Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
December 2008 Babies
1  2  3  Next

Petra

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 9:12 am
Just a little thread about how our babies are doing...

So far, little Chana, who, IY'H, will be 3 weeks tomorrow, has had a small cold and conjunctivitis. Still has both of them actually. As of 3 days ago, she has also started having a evening pattern of fits consistent with colic in my opinion. Luckily it isn't non-stop crying yet, she is just very fussy and only sometimes inconsolable. We tried simethicone drops which helped marginally.

I don't know about everyone else but in our household all our kids are constantly sick. DS just got done with antibiotics for pneumonia. DD just got done with antibiotics for ear infection. Then she started with a fever on Friday night and complains non-stop of her throat hurting. She is four. I fear strep throat so she is going to Peds Urgent Care today...

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 9:14 am
My dd was also colicky around then (3 weeks). It settled down around 6-7 weeks. there is an end.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 11:57 am
Oy--Refuah Shelaimah to the whole family!
Yosef is 12 days old today. So far my sister's been staying with us (college winter break is GREAT!) and really been helping out with the big brother....
Today, though I was alone with both of them when Yosef was up for 2 hours and only wanted to be held--he wouldn't let me put him down even for a minute. I have a front carrier that I used all the time with my older son but am looking at slings that I can wear him in and even nurse in....Any suggestions? (I did post this in the product review section)
He holds his head up beautifully--we hardly support it anymore. Today I put him on his stomach briefly and he flipped over to his back....I'm not so totally shocked though--big brother was the same!

sllyjllybn

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 1:00 pm
moshe'le (his bris was on time bh yesterday-shabbos chanukah and we named him after dh's father AH) is super fussy since the bris. he has to be held all the time. I got about 2 hrs of sleep last night. he finally slept when I gave him Tylenol. bh he is so alert and is always looking at faces! the mohel couldnt believe how alert he was during the bris.

refuah shelayma to chana!

yosef rolled over already! wow thats so quick. they get big so fast! moshe'le is only 9 days but has changed so much!!

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 1:27 pm
sllyjllybn, Are you going to be making a pidyon haben?

Petra

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 2:51 pm
my dd Leah also needs a refuah shelemah...she has strep for sure! come to think of it, my throat is a little sore too. Hope it is all in my head.

Mazal tov on the bris's.

We have a Yosef too! Manhattanmom are you going to call him Yossi or stick to Yosef?

I hope we are just getting all the winter sickness out of the way in our household. Making weekly trips to the pediatrician has not been fun.

With my three other children, I could never figure out how to make a sling to work. They always seemed so cramped and uncomfortable for the baby. I'm pretty sure I didn't have it fit right. Other mothers I know have managed to use theirs constantly and love them.

My 4 yr old Leah was a "high needs" baby. Always needing to be held, seemed to have hardly ever slept except for 20 minutes at a time. My DH and I took 4 hr shifts at night so at least we'd both be assured 4 hrs of uninterrupted sleep. Of course I may have gotten a little more than 4 hours because my sleep time was interrupted at least once by a feeding session. BH, we are long past those days with her. We'll see how Chana is...

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 3:18 pm
B"H my little one had his Bris today. He is called Yehuda after my father. I've just managed to put him down about an hour ago and he is fast asleep B"H. He is 17 days old. He is super colicy in the evenings and the rest of the time he is really bad at bringing his wind up. He smiles every so often at us. Very cute. The other three boys love him to bits they are always giving him kisses and hugs sometimes it's over done though!!!!! He's putting weight on nicely which feels a massive achievement seeming I'am feeding him myself. He was born 8lbs 10 oz as of last Wednesday he weighed 9lbs 11 and a half ozs. The Mohel keeps joking that you need a crane to lift him LOL!!!!!

As for sleeping at night aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh on Friday night he did him biggest stretch four and a quarter hours which sounds amazing right? Well, how about it took untill 1:30 to settle him then messing about for over two hours feeding, winding, changing nappy, him throwing himself around the room due to the wind, trying to put him down, etc.. my dh took him downstairs at 7:30 so I could get some sleep. Yeah the nights are great in this house NOT!!!!!! Any tips on how to survive them?

Refurah Shelama to Chana and Leah, LOL my little one had a sticky eye this morning I kept washing it so that the Mohel could not see it and decide not to do the Bris!!!!!

Mazal Tov on the other Bris!!!!

Has everyone now had their babies in the December club? What's the boy girl ratio?

Petra

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 10:53 am
LOL Jewishmamabest...he needs a crane! He certainly is a healthy weight! What do you mean by not bringing up his wind...burping?

Mazal tov on the bris.

Chana had a good night last night with the colic. Was only crying a little bit. As soon as she starts crying with scrunching up her legs and stretching out, I feel she is in some kind of pain and I give her the anti-gas drops and she settles down in about 10 minutes. She slept for 4 hours last night on top of DD when I went to bed and I woke up with a start noticing it was 4 hrs since I had heard anything from her. But, I was regularly wakened thereafter every 2 hrs, all was normal.

ohbaby!

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 6:06 pm
My Mussya is 18 days old.. doing fine BH. She started getting a bit colicky, I think because I was taking antibiotics, got Masthitis... But BH for being the 3 child she did not bring much harder work, she is behaving pretty well Smile

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 6:24 pm
hoorray - another bris today - Aron Gavriel had his bris and has been sleeping most of the day since - which caused me much engorgement and pain (Hodu L'Hashem for pumps!). He is 12 days old and has been gaining weight well - he is now at 8 lbs (born at 7lb10oz) -

he spits up quite a bit - nothing voilent or projectile (like his bro did) but nonetheless, we think he has very mild reflux - he usually scruntched up then spits up a fair bit of what ever he just ate - not fun, lots of clothing changes and laundry!

AG also has day and night reveresed which is making for a very tired mommy, at least I am catching up on some long overdue correspondance!

ds and dd are in love with him and only want to hold him and give him the paci - they even offered to help change the post bris diaper!

REfuah Shlema to all who need, B"H the winter bug seems to have made it's pass about 2 weeks before AG was born - now it's just dh who is still struggling with his asthma.

Unfortunately, unlike my beautiful little boy, I have not been fairing so well. I have fallen into a flare up of both my fibromyalgia and IBS and my incision began draining which made everything more complicated. I am off to a walk-in clinic tomorrow to make sure it's not infected - oh well, at least the babe is healthy!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:37 pm
MontrealMommy--
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one self-diagnosing my son with reflux. Maybe it's just because I'm more "tuned in" to it now--after his big brother was first diagnosed I did WAY too much research. My son actually had what was called Sandifer's Syndrome which is more like a "silent" reflux--he has lots of symptoms just no vomiting. The baby shrieks and can't be calmed down when we put him on his back--even for a really brief diaper change. He screams and kicks his legs--his whole face turns red and purple and he can't catch his breath. So he's been sleeping either in his car seat or on his side in a side-positioning pillow. When we pick him up he arches his back constantly and shrieks until he brings up a burp--he seems to be in so much pain before a burp.

My older son was similar to this and it turned out that he was allergic to dairy--I had to eliminate dairy completely (even the teeniest amount--like frozen waffles that had whey listed as the last ingredient) in order for him to not be affected.
We do have a checkup tomorrow--so I'm definitely going to bring it up.
Meanwhile, I'm already keeping a food diary for myself.......

supermommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 7:52 pm
I have a boy too. He's a little over three weeks now.
ManhattanMom how does a food diary work? How long does it take for an "offending" food to enter my milk supply? DS gets really cranky at times and I know he has a hard time making. Maybe it's something I'm eating?
Anyone else with a baby who can't make #2? What did you do?

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 29 2008, 8:04 pm
What you eat can take anywhere from 2-24 hours to enter your milk supply.

I've never had experience with constipation--maybe try to eat something with prunes??

supermommy

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:01 pm
been there, done that. The only one that ended up "going" was me.
With my older ds who had the same kinda trouble (but worse) I had to give him water with corn syrup to make him go. But ds #2 can go he just has a hard time and only goes every couple of days.
HMMMM.... I think I'll start a new thread about this.

square_peg

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:27 pm
supermommy, ask the pediatrician to check if his rectum is too tight. my ds's (18 days old) was and the ped. dialated it.. he still doesnt go often enough and has awful cramps because of it.. Doc appointment tomorrow. she did say it sometimes takes more t han once for it to be ok.

Last edited by square_peg on Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 30 2008, 10:29 pm
boysmommy wrote:
supermommy, ask the pediatrician to check if his rectal is too tight. my ds's (18 days old) was and the ped. dialated it.. he still doesnt go often enough and has awful cramps because of it.. Doc appointment tomorrow. she did say it sometimes takes more t han once for it to be ok.

my dd also needed tthis

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 7:15 pm
LeahsEma wrote:
LOL Jewishmamabest...he needs a crane! He certainly is a healthy weight! What do you mean by not bringing up his wind...burping?

Yes that's what I mean burping. Yehuda was weighed today he weighed in at 10lbs 1 oz.

shabri

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 2:13 am
jewishmamathebest wrote:

Yes that's what I mean burping. Yehuda was weighed today he weighed in at 10lbs 1 oz.

Woah DD at 5 weeks (today) weighs 6 lbs 14 oz. Of course she was only 5.5 lbs at birth.

Can I join the club even if she was born in Nov? I was in the Dec due date club, she just wanted out early.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 11:58 am
Shabri of course you can join!!!! Wink

sllyjllybn

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 12:28 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
sllyjllybn, Are you going to be making a pidyon haben?

yup! bh
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics