Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
For those who want to share their sewing projects
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

mandksima

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:38 am
or any handicrafts. I love seeing other people's creative works and I'd like to get feedback on mine.

My new hobby is sewing. I love to create children's clothes. If I can teach myself well enough, I'd like to one day start a clothing line with unique stuff.

Please share yours!

I also made a few menorahs/chanukiot and I'll try to take pictures and post them.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:33 pm
Hey, where are all you creative folk?

I'm feeling funny now if no one posts pictures! Some of you said we should create a sewing thread (no pun intended, okay, yes I did.) Nu? Things are crazy and I need something to distract me in real life!

dainty diva

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:51 pm
I will iy"h when the laptop recharger we ordered will arrive, right now Im posting from my internet enabled cell, can't wait to be back!

wanderer

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:55 pm
Wow! It looks so professional and unique. Hats off to you!

My mom is an amazing sewer - she has even sewn wedding gowns. Unfortunately, I didn't get those genes, so I have no pics to show....

Your son is adorable :-)

mandksima

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 3:23 pm
[quote="colorful!"]Wow! It looks so professional and unique. Hats off to you!

My mom is an amazing sewer - she has even sewn wedding gowns. Unfortunately, I didn't get those genes, so I have no pics to show....

Your son is adorable :-)[/quote] Thanks - he is my model whether he likes it or not.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 3:39 pm
I am knitting a sweater for my son. When my husband comes home with the camera, I'll post a picture.

Younger Me

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:29 pm
mandksima wrote:

My new hobby is sewing. I love to create children's clothes. If I can teach myself well enough, I'd like to one day start a clothing line with unique stuff.

nice job!
if you'd like to start your own clothing line, maybe you could take a course so you can have good foundations.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:32 pm
I sew, mostly hosuehold stuff and skirts for myself. Right now, I have a lot of cutting out to do, which is my least favorite part!

Does anyone else create their own patterns? That's how I learned to sew. I recently bough a pattern from an envelope for the first time and it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to use it!

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:33 pm
Mandksima, those are absolutely beautiful! Is that piping on the first outfit?! Outstanding!

I would love to share sewing projects, but that would mean actually completing a sewing project, first. Can I post a picture of all the fabric I've accumulated, instead?

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 5:05 pm
Fox wrote:
Mandksima, those are absolutely beautiful! Is that piping on the first outfit?! Outstanding!

I would love to share sewing projects, but that would mean actually completing a sewing project, first. Can I post a picture of all the fabric I've accumulated, instead?

Ah, fabric [filth], my favorite.!

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 7:50 pm
I love sewing. I used to make skirts for myself and would love to make clothes for my kids, but I dont have a place to set up my machine where the kids cant get to it. and the last thing I need is for my 9 month old to eat a pin ch'v.
when we buy a house iyh I hope to have a place to work.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 8:06 pm
I used to sew ... I had to stop going to the fabric store and buying fabric - unless it is s/t I'm really gonna sew as in now or nowish ... my 2 favorite projects are a dorothy costume I made by looking at a dorothy barbie dress ... and a 3 tiered - dropped waist - lacy dress with a big bow for 2 of my girlies ...

de_goldy

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 8:08 pm
I have no clue how to post pictures, or I would.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 8:15 pm
you need a digital camera - a port on the computer - and a port wire attached to upload the pictures ...

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 8:18 pm
I have this great sewing book, Sew What Skirts. It's really easy to follow and teaches you how to make patterns for custom skirts in any size. I love it.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 8:50 pm
My friend hand crocheted this in about 40 minutes. She purchased the yarn online at patons and googled a free design online.

Younger Me

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 10:01 pm
I love this hat!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:01 pm
Here is a skirt I made for my 7-year old:

I made a matching one for my 3 year old. I have fabric to make one for my 18 month old also, just have to find time. Very Happy

nicole81

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:05 pm
I love looking at these pictures. I'm grossly untalented, but I can live vicariously through you all, right?

Fox

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:13 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Fox wrote:
Can I post a picture of all the fabric I've accumulated, instead?

Ah, fabric [filth], my favorite.!

One of my friends is the daughter of Holocaust survivors who spent several years in the DP camps before coming to the U.S. Of course, their experiences are not something they "chit-chat" about with acquaintances.

However, my friend's mother also sews, and we were discussing our fabric caches once when her husband wandered into the room. He heard the topic of the conversation, and came over to interject in his thick Polish Yiddish accent , "Can you believe it? Two years in the DP camps after the War, where people had nothing, nothing! And yet she left with two boxes of fabric! Who had fabric in the camps -- let alone two whole boxes. And you want to know something? She still has those boxes of fabric. 'Aren't you going to sew that into something?' I ask her. But no! She comes to America and buys more fabric! I don't understand -- is she taking it to Shemayim with her? What? They don't have enough fabric in shemayim?" And then he wandered off to another room.

The story always makes me smile, thinking that during some of darkest periods in Jewish history, women were still collecting fabric to make something "someday".
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics