Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Something nice to put in guest room
Previous  1  2

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 9:54 am
ChossidMom wrote:
We always try to put in a plate with rugelach or cake and assorted nuts so that they can nosh in the room without being self conscious. + a bottle of mineral water and plastic cups.
You let people eat in the bedroom? Don't you get ants?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 9:56 am
Blair wrote:
Try those new room air fresheners that have the wooden sticks in the bottle they make the room smell so nice. Make sure to leave tissues by the bed.

I would hold off on any and all types of smelly things. People with allergies and even those without can have a reaction, which would necessitate a big, fluffy box of coordinated tissues along with all the rest :-).

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:09 am
Tamiri wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
We always try to put in a plate with rugelach or cake and assorted nuts so that they can nosh in the room without being self conscious. + a bottle of mineral water and plastic cups.
You let people eat in the bedroom? Don't you get ants?

I do also embarrassed embarrassed
except before pesach.
We vacuum. Seems to do fine in terms of the insect prevention.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:37 pm
An extra pillow

levial

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 1:32 pm
ss321 wrote:
elf123 wrote:

Not trying to start up here, I've been in many hotels, maybe not the Plaza or the Waldorf, but which hotels are giving away slippers?

waldorf definitely does. never been to the plaza. w hotels do (although I think the robes cost). wyndham, hilton, sheraton chains all do. israeli hotels like the Dan hotels do, inbal, king david for sure, smaller boutique hotels like resort-y locations like vail aspen salt lake city, etc. miami ones like eden roc fountainbleu(is it open? IDK) do. Maybe not holiday inn but alot of hotels do.

Yes! Thanks for coming to my defense. I travel for work, that's my favorite useless pastime - taking home the goodies...many times the European/ Israeli hotels have them, as well as boutique hotels in large cities. I've also had to order some for the mikveh - some mikvehs give you them if you are paying a non-member rate...I keep those and wash them too. I'm always the fool who packed meticulously for everyone but me (no hat, robe, SOCKs, etc) so I have to be fully dressed and not comfy. . . so I try to think of all the things I forget and make them available in a basket in the bathroom or the guest room.

I even had a pair of $1 at target flip flops at one point, but someone said you can't really show your toes - (I don't care if someone pads into the kitchen in them, but am sensitive to others) and that's why they didn't avail themselves (I bring those to the gym not to touch the shower tiles..)

Dance2it

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 1:41 pm
We just went away for shabbos and the hostess was so thoughful- she had a water bottle, can of soda, homemade cookies, and raisins. She put up sheital head- the fancy ones. The one thing she missed was a clock and in the basement it is dark all the time. They had to wake DH up for shacharis!!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 1:58 pm
I like to leave a large ice bucket with bottled water and sparkling water so they have cold drinks if they want at night and don't have to go stumbling through the house. Also a small bowl of fresh fruit.
The guest bathroom is stocked with mini soaps, shampoos, lotions, disposable tooth brushes, mouth wash, etc. collected from hotels.
I also make sure they have plenty of towels and extra blankets.
I leave some books and magazines if they want something to read.
And I usually put fresh flowers.

Also, this is not IN the guest room, but I make sure to put out for the morning everything that a person needs for coffee or tea in the morning along with some cake or danish in case they are early risers and up before I am.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 3:54 pm
I host guests regularly and travel often staying others' homes. I have a list of a few things that every guest room (or room used for guests) should have:
clock
an accessible electrical outlet
a place on which to put something (even a chair is fine)
tissues
a full length mirror (ideally in the bedroom but at least in the bathroom)
extra pillow
extra blanket
towels

Additionally a host should do their best (not always in their control) to make sure the room is sufficiently dark at night and is sufficiently warm (or cool depending on the season). It should be comfortable enought that they would be okay sleeping there.

In my opinion those are thecritical options. Other niceties are a sheitel head, assorted toiletries, etc.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 19 2008, 4:16 pm
have a night light available in case they're afraid of the dark ... BOO !!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics