Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How many karats
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sllyjllybn

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:14 am
.98 G VS1
color was the most important to me. I went for something nice because who knows when I would get the chance to get something like this again!

yersp

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:03 am
In my humble opinion (having some experience with diamonds) personally, I feel that the bigger the stone, the uglier (meaning sparkly wise, color & clarity) it is. You might absolutely be lucky and get a huge stone (2 kts or more) and it should sparkle beautifully. However, for a diamond ring to really be called a beauty, it needs to sparkle and be clear. So, if you have a small diamond, perhaps less than a karat or a bit more, don't feel so self conscience if the person next to you has a bigger stone. You can rest assured that your stone probably costs equal or maybe a drop less than the bigger "nicer" one, but yours for sure sparkles more. When it comes to diamonds, the color and clarity matter more than size. Also if the stone has a bigger top and becomes narrower, it can look bigger than it really is but color and clarity are the most important.
(If I seem like I'm rambling, it's because I'm tired but I'm too addicted to imamother to go to sleep!!) If anyone has and q's about diamonds, ask. I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

marina

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:48 am
To answer the question: zero.

Okay, now everyone, tell us your bra size and waist measurments.

How come you people are not embarrassed to be discussing this? How is it not a violation of what tznius really means?

grin

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 2:48 am
marina wrote:
How come you people are not embarrassed to be discussing this? How is it not a violation of what tznius really means?

I don't think it's much different than the other discussions that go on here. I don't think people are flaunting, just curious. I also don't have a diamond, but it doesn't bother me like it seem to bother you. Although I admit that I got the same reaction to a thread I started a while back about how many children people have in their family. I had asked out of curiosity how out of the ordinary I was here, being older with a large family, but for some reason, some people felt I was bragging. I guess it's all a matter of each one's sore point.

drumjj

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 2:51 am
tam I agree with u totally I had mine done about six months ago to be insured. and truthfully I chose my ring and my diamond and chose it bc of its clarity and not bc of its karats.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 3:01 am
I agree with grin. It's a curiosity thing. If someone's bragging and it makes them feel good that's their issue. Personally, I'm satisfied with my ring*. When I chose it I was way more into it than now (now I couldn't care less if it were a CZ) and I was way into color and cut and blah blah blah. It is almost a karat and I thought it was big considering my friends in Israel were getting teeny diamonds or cheaper stones. But there's always someone out there who wants people to feel bad. I had a family member who looked at it as if it were a cheap little thing because it wasn't 2 karats. Puke

I also had a jealous friend who was ashamed of her own ring next to mine, and distanced herself from me at that time. It's really sad. I think there is wisdom to the Rebbeim who say to get a CZ. That way, everyone can be as ostentatious as they want and you can wink at them knowing you can afford the same.

*Now it doesn't even fit me and I haven't bothered to get it resized because my weight fluctuates.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:16 am
I agree with amother. Down the road, it really doesn't matter. Who wears it, anyway?
But mine is an "E" LOL.....

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:18 am
Amother above. Mine is a D.

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:29 am
I have no clue. Mine is about .32 (that's the measurement we took from the ring when we went to get the stone). I could have someone look at it and give me the rest of the information, but seeing as it was given to us to use (it was our wedding present) by a family member "in the business", I would feel rather rude going to ask him. I trust that he didn't give me something that he wouldn't have been able to unload otherwise.

(And yes, we have a rider in our insurance policy to cover it...and our wedding bands.)

bbmom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:34 am
No clue. MIL bought the diamond and chose the setting, I didn't get to see it until the yichud room shock . Good thing I liked it... MIL told me she has the appraisal if I ever want it, but I figured it's safer in her file cabinet than in my lack of one.

The setting is pretty high, I know that can make a diamond look bigger, and it's pretty sparkly. My only prob with it is that it's too big Sad so it turns around and around, especially in the winter. I wear my wedding band in front so it doesn't fall off!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:36 am
bbmom wrote:
No clue. MIL bought the diamond and chose the setting, I didn't get to see it until the yichud room shock . Good thing I liked it... MIL told me she has the appraisal if I ever want it, but I figured it's safer in her file cabinet than in my lack of one.

The setting is pretty high, I know that can make a diamond look bigger, and it's pretty sparkly. My only prob with it is that it's too big Sad so it turns around and around, especially in the winter. I wear my wedding band in front so it doesn't fall off!

Have it adjusted, get a ring guard or for heaven's sake: gain some weight!!!!

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 7:54 am
I have a 4 carat diamond ring and since it was so heavy we decided to use it as our bedroom door knob.

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:06 am
approx. 1.7- 1.8. It's not the ring that really matters.

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:23 am
around 1.5 I think...im not even sure. I was told I can get a smaller better one or a bigger foggier one so I got te smaller one....at the end of the day I agree with alot of you though...my dh is the important part not the stone...

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:23 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
I have a 4 carat diamond ring and since it was so heavy we decided to use it as our bedroom door knob.

You could alternate and use it as a door stop too

Seraph

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:31 am
no clue. I actually have 25 diamonds, one medium small, with 24 little diamonds along the bands. I prefer small to big, I think big ones are clunky and crass, and was glad I was able to pick it out myself.

bbmom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 8:41 am
Tamiri wrote:
bbmom wrote:

Have it adjusted, get a ring guard or for heaven's sake: gain some weight!!!!

hehe I'm not exactly a skinny little pickle - I wouldn't mind LOSING some weight though.
never got it adjusted cuz in the summer it fits just right (not too tight like my other rings) and because people warned me not to do it case I gain or swell in pregnancy - at least I can still wear it!

Motek

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 9:28 am
I think it's useful to know what the norm is when you are parents and will be buying diamond rings for d-I-l.

I have seen someone with a huge diamond, way bigger than the norm. I don't know if it's real or not but it sure looks crass.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 9:37 am
[quote="Motek"]I think it's useful to know what the norm is when you are parents and will be buying diamond rings for d-I-l.
quote]
Excuse me? Doesn't it depend on what the chattan can afford, not what the parents can afford or what ever anyone else gets?

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 9:53 am
Motek wrote:
I think it's useful to know what the norm is when you are parents and will be buying diamond rings for d-I-l.

Are you being serious? I have friends that don't have diamond rings and they have survived. A diamond ring is not something to brake the bank with.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics