, Feb 28 2009, 10:51 pm
Can anyone help me with ideas? I have insulated lunch bags that I want to use (bought them on sale a long time ago and want them out of the house!) and I'll probably be baking sugar cookies. I'm stuck as to what shape of cookie I should make as well as what else I can put in the lunch bag (aside from a drink of some sort). Help?

#1cook

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:07 pm
brownie wrote:
Can anyone help me with ideas? I have insulated lunch bags that I want to use (bought them on sale a long time ago and want them out of the house!) and I'll probably be baking sugar cookies. I'm stuck as to what shape of cookie I should make as well as what else I can put in the lunch bag (aside from a drink of some sort). Help?

a cup of soup, can of soda and then the cookies can be in a shape of little men decorated to look like haman or mordechai or you can make them in shape of crowns or flowers. the mm will look like a picnic lunch and will be easy to make. enjoy!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:28 pm
A wrapped roll, some sliced cheese, cookies, and a drink.
Perfect "lunch bag".

mommy#1

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 4:29 am
can s/o help me? well, 1st of all, I change my mind every day abt wat 2 do. my latest idea is 2 do all different types of home made cookies, hamantaschen, and maybe a cake. so wat do I put it on, & does anyone have a poem having 2 do w/ e/t home-made (and a wine bottle)? thanx!

brownie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:29 am
MOMOF4BOYS2GIRLS wrote:
brownie wrote:

a cup of soup, can of soda and then the cookies can be in a shape of little men decorated to look like haman or mordechai or you can make them in shape of crowns or flowers. the mm will look like a picnic lunch and will be easy to make. enjoy!

A cup of soup would be super easy to make and the idea to do crowns for the cookies is so obvious! I can't believe I missed that!

Thank you so much!

brownie

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 11:31 am
ra_mom wrote:
A wrapped roll, some sliced cheese, cookies, and a drink.
Perfect "lunch bag".

I like the idea of adding a wrapped roll as well (to the soup). Great idea! Thanks!

I'm hopefully going to start (and finish) them today. I can't believe Purim is already here. It only means that Pesach is around the corner.

ImaCPA

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:14 am
I know it's very late or super early to discuss this, but I am in charge of our shul's shalach manos and we make about 100 each year. You've all had some great ideas and I'd love to share some of mine (both ones I've used for the shul and for my family).

Shul:
Breakfast theme (everyone seems to do these)

A "Fire"lichen Purim theme - everything was red and/or hot and spicy, Utz Red Hot chips, Snyder's Hot Buffalo Wing Pretzel Pieces, small fire extinguisher candies (looks like a fire extinguisher, sprays some kind of candy liquid- horrible, I know, but they looked adorable), a box of Hot Tamales, cherry Laffy Taffys (for those who don't like spicy foods), Twizzlers, Kit Kats (red wrapper), hamantaschen, and I gave out a red water bottle with our slogan and shul name

A beach theme - Put it in a aqua beach bag with our shul name and the poem: "One fish, two fish, _____ Jew fish" (which everyone loved), Austin Cheddar Whale Crackers, Wye River Crabbers Crackers (hard to find, but they are OU-D crackers shaped like crabs with Old Bay Seasoning), Utz Crab Chips (which are OU-P and just flavored with Old Bay), gummy fish, gummy starfish (from Ohnuts.com), foil-wrapped chocolate fish, a small sunscreen tube, a can of tuna and hamantashen.

Family: (these I'm quite proud of)
Sushi theme - We made fake sushi out of Rice Krispies treats (as the rice), fruit roll-ups (as the seaweed) and those sour string candies (as the veggies/fish inside). We made rolls and cut them up to look like pieces of sushi. Then we took more Rice Krispies treats (while warm) and made them into mounts of "rice" and put gummy fish on top to look like sashimi. We used kosher bubble tape to look like ginger and mashed up a half of a sour apple Laffy Taffy to look like wasabi. Then we got sushi containers, chopsticks and soy sauce containers from our local kosher restaurant that makes sushi, and we used coke in the soy sauce containers. We made labels on top that wished everyone a "fish-tastic Purim" and faked a restaurant name both on the containers and the white gift bag.

McDonald's theme - We actually have a lot of BTs at our shul so everyone loved this idea. We made fake hamburgers out of a double-chocolate chip cookie (recipe from Cake Mix Doctor), buns out of those shells you find at the grocery store to use for strawberry shortcake (we cut off the top to make them a bit shorter), ketchup out of red icing, and then my husband brushed some Karo syrup on top and sprinkled sesame seeds on it. We wrapped the "burgers" in freezer paper and taped them shut with labels I made that said Mc____ (our last name). Then we made french fry holders (also with a label) out of printer paper (folding instructions on YouTube) and put in Potato Straws (like Veggie Straws but just potato) to look like fries. Then I made chocolate mousse (amazing recipe, I can post if you'd like) and put it in plastic cups also with a label, to look like a chocolate shake. Then we made a label for the white gift bag that said Mc_____ and gave a whole shpiel that looked like the real McDonald's bags (I copied clip art from the internet) that said "Want Fleishigs? Well, it looks like it but isn't..." and went on to talk about what was in the meal.

Now we somehow have to top that one next year! Smile

Our costumes don't coordinate with our shalach manos, I find that too hard to do.

blueberries

Post Wed, Feb 11 2015, 10:27 am
I'm looking for ideas. Anyone want to share?
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics