Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are we all being ripped off?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Success10

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:55 am
If you shop in advance, the Alipicks and AliSpecials stuff is great, IMO.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:11 am
I avoid shopping online from frum companies for exactly the reason. I need to touch it and try it on or I’m not buying it, I learned the lesson the hard way.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:18 am
Success10 wrote:

What about returns?

Success10

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:22 am
amother Salmon wrote:
What about returns?

Never tried. But I hear your point...

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:28 am
Success10 wrote:

This is being ripped off. Ali stuff is cheap $1-$10 why are these sellers selling the junk for $40? At least the frum stores have major costs at the end of the day they don’t even make that much on it.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:30 am
amother Slategray wrote:
This is being ripped off. Ali stuff is cheap $1-$10 why are these sellers selling the junk for $40? At least the frum stores have major costs at the end of the day they don’t even make that much on it.

They make their own designs and market it. Why shouldn’t they get compensation?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:32 am
English3 wrote:
My two week olds wardrobe:

jacket 70 dollars
Jacket and blankets set 80
Stretchies at least seven worth 30 to sixty dollars
A stretchie,blanket,bonnet worth at least 120

These are all gifts for a tiny person worn maximum two, three months.
Its crazy what we have become, my princess has more expensive wardrobe then any of her siblings.

Newborn Baby wardrobe is the worst waste of money because they hardly wear it!!!

In the store the sales ladies always ask the weight of the newborn and size down. I want to yell from the rooftops to size up (the stuff is so narrow and skimpy) so they don’t need to come back at 2 months it should last for 4 month for these prices!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:37 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
Surprised

All of these are so expensive! You can buy similar stuff at Target for half of the price, better when on sale.

Why does a child, especially a kid 5 and under, need a $72 dress?!?! And that is called "reasonable"?!?!?!

I shop target and Walmart online.

I don't buy their pants cuz I think it's ridiculous to spend $42 for a pants. Now I understand it probably takes more time and $$ to manufacture that pants vs my kids skirt in that fabric. But pants I can shop anywhere and they rip at the knee weather they were 50 or 9.99. Regular or reinforced knee. They all still rip.
Heck, my son ripped his THICK corduroy pants at the knee... luckily it was am h&m 12.99 pair.....

I also love Walmart marketplace some amazing stuff there! And target is great for tops and sometimes maxi skirts and maxi dresses (also old navy)
But past 4-5 years I have found ONE dress at warlmart that was long enough that I only had to upsize once and the fit was still nice.
She said her kid was 7 if I remember correctly. It is very hard to find long enough dresses for that age in non Jewish stores. I know cuz u tried. You send so much time at the computer then 3/4 of the stuff goes back.
Of course you can always size up but then it looks shlumpy.

I usually walk into lulu, pastel, Lilly and tod. So I don't shop the heimish companies online. I try before I buy.
But it's an absolute breeze. Basically everything in there is ok to buy. You chose the nicest you like. You try it on, you walk out. Done.
You def paid more than department stores. But it was a quick shop. The service was amazing. The kids had a positive experience (none of the- "no this adorable dress isn't tznius").

Oh, and btw, temu has really nice cotton below knee length skirts if you'd like to try it.
My kids have it in black and blue.
But this is the thing, my 10 yo looks amazing in it (size 14). For my 9 yo, (size 6-8) it had too much fabric so I had to fix it. Luckily I'm good with my hands and the sewing machine but it's a pain.
Is it worth the $50 yes. But would I do it as a first option. No.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:42 am
agreer wrote:
Yes, we are being ripped off 100%

Why do they charge so much? BECAUSE THEY CAN
Because people will think it's better quality if it's more expensive
Because people feel pressure to only shop at certain stores (I.e. not Carter's)
Because people will pay extra money for tznius items (but then why do some stores sell non-tznius stuff?!)
... basically as long as there's demand, they will supply it.
As long as people shop there, they will charge as much as they can get away with.

If half their customer base decided to stop shopping there, they would either lower prices or close down (b/c they wouldn't be making enough to live).

It’s more than just that they can. It seems like a certain vocal percentage of their customers prefer it to be expensive so they can feel proud of themselves for avoiding Carters type stores and prices, and can say that they only dress their kids Jewish style.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:43 am
Every store right now, from Target to Bloomingdales, is showing longer skirts and dresses.

keeptrying

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:02 am
Who wants to invest with me? I would love to open a store that dresses are $50 and tops are $25

English3

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:59 am
keeptrying wrote:
Who wants to invest with me? I would love to open a store that dresses are $50 and tops are $25

The crazy thing is that cheap stores are nerdy.
My sil's wont step in to certain stores bc they are cheap. They are not middle class people,regular woman.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:18 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
I shop target and Walmart online.

I don't buy their pants cuz I think it's ridiculous to spend $42 for a pants. Now I understand it probably takes more time and $$ to manufacture that pants vs my kids skirt in that fabric. But pants I can shop anywhere and they rip at the knee weather they were 50 or 9.99. Regular or reinforced knee. They all still rip.
Heck, my son ripped his THICK corduroy pants at the knee... luckily it was am h&m 12.99 pair.....

I also love Walmart marketplace some amazing stuff there! And target is great for tops and sometimes maxi skirts and maxi dresses (also old navy)
But past 4-5 years I have found ONE dress at warlmart that was long enough that I only had to upsize once and the fit was still nice.
She said her kid was 7 if I remember correctly. It is very hard to find long enough dresses for that age in non Jewish stores. I know cuz u tried. You send so much time at the computer then 3/4 of the stuff goes back.
Of course you can always size up but then it looks shlumpy.

I usually walk into lulu, pastel, Lilly and tod. So I don't shop the heimish companies online. I try before I buy.
But it's an absolute breeze. Basically everything in there is ok to buy. You chose the nicest you like. You try it on, you walk out. Done.
You def paid more than department stores. But it was a quick shop. The service was amazing. The kids had a positive experience (none of the- "no this adorable dress isn't tznius").

Oh, and btw, temu has really nice cotton below knee length skirts if you'd like to try it.
My kids have it in black and blue.
But this is the thing, my 10 yo looks amazing in it (size 14). For my 9 yo, (size 6-8) it had too much fabric so I had to fix it. Luckily I'm good with my hands and the sewing machine but it's a pain.
Is it worth the $50 yes. But would I do it as a first option. No.

Link for temu skirts?

Success10

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:21 am
amother Slategray wrote:

I don't think it's junk, definitely a higher level than basic cheap Ali stuff. But I haven't ordered a lot of stuff, so I can't be sure.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:27 am
Of course we are being ripped off! Same thing with the wigs. We have an obligation to cover our hair yet wig companies have hijacked this mitzvah and laughing all the way to the bank. I worked for a very famous brand and the prices kept going up by the hundreds every few months because people continued paying. It’s insane.

Technically it’s not stealing because we are willingly paying but is it stealing in some roundabout way since wearing a wig is a necessity…and they’re taking advantage of our basic need….(please don’t write I can wear a scarf. It’s not acceptable in my community.)

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:50 am
Agreed! Unfortunately we are being taken advantage of. Regarding the clothes, you can often find the same items for cheaper on Amazon

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:51 am
English3 wrote:
The crazy thing is that cheap stores are nerdy.
My sil's wont step in to certain stores bc they are cheap. They are not middle class people,regular woman.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:04 am
amother Yolk wrote:
Of course we are being ripped off! Same thing with the wigs. We have an obligation to cover our hair yet wig companies have hijacked this mitzvah and laughing all the way to the bank. I worked for a very famous brand and the prices kept going up by the hundreds every few months because people continued paying. It’s insane.

Technically it’s not stealing because we are willingly paying but is it stealing in some roundabout way since wearing a wig is a necessity…and they’re taking advantage of our basic need….(please don’t write I can wear a scarf. It’s not acceptable in my community.)

There are new cheaper brands out there lately, I’ve seen wigs going for under 2k. The brands that used to be cheap are all through the roof in pricing.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:46 am
Honestly what's worse than the price is the quality.
If I am paying frum prices it shouldn't pill and look worn after the first use. And I wash on gentle and hang dry all the dresses (I don't buy dry clean only clothes).
My son isn't hard on his clothes but knees shouldn't rip easily. He is a bookworm so isn't rough housing.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:37 am
I didn't read the responses, and these have probably been mentioned, but in case not-
Weekday clothing - tottini is very well priced, especially on sale
Shabbos clothing - kidichic is great, the most expensive is $45 and can get nice things for less usually
Shabbos robes- tottini usually has, very well priced

I used to shop more from target/old navy, etc. but tottini on sale is cheaper ($7 per item!), and as my kids have gotten older I need long enough skirts and sleeves, etc.

Basics like shorts and leggings for the younger ones I still usually do target

Editing to add- I live OOT, so maybe I'm clueless and Tottini and kidichic are nerdy. To me the clothing looks the same as ads I see for the more expensive places...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics