Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Good career with a large family?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:45 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I did a lot of data analysis and visualization in my education career and then I learned Python and SQL through DataCamp went for an online master's in data science.

You are a very talented person!

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:08 pm
amother Gold wrote:
To the people that are software engineers, how did you transition from low level to higher level?

I switched jobs lol

I started as an intern, minimum wage.
3 months later I got a job for corporate America and was offered a starting salary of 80k. Got an annual raise bringing my salary to 86k. After a year at that salary I switched companies and starting salary was 107k

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:19 pm
How does one become a software developer? If ypu had a highschool aged daughter who is good with computers but has never even heard of software, what would you look into? What degree do you need, how would she know if this is something she can go for?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:37 pm
Any career that gives you off for Yomim Tovim, and Summer when kids are off.

writinggirl

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Any career that gives you off for Yomim Tovim, and Summer when kids are off.

These types of jobs generally involve working with kids. You have to know yourself. Some people get burnt out working with kids all day and it’s hard to have patience for their own kids when they come home from work.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 7:44 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I think a lot of careers that are not traditionally seen as good for mothers can work well with certain conditions -law and accounting come to mind -like if a mother spends her early career years working very hard (and ‘outsourcing’ the childcare for her infant/toddler/very young children) then by the time her family is larger, and her kids’ needs need more of her attention, there are ways to find flexibility at work.

For a lawyer, depending on what your plan is, it's not even necessary to work crazy hard for the first few years. I worked for a solo practitioner for one year, until my second dc was born. In retrospect, I would have been better off continuing to work for him for another year or two. But working for a solo for 2 or 3 years is not the same as working for a large firm. And he was frum, so I had y"t off. And this was many years ago. Nowadays you can probably work from home at least for some of the time.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
How does one become a software developer?

I went to a women's only Jewish college and got a bachelor's in computer and information science. There are also bootcamps

Tova

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Public accounting is not recommended for a mother with little children..

Cough cough I am over 20 years working in public accounting and I think it's fantastic for a frum mother. I don't work in tax (although I did for about 8 years). Funnily writing this on 4/15 but there are SOO many jobs outside of tax. We don't have any busy season in my firm or line of work. I work from home, have flexible hours etc.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:37 pm
I am a social worker in healthcare, and while my salary isn’t super high, I have lots of flexibility and benefits. And super fulfilling.

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:38 pm
Funny I am a lawyer and I feel like it was a terrible choice

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:55 pm
amother Brown wrote:
I am a social worker in healthcare, and while my salary isn’t super high, I have lots of flexibility and benefits. And super fulfilling.

Hi colleague!!!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Funny I am a lawyer and I feel like it was a terrible choice

Do you work for yourself, if I may ask?

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But in today's world, most families need to be a two income household. And the larger the family the more income needed, therebh making it very difficult to be a sahm with a very large family. Or there is financial struggling.

That’s true that’s why we all need to make choices, you can’t always have everything all at once.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Brown wrote:

What does this mean? it’s always been my dream to be a social worker but life took me off course… now I was thinking to just get a masters in education because it’s quicker and I’ll start earning money sooner but education really doesn’t pull my interest…

What is a social worker in healthcare? Is that a regular social worker?

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:24 pm
Im a psychologist and I think its a wonderful job for a mother. I get to make my own hours and I take plenty of time off for maternity leave.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:53 pm
amother Lily wrote:
This. If that is what a woman wants, SAHM is best.

Wouldn’t that be nice? I think many mothers would choose SAHM if they had the choice unfortunately this isn’t realistic nowadays

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:01 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I'm a software engineer. The hours are really flexible, theres amazing benefits and very solid pay

Same
BH

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:10 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Hi colleague!!!

Heyyyy Smile

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
What does this mean? I’m 41 and finishing my BA and really love psychology… it’s always been my dream to be a social worker but life took me off course… now I was thinking to just get a masters in education because it’s quicker and I’ll start earning money sooner but education really doesn’t pull my interest…

What is a social worker in healthcare? Is that a regular social worker?

It means working in a hospital or nursing facility. More case management then therapy

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:15 pm
I’m a PA and my job is flexible. Due to the nature of my specific job, I can call out whenever I want, leave to go to a doctors appointment in middle of the day last minute etc. I have a complex because my salary is 123K with great benefits but feels like we’re just making it. Married with one baby. My husband is learning.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics