Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
First name that means the same or is the same as last name
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 5:05 am
Ovadia Obadia
Ovadia Servadio

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 5:21 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
And we would never name our son Levy (it's our last name).

Same here! And I happen to love that name for a boy.

my son is Levy Halevy. but our surname is not levy.

I know of an efraim Efraim, and I've heard of someone called Yitzchak Shaul Isaac Saul.

And Mendal Mandel.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 5:33 am
I heard there is a boy called Israeli Cohen and a Levi (or some other mix).

I do know a Isaac-Saul family. I wonder, are they named for a grandfather or something? It happens in FRance that a family will take as surname the given name and name of a famous grandfather, to honour him.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:18 am
My uncle was Yoel Yoel.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:29 am
Yaakov Jacobs

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 9:43 am
I knew a Goldie Silver (not the same meaning), but still cute.

I also know a Rissel Russel (that's why I'm anonymous, b/c my friends would figure me out).
The grandmother Rissel, that she was named after, was married to a Zissel, so they were Rissel and Zissel (which I think is adorable)!!

Also: Dovid David, Natan Nathan, and Zlata Zlatapolsky

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:05 am
realeez wrote:
I was recently discussing this with a friend who was telling me about her neighbour who has something like this and I realized I know a some people like this. We were wondering if the kids get teased by their classmates or if it's really no big deal. I am not using the examples we know of but I am talking about names like Zahava Goldberg or even Goldie Goldstein, Avi Abraham, Yitzchak Isaacs, etc. Would you avoid using them?

Those kinds of names aren't as unusual as one might think. I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them but I wouldn't deliberately create them, either. It would depend on how euphonious or not the combination is. Zahava Goldberg flows; Goldie Goldberg staggers. There are a whole bunch of Drs. David David, which would be cute for a pediatrician b/c when the kids says "Hi, Dr. David" it's not being overly familiar...

If the given and family names are in different languages, then I see no issue at all. Most ppl react to the sound of a name rather than its meaning. What I find inexplicable is the redundant firstname-middlename combos, like Yitzchok Isaac, Shlomo Zalman, Zvi Hirsch--as if you need a translation b/c you don't know what the Hebrew name means.

Kids will tease classmates about anything you can think of and many you can't, but again it's most often the SOUND of the name they react to. I went to school with a girl surnamed Faintuch, pronounced Finetush. She married young.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:11 am
I know a Russy Russell

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:18 am
all the Zlata Zlatkin, Doba Dobson, etc...

Quote:
What I find inexplicable is the redundant firstname-middlename combos, like Yitzchok Isaac, Shlomo Zalman, Zvi Hirsch--as if you need a translation b/c you don't know what the Hebrew name means.

You know. The non jews don't. In some places and times, the women may in majority not know too. These names used to be secular ones! maybe in 500 years we will see Moshe Moses or Moshe Maurice...

realeez

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:06 am
Well, my dd doesn't think it's a problem - she just named her doll a name that means the same as our last name. Problem is the doll is a girl with a boy's name lol!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
I know a Russy Russell

I know her too!

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:22 am
Ruchel wrote:

You know. The non jews don't. In some places and times, the women may in majority not know too. These names used to be secular ones! maybe in 500 years we will see Moshe Moses or Moshe Maurice...

most people who nowadays name their kid Shlomo Zalman aren't concerned about whether or not the nonjewish world is familiar with the name. those who are so concerned, give them separate secular names on the civil birth records. they don't name them at the bris "Yeshaya Isaiah".

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:41 am
zaq wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

most people who nowadays name their kid Shlomo Zalman aren't concerned about whether or not the nonjewish world is familiar with the name. those who are so concerned, give them separate secular names on the civil birth records. they don't name them at the bris "Yeshaya Isaiah".

Exactly, it's an old practice. But the names have stuck. It seems though that some did it, since Yitzhak ISAAC was mentioned!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 11:55 am
my sister has the names Mazal and Bracha in her husbands family and when my niece Bracha was born someone asker her if the name will be Mazal Bracha. She told her we decided to add Tova so her name will be Mazal Tova Bracha.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:06 pm
I know a Goldie Goldstien. I also know of a Chaim Chaim!

How about last names which can be first names? Like Pearl Zelik, or Zelig Perl...

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:07 pm
I would love to name one of my children after my great-grandmther, but dh vetoed it. She had a fairly common name, but paired with our last name and our genes it would be torture for any young girl. Wink

I tried to convince him that some day she'd get married and lose the last name, but he seemed to think she'd be scarred for life.

It would be much worse than any soloman soloman or shmuel shmuel, by far.

Think along the line of a "Raizel Rose" with red hair and you'd almost be there.

But I still wish I could name after my g-grandma I loved her so much.

poemmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 12:29 pm
I agree with some other posters:
Don't like the exact repeat names (David David, or even David Davidson).
But names that mean the same but are different languages are actually pretty cool! I like Raizel Rose.

realeez

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
I would love to name one of my children after my great-grandmther, but dh vetoed it. She had a fairly common name, but paired with our last name and our genes it would be torture for any young girl. Wink

I tried to convince him that some day she'd get married and lose the last name, but he seemed to think she'd be scarred for life.

It would be much worse than any soloman soloman or shmuel shmuel, by far.

Think along the line of a "Raizel Rose" with red hair and you'd almost be there.

But I still wish I could name after my g-grandma I loved her so much.

Can you give it as a middle name?

hadasa

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 4:15 pm
I know a Rivky Rivkin, Dvory Dvorkin, Boruch Boruchov, Schneur Schneerson.

My last name is actually a non-Jewish first name. People constantly think my husband's or sons' first names are their last name.

justmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 4:30 pm
I know Hillel Hill- I also know a Ruby Rubin-- named after his grandfather Ruby Rubin. My grandmother had a friend name Goldie Diamond-- I loved that name!!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names