Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What do YOU think? (Chanuka Xmas style)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you think it's great (Chanuka Xmas style)?
I love it!  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Inappropriate  
 61%  [ 49 ]
Mixed Feelings  
 23%  [ 19 ]
No Comment  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 80

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 9:25 am
I like it. I don´t think it should be so loud but there´s no problem with a few light and decorations.

supermom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 4:19 pm
I have to agree with a couple of posters the first I saw was the lights and thought it was a [gentile] that put up a menorah and driedal in front of his house and then when I was reading some of the post I had to look back at the picture again for a quick look

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 5:54 pm
When I was a kid growing up in the south, my family always decorated, but not so lavish....and yes, I'm thinking of succas when I see those lights in Jewish homes...

it's not so different than using lehavdil EAster baskets (with grass!) for your mishloach manos.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 1:41 pm
Do any of you do anything towards persumei nisa. I have seen this house in Brooklyn where they go all out. I found a pic on the web

http://hanukkahhouse.photosite.com

I think it is great. What do you guys think?

threads merged - mod

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:16 pm
Baltimore has a "Chanukah House" which is UNBELIEVABLE, as any other Baltimorian will attest to!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:17 pm
My mom used to, when we were little. I'm not into any of that.

faigie

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:21 pm
where is the house? id love to go look at it!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Baltimore has a "Chanukah House" which is UNBELIEVABLE, as any other Baltimorian will attest to!

on Park Heights near Strathmore....

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:47 pm
See to me, that reeks of x-mas decorations, even though it's got a Chanukah theme. Pirsumei nissa refers to where you light your chanukia, doesn't it?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:48 pm
Yup. Smile

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:51 pm
brooklyn wrote:
Do any of you do anything towards persumei nisa.

Yes, we light a menora in our doorway for 8 nights. On the first night we light one light and progress until 8 lights the last night.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 3:59 am
marion, I am with you here. I think that this family, I dont know if they are frum or not, but they are trying to get other ppl to see that chanukah is a fun holiday as well but comparing it to chrismas.

I personally think its terrible.

like mummyof6 said, our persumei nisa is the candles, that everyone sees the candles from the window out to the street.

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 4:52 am
I think there might be a shila here of chukas hagoyim, no?

rise above

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 5:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
marion, I am with you here. I think that this family, I dont know if they are frum or not, but they are trying to get other ppl to see that chanukah is a fun holiday as well but comparing it to chrismas.

I personally think its terrible.

Yep I think the same... caused alarm bells by me.

happy2beme

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 8:54 am
I hang up in the window whatever my daughter made in school- usually one or 2 things. & it makes her so happy & proud Smile

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 12:31 pm
mummyof6 wrote:
Yes, we light a menora in our doorway for 8 nights. On the first night we light one light and progress until 8 lights the last night.

Hillel followers I see ... Wink

happy2beme

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 12:36 pm
Rolling Laughter

shayna82

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 12:37 pm
I dont personally do it, but what wrong in making something "goyis" like, into something jewish like?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 1:36 pm
Motek wrote:
when you consider that in their area, the homes are probably decorated for weeks with Xmas decorations, my first thought was - I think it's a nice idea

my second thought is that there's another way of going about this like by having a large menorah in the front yard that is lit every night\

and I'd like to know, for all those who think it's inappropriate, whether they give only gelt on Chanuka and not gifts, and what sort of succa decorations they put up (any tinsel, shiny stars ..)

motek, ill answer your question: I dont like those decorations. it reminds me too much of the chrismas decorations all around, like someone is trying to copy that.
on chanukah, we got a little bit of gelt (to play dreidel with), no gifts (come on, that is SOOOOOO not a jewish idea, it came about b/c chrismas was right at the same time)
as for sukkot, ive never in my life put up shiny things that would even remotely look like chrismas decrations. a lot of the decore in my sukkah was home made, besides for the pictures of israel or sheva minim etc.

I think that it is silly, bad and tacky to try and copy something that the non jews do just to up them one type of thing.

Piper

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 2:16 pm
I know that in some some mixed communites it is in the homeowners bylaws that decorations must be put up at this time of year. Is that the case with this house?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics