Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Terror attack coming this Wednesday?
1  2  Next

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 10:54 am
So I heard something which might be just a scare thing. Someone was in Manhattan and she paid the Arab cab driver a handsome tip, so in gratitude he told her to stay out of the city on Wednesday (9/07/08)

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:04 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
So I heard something which might be just a scare thing. Someone was in Manhattan and she paid the Arab cab driver a handsome tip, so in gratitude he told her to stay out of the city on Wednesday (9/07/08)

Surely you mean Birmingham in October. Or was that London.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/warning.asp

C'mon folks. Do you really believe that Arab cab drivers have the inside info on terror attacks? Do you think the terrorists themselves are picking up those last tips a couple of days beforehand, and offering warnings for a couple of bucks after having evaded detection from police for years? Do you really think that anyone they DID share the information with is sticking around NY until the last minute? Or that the woman wouldn't have immediately taken the guy's badge number and foiled the plot? Indeed, even without the badge number, the feds would have taken each and every cab driver into custody if there was a creditable risk of attack by a driver.

Terrorists work not only by killing but also by spreading terror. The missiles fired into Sderot don't have to kill to do their jobs. And by spreading this stuff, aren't we aiding terrorists in reaching their goals.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:11 am
There was an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" like this story, about LA.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:17 am
just asking, not implying.

canadamom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:41 am
call NYPD

dainty diva

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:44 am
just show this cab driver your baby's lovely face (re:your avatar) he"ll just melt, run away, and change al quaide's plans! I promise, she's irresistibly cute ka"h!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 11:45 am
awwwwwwww

JC

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:32 pm
While it definitely is a snopes thing....
It is also probably part psychological warfare.... I dont doubt that occasionally a cab driver says this to a young naive looking person, just to scare the bejeezus out of them.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:39 pm
on the upside, wednesday will likely be a lovely traffic free day in manhatten.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:48 pm
Raisin wrote:
on the upside, wednesday will likely be a lovely traffic free day in manhatten.

So where are you going? Tongue Out

crbc

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:50 pm
I'll be in Rockefeller Center, and dh will be in Empire State Building LOL

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 12:52 pm
JC wrote:
While it definitely is a snopes thing....
It is also probably part psychological warfare.... I dont doubt that occasionally a cab driver says this to a young naive looking person, just to scare the bejeezus out of them.

Or to get good tips.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 1:05 pm
yes, but there was an ANNOUNCEMENT in my dh's shul about this. shock One man (who wasn't present, and dh is calling tonight) claimed to have classified info to stay away from midtown Manhattan on Wednesday. I don't know what to think. My head hurts.

pecan

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 2:06 pm
My sister's friend called the terror hotline. They told her they are aware of it and are doing their best to make sure that everything will stay safe.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 2:26 pm
what is the number for the terror hotline? TIA.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 3:01 pm
pecan wrote:
My sister's friend called the terror hotline. They told her they are aware of it and are doing their best to make sure that everything will stay safe.

Yup. They said that to this *friend of a friend* (or sister). But never to anyone who can post here herself. There are no announcements in the news. No change in the terror level. (NYC is at Orange; the rest of the country is at Yellow; this is as always, AIUI.) Its just those lucky few who happen to call

I'm sorry. I live and work in NYC. I have nightmares about these things all the time. I don't need more fears than I already have.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 3:55 pm
I actually took my son to cheider and picked him up myself of Jan 1 because I was nervous there might be something planned for the New Year. I didn't want him going by bus.

I know, I know, it makes no difference because if there is a danger one way, there is a danger another way, and there is nothing one can do to protect oneself. Except Tehillim and davening.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 4:06 pm
I got that text from like ten people. I am doing this wednesday what I do every wednesday. Someone said she had a dream from a grandparent not to go on a plane on tuesday. Go figure! People didn't come to my wedding a few years ago because there was a "threat" out there. The only one I can think of was gaining weight at my wedding, lol.

frumluv

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 4:07 pm
Now I'm getting a lil nervous. May have to locate this terror hotline.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 4:43 pm
Clarissa wrote:
There was an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" like this story, about LA.

When I told my father the story I heard (that it was a Syrian girl from Brooklyn and her mother has been spreading around the "new") he was like, "Oh cmon that was a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode" LOL

EDIT: btw, did anyone get a txt msg a couple wks ago to say tehillim for an israeli boy kidnapped by arabs named YOSEF ben ROCHEL? and it turned out to be a prank - it was from the parsha! DH just told me maybe the guy who made that up also made up this terror thing LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics