Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where can I find sushi rice???

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:56 am
in chicago?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:11 pm
isn't it just slightly overcooked plain white rice?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:14 pm
No, it's a shortgrain rice.

You can usually find it in regular grocery stores. If not there, any health food store will have it.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:16 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
isn't it just slightly overcooked plain white rice?

Not if it's made right...what you're looking for ClaRivka is short grain rice. You can buy either white or brown. I can usually just pick it up in any major chain grocery store.

You can use plain white or brown rice too, if you like. What gives sushi rice it's particular flavor is the fact that it's tossed with rice vinegar after cooking.

Ronit

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:19 pm
Usually any decent supermarket. It's different than regular rice- I saw that one I used the reall stuff that actually says sushi rice...

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:42 pm
Try either well-stocked supermarkets or oriental grocery shops.
The rice for sushi is short-grain (which makes it sticky) as others posted already,
and there are several brands like Kokuho Rose or Cal Rose. Basmati Rice
or Jasmine Rice are totally different--your sushi will fall apart. I never had success
with the brown short grain rice, though mixing with white rice may help.
If you absolutely cannot find it, maybe pudding rice or rissoto rice may work
as their grains also look short.

I found the trick for making good sushi rice is, first you wash rice to rinse off
rice starch used for polishing (basically you swish rice in water with your hand,
change water over collandar once or twice till the water gets clear, not white).
Then you let it soak for about 20-30min or so. Make sure you cook it in a pot
with a tight fitting lid (thicker the pot's bottom the better). Follow instruction
for rice/water ratio and cooking. Let it steam a bit longer after you turn off the
flame.

Once cooked, they freeze well and can be microwaved.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:53 pm
is short grain rice the same thing as sticky rice?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 3:43 pm
yup. the same thing.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:09 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Try either well-stocked supermarkets or oriental grocery shops.
The rice for sushi is short-grain (which makes it sticky) as others posted already,
and there are several brands like Kokuho Rose or Cal Rose. Basmati Rice
or Jasmine Rice are totally different--your sushi will fall apart. I never had success
with the brown short grain rice, though mixing with white rice may help.
If you absolutely cannot find it, maybe pudding rice or rissoto rice may work
as their grains also look short.

I found the trick for making good sushi rice is, first you wash rice to rinse off
rice starch used for polishing (basically you swish rice in water with your hand,
change water over collandar once or twice till the water gets clear, not white).
Then you let it soak for about 20-30min or so. Make sure you cook it in a pot
with a tight fitting lid (thicker the pot's bottom the better). Follow instruction
for rice/water ratio and cooking. Let it steam a bit longer after you turn off the
flame.

Once cooked, they freeze well and can be microwaved.

This is how I used to make rice. Now I have a rice cooker, so I just rinse and them dump it in there, add water and hit the button.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:34 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
yup. the same thing.

k thanks, one of these days I will try to make sushi

Fabulous

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:47 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
yup. the same thing.

I've been saying that since I got married. It never happened yet. If you make it, let us know how it comes out. It was funny (shows how well my dh knows me already), we were in wal-mart and I saw the rice vinegar for cheap. I asked him if I should buy it, because he knows that I've been wanting to make it for a long time already. He said, no because I know myself, I'll buy it and it will sit in the closet till Pesach. Too true! Huhhhh! sigh

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:39 pm
Fabulous wrote:
ClaRivka wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
yup. the same thing.

I've been saying that since I got married. It never happened yet. If you make it, let us know how it comes out. It was funny (shows how well my dh knows me already), we were in wal-mart and I saw the rice vinegar for cheap. I asked him if I should buy it, because he knows that I've been wanting to make it for a long time already. He said, no because I know myself, I'll buy it and it will sit in the closet till Pesach. Too true! Huhhhh! sigh

eerytime we go to the grocery I buy a thing of sushi near the deli and it costs 7 dollars for 12 pieces. My husband thinks its crazy expensive but I love it

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:20 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
Mrs Bissli wrote:
yup. the same thing.

Sushi is super-easy to do. DH and I have it for Shabbat lunch a lot. It's a pretty cheap meal, especially if you only make vegetarian kinds. I enlist DH ot help, and it probably takes us less that 15 minutes to roll enough for us for lunch.

ihyphenated

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 11:39 pm
I love my rice cooker- and sometimes just a bowl of brown rice w vinegar, nori, and avocado is a very satisfying meal...

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 12:34 am
ihyphenated wrote:
I love my rice cooker- and sometimes just a bowl of brown rice w vinegar, nori, and avocado is a very satisfying meal...

I have that a lot, particularly when DH and I can't be bothered to actually makes rolls.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:55 pm
so I went to kol tuv and they only had white sushi rice, no brown....and they didnt have seaweed either!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 8:57 am
I'm all thumbs, so we opt for hand-rolls, the cone-shaped ones. I also like the seaweed crispy.

As for veggie filling, avocado, roasted red peppers, sauteed mushrooms (esp portabello), finely shredded omlette or cucumber would work beautifully. We also use smoked salmon, tuna mayo salad (with or without sweetcorn). I personally liked gefilte fish sushi (with chreine) but chopped herring sushi was a total flop.

You can use rice vinegar just like regular vinegar for making salad dressing or for pickling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics