Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
It's latka time
Previous  1  2

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 2:06 am
We say Ha'eitz on applesauce, presumably if there are big pieces (I.e. grated rather than blended) it would seem to be Ho'adama. But I guess I should look it up.

willow

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:30 am
How does one keep the lakes crisp if you need to warm them up in the oven in large quanties.(I am having a party and can't make them an hour before)

supermom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 9:33 am
mm I made the applesauce last night and I think I will start making it more often delicious but I think I would also try pears.

SMG

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:04 pm
Willow, they will get crispier when you reheat them if you reheat them in a single layer (think frozen french fries or fish sticks. Stacking =soggy)

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:13 pm
Frumom wrote:
so anyone know how to make latkes without a grator. We dont have one, I can go buy one, but are there any recipes out there?

Just use the shredder attachment on the food processer.

Frumom

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:36 pm
hisorerus wrote:
Frumom wrote:
so anyone know how to make latkes without a grator. We dont have one, I can go buy one, but are there any recipes out there?

You can also make mashed potato latkes. They are a different consistency, but they taste good. Make sure to put in enough eggs and flour though, or else they fall apart.

Have you tried it?

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 4:40 pm
Frumom wrote:
hisorerus wrote:
Frumom wrote:

You can also make mashed potato latkes. They are a different consistency, but they taste good. Make sure to put in enough eggs and flour though, or else they fall apart.

Have you tried it?

I make them all the time. I like them a lot.
I usually boil several potatoes, sautee onions in frying pan, mash the potatoes in the food processer, and then mix the mashed potatoes, onions, eggs and flour together. Add salt and pepper.

I'm not sure about the measurements, I always make them differently and rarely measure anything.

willow

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 3:17 am
SMG, I don't have enough oven space for a single layer pan. I only have one rack so that means all the pans of food need to be warmed up at one time. Does that mean I am in for soggy food? Crying

SMG

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 9:55 am
One rack? Boy do I feel for you! Do you have a large griddle for the stove top or even a couple of frying pans? Latkes retain their oil pretty well and if you reheat on a low flame you should be able to keep them crispy without burning them. Good luck!

willow

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 6:45 am
Smg thanx for your tips. In the end I just made them put them in a pan and into the oven. They weren't that soft and they tasted pretty good.

YALT

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 8:09 am
Who said Latkes have to be potato?!?!?!?!
I make cheese latkes.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 8:23 am
Tefila wrote:
Girls bake it don't stand there frying. You line cookie trays w/h oil put in oven to heat 5 min then, spoon latke recipe on and leave on 425 for 15 min. turn over and 5 min later it's done.
So tasty even the T.v. crew who interviewed us ravished it up.
Plus the easiest way to do it. And though too has oil in it it doesn't come out drenched in it like frying does. You see I thought if I make a kugel this way why can't I do the same for latkes ......try it you won't regret it. Hatzlacha Smile

How did you manage to get them off the baking pan w/o them sticking if you didn't use loads of oil?

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 8:41 am
My guess: parchment paper?

or a spray of PAM?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 4:17 pm
if you don't have a grater, can you get the frozen kinneret ones? I like them.....with ketchup!

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 07 2006, 1:46 pm
mmm latkes I can smell them now
does anybody here fry them in olive oil much tastier than reg oil + I add fresh garlic to mine
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus