Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What can I make in advance?
1  2  Next

pinktichel

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 7:50 am
Looking for ideas of side dishes for Sukkos/Shabbos that are easy, quick (feeding a lot off ppl) and don't use anything like canned cranberry sauce, pie shells, etc. IOW, things that can be made with basic ingredients and most importantly, FREEZE WELL.

TIA.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:22 am
here are some quick easy side dishes I make or have made.

sweet potatoe or squash pie. Either crustless or make your own crust. *
kasha varnishkas - ppl say this freezes well, though it is pretty easy to make erev yt.
I once made farfel and my guests were so excited. It is also super easy to make. (students love the traditional stuff)
potato kugel. almost any kugel.
make some pesto, I think you can freeze it. this can be mixed with roast potatoes for a yummy side dish.

*you can make crust in the food processor - I use the spice and spirit recipe with tomer margerine instead of shortening. put the marge and flour in food processor, turn on for afew seconds. Then add the water slowly, and pulse a little more. then you roll out crust and bake. you can buy round foil pie dishes in most supermarkets, or I have some pyrex pie dishes that I line with foil.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:23 am
It's too hot to cook. Around 90 F, 31-32 C

pinktichel

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:39 am
Tamiri wrote:

Not here, its not!! More like 'I'm too tired to cook'.

Raisin, I don't find potato type things freeze well.

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:43 am
pinktichel wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Not here, its not!! More like 'I'm too tired to cook'.

Raisin, I don't find potato type things freeze well.

sweet potaote and squash freezes fine with me. also potato kugel.

bubby

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 9:01 am
Vegetable holishkes freeze excellently. You can portion them up & take out just what you need. You could make mini stuffed eggplant (stuffed with canned mixed veg & sautee'd onions & mushrooms & seasoned) covered with a tomato/marinara sauce. Again, portion before you freeze.

Vegetable bourekas or strudel will also work. Minipotato puffs coated in breadcrumbs will probably freeze OK. Have you looked in your cookbooks?

sky

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:19 pm
I just made for succos for the freezer
carrot kugel
orzo
doughless potato knish
sweet noodle apple kugel

All those freeze well.

Also a lot of kugels freeze very well.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:34 pm
Pasta freezes well, and kugels are great if you freeze them raw.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:40 pm
sky wrote:
I just made for succos for the freezer
carrot kugel
orzo
doughless potato knish
sweet noodle apple kugel

All those freeze well.

Also a lot of kugels freeze very well.

Thank you! I was just starting to get disappointed that only a few ppl responded. I'm sure many more have suggestions!

I have carrot kugel muffins and one apple kugel in the freezer but I think I'm going to make some more. Orzo freezes well? How did you make it? Any vegies with it?

can I please have the recipe for doughless potato knishes?

Lokshen kugels don't seem to go down very well here. Shame, cuz they are so easy to make!

pinktichel

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:43 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Pasta freezes well, and kugels are great if you freeze them raw.

Now there's an idea!! Do you mean I can make raw vegie kugels and just take them out erev y''t to bake? Do I let them defrost first? Do they get soggy/have a funny texture?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:49 pm
You don’t even have to defrost them to bake it. any kugel works too, veggies, etc.

Also, prepare meats and bake/cook for only an hour and freeze and finish baking/cooking erev yom tov.

Orzo freezes well even with the veggies. Our favorite is tiny bits of chicken cutlet in it ith fresh peas and chicken soup flavor.

cookielady

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 6:40 pm
Pink, your pineapple kugel in muffin size froze really well and ppl loved them. Just heat well and uncovered for a few minutes.

Mashed potatoes freeze really well, just make sure to have time to heat really well. The zucchini kugel with the puff pastry dough (kosher palette?) freeze very well. Potato knishes freeze well. Make the knish dough from S$S for potato knishes. Its a very easy dough and its pretty hard to ruin, just dont use too much flour in the dough and use full amount of apple juice the recipe calls for. Carrot rice pilaf freezes well.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 6:42 pm
I freeze almost all knish things raw and bake erev yom tov, great taste that way .

pinktichel

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:20 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
I freeze almost all knish things raw and bake erev yom tov, great taste that way .

If you saw the size of my oven, you'd understand why I have to do e/t in advance. Sad

Cookie, when I froze my pineapple kugel (not in pastry shell) and it was horrific. It was spongy and watery. I was so embarrassed .

I don't have the squash kugel in pastry recipe... would u be able to post it?

cookielady

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:47 am
pinktichel wrote:
[quote=
Cookie, when I froze my pineapple kugel (not in pastry shell) and it was horrific. It was spongy and watery. I was so embarrassed .
?

Trust me, If you can use your oven to reheat it will work. I heated it for 20 min covered on 300 then uncovered for another 10 minutes or so. Im very picky about freezer taste and these were amazing. Maybe the muffin size cut down on the watery or spongy?

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:14 pm
you do need to reheat things in the oven. Except maybe challs, cakes and cake like kugels. Although perhaps reheating on a plata would also work?

sky

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 2:29 pm
orzo - I made the one from kbd entertains. It is really prettu with colored peppers, mushrooms and craisins. Just don't overcook the vegetables because they will become limp when reheating. Also don't overcook the orzo. It froze really nice (I froze it for r"h and served to guests and it was delic)

Doughless potato: there was a thread about that but here is the repost:
8 potatoes - peel, cook, and mash
4 onions - dice and sautee
mix potatoes and onions.

Add:
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
6 oz. margarine
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

mix.
Pour in 9x13 pan. (it will be high. If you want a flatter kugel bake in a cookie sheet and cut down on the baking time)
Paint the top with an egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 7:23 am
sky wrote:
orzo - I made the one from kbd entertains. It is really prettu with colored peppers, mushrooms and craisins. Just don't overcook the vegetables because they will become limp when reheating. Also don't overcook the orzo. It froze really nice (I froze it for r"h and served to guests and it was delic)

Doughless potato: there was a thread about that but here is the repost:
8 potatoes - peel, cook, and mash
4 onions - dice and sautee
mix potatoes and onions.

Add:
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
6 oz. margarine
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

mix.
Pour in 9x13 pan. (it will be high. If you want a flatter kugel bake in a cookie sheet and cut down on the baking time)
Paint the top with an egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake at 375 for 1 hour.

Thanks for posting! I actually have that recipe but call it Potato Knish Kugel. I thought this was something rolled in balls and baked. My sis said she made something like that and froze them, but I can't seem to get hold of her.

Hey sis, if you see this thread, please email/post the recipe.

drumjj

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 7:32 am
I make a lot of potato kugels, courgette kugels, sweet pot kugels. carrot kugels that sort of thing and usually have in the freezer so I dont have to cook again. if u have any good easy ideas id love some too. im baking at the moment. I hate it what a hassle

pinktichel

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 7:33 am
drumjj wrote:
I make a lot of potato kugels, courgette kugels, sweet pot kugels. carrot kugels that sort of thing and usually have in the freezer so I dont have to cook again. if u have any good easy ideas id love some too. im baking at the moment. I hate it what a hassle

if your sweet pot kugel doesn't call for a crust, can u post it?
thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes