Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Woman giving birth to her 18th Child
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

HappyFamily

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 9:59 am
AP/© AP

Jim-Bob and Michelle Duggar (l.) - surrounded by their ever-expanding brood - just welcomed their 18th child, a girl, bringing the grand total to 10 sons and eight daughters.

ROGERS, Ark. — An Arkansas woman has given birth to her 18th child.

Michelle Duggar delivered the baby girl by Caesarean section Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers. The baby, named
Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar, weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and was 20 inches long.

"The ultimate x-mas gift from God," said Jim Bob Duggar, the father of the 18 children. "She's just absolutely beautiful, like her mom and her sisters."

The Duggars now have 10 sons and eight daughters.

Jim Bob Duggar said Michelle started having contractions Wednesday night. She needed the C-section, her third, because the baby was lying sideways. Jim Bob said both baby and mother were doing well Thursday night.

"We both would love to have more," he said.

The cable network TLC broadcasts a weekly show about the Duggars, called "17 Kids and Counting." Chris Finnegan of TLC — which handles public relations for the Duggar family — said the show's name would be updated to account for the latest addition to the family. He said TLC also will air a show Monday on the baby's delivery.

Jim Bob Duggar is 43, a year older than his wife. Their oldest child, Joshua, is 20.

The other Duggar children, in between Joshua and Jordyn-Grace, are Jana, 18; John-David, 18; Jill, 17; Jessa, 16; Jinger, 14; Joseph, 13; Josiah, 12; Joy-Anna, 11; Jeremiah, 9; Jedidiah, 9; Jason, 8; James, 7; Justin, 6; Jackson, 4; Johannah, 3; and Jennifer, 1.

"Our whole family is excited about Jordyn's addition to our family," Jim Bob Duggar said. "She's just perfect in every way."

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 3:45 pm
The only reason people are so excited about this is the fact that they have tv show detailing their lives. Do they ever celebrate high births in our community? I know of 2 families that have over 20 children (not adopted). I know several other families who have between 16-19 children.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:10 pm
And if some of the child had special needs? Would he go on about "perfection" then ?

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:11 pm
I guess they will have to stop when they run out of j names. Rolling Eyes

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:12 pm
I think it's very hard in this world (from societal, financial pressures etc.) to welcome any children into the world.

If anything, maybe they are showing other non Jews how to value family and children.

IYH They and their children will be righteous gentiles.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:19 pm
I think kids aren't so expensive if you don't give in to trends or "every kid needs his game boy/comp/etc". I've been told the real difference is between 0 and 1, then 1 and 2 but not so much between like 5 and 6.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:24 pm
They live in a mansion with huge bedrooms, indoor playground, and commercial appliances and cafeteria style eating area. I have a quarter of that (in children and appliances) do I not get a TV show?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:31 pm
It's not news when women take care of their families, do laundry, go grocery shopping, and make dinner; but that's what important, isn't it ?

PIP

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:32 pm
Wow Shaklee you must me rich, I only have 1\8 of their property\appliances!
Not to mention, we're the lucky ones who get to spend thousands of dollars on tuition\holidays\bar mitzvahs etc.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:35 pm
They're fruitcakes. As I said in an earlier thread about the Duggars (when they had kid #17), sometimes when I wake up screaming, I assume I was having a dream about being surrounded by Duggars.

I've always gotten the creeps from the Duggars, but the latest thing I heard really creeps me out. They do this thing to keep their kids in line called "blanket training."

Quote:
"Blanket training" has been one of the most helpful tools for me! I only wish that I had heard about it before my 7th child came along!! The sweet lady who explained blanket training to me called it her "playpen in a purse"! This concept involves placing your baby or toddler on his/her favorite blanket, explaining to the best of their understanding that they must stay on their blanket, and then demonstrating the consequences of getting off the blanket with a small rod or switch. Simply switch the floor or carpet all around the outside edges of the blanket and firmly but sweetly say, "No, No! Don't touch!" Give your child few favorite toys to keep his attention, and switch the toys out every little bit, and that child will learn to stay on his blanket for quite a long period of time. Begin with just 3 - 5 minutes with very young children, and after practicing every day for several weeks, he will build up his time to play happily on that blanket until he can stay there for an hour or more! What a joy and a help this was to me when I had the older 6 children in school and needed to spend time with them! The joy of this training is that you can fold that blanket up, put it in the diaper bag, and take it easily to a friend's house, or visiting new church members, and your child will sit quietly without disrupting the visit! This blanket training is easily converted to "church training" when you begin taking your young child into the services. Simply fold the blanket and put it on the pew and your child will already understand the limitations and rules!

Yes, let's keep making babies and, to keep them in line, hit them every time they try to explore their surroundings or get antsy to move around.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:59 pm
Clarissa wrote:
They're fruitcakes. As I said in an earlier thread about the Duggars (when they had kid #17), sometimes when I wake up screaming, I assume I was having a dream about being surrounded by Duggars.

I've always gotten the creeps from the Duggars, but the latest thing I heard really creeps me out. They do this thing to keep their kids in line called "blanket training."

Quote:
"Blanket training" has been one of the most helpful tools for me! I only wish that I had heard about it before my 7th child came along!! The sweet lady who explained blanket training to me called it her "playpen in a purse"! This concept involves placing your baby or toddler on his/her favorite blanket, explaining to the best of their understanding that they must stay on their blanket, and then demonstrating the consequences of getting off the blanket with a small rod or switch. Simply switch the floor or carpet all around the outside edges of the blanket and firmly but sweetly say, "No, No! Don't touch!" Give your child few favorite toys to keep his attention, and switch the toys out every little bit, and that child will learn to stay on his blanket for quite a long period of time. Begin with just 3 - 5 minutes with very young children, and after practicing every day for several weeks, he will build up his time to play happily on that blanket until he can stay there for an hour or more! What a joy and a help this was to me when I had the older 6 children in school and needed to spend time with them! The joy of this training is that you can fold that blanket up, put it in the diaper bag, and take it easily to a friend's house, or visiting new church members, and your child will sit quietly without disrupting the visit! This blanket training is easily converted to "church training" when you begin taking your young child into the services. Simply fold the blanket and put it on the pew and your child will already understand the limitations and rules!

Yes, let's keep making babies and, to keep them in line, hit them every time they try to explore their surroundings or get antsy to move around.

hmmmm..........should I try that? maybe I'd be able to get into shul at last. when do her children learn to walk if they are confined to an area the size of a blanket?

why, as a religious Jewish woman, do I find religious xtians disturbing and creepy?

cookielady

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 5:00 pm
Raisin wrote:

why, as a religious Jewish woman, do I find religious xtians disturbing and creepy?

Because there are. (I mean the Dugger type women.)

Last edited by cookielady on Sat, Dec 20 2008, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

soldat

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 5:02 pm
not impressed. what's the big deal with a house that size?

raisin, depends on which brand of x-tianity.
we've got lots of christians around here, and many of them are quite religious, and there is B"h no creepiness. in fact, I sometimes sense more respect from them, then from the Jews around here!

but yea, this family does seem creepy

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 5:10 pm
soldat wrote:
not impressed. what's the big deal with a house that size?

raisin, depends on which brand of x-tianity.
we've got lots of christians around here, and many of them are quite religious, and there is B"h no creepiness. in fact, I sometimes sense more respect from them, then from the Jews around here!

but yea, this family does seem creepy

yes, there are plenty of xtians in my part of the world, and they are not creepy at all. but that is more a cultural thing...the country where I live is strongly xtian.

off topic, but I was talking to a woman the other day. She said she is protestant and her hubby is catholic, so her son is therefore catholic and her daughter protestant. weird or what?

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 5:16 pm
They are evangelical xtians.

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 5:48 pm
Interesting about the blanket training - she alludes to "showing the limits" with a switch, but I'm guessing they must actually use it on BABIES if they know to be afraid of it.

GAMZu

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 6:29 pm
What's a switch??

The blanket training thing is awful. Sad

chaylizi

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 6:49 pm
Raisin wrote:
I guess they will have to stop when they run out of j names. Rolling Eyes

no. then they can make up names. you did notice that they have both a johnanna & a joy-anna? and I'm retty sure jinger is ginger spelled with a j, so it fits. hardly original. hey I know! they could name their next boy j-sus. that starts with a j.

supermama2

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 6:53 pm
Hmm..Having learned to set bounderies for babies..I can say that there are better ways..

chavamom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 9:46 pm
GAMZu wrote:
What's a switch??

A small stick.
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics