Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Good career with a large family?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:16 am
I felt being a public education administrator to be very compatible with frum life except rushed Friday afternoons but all holidays off, comfortable six figures with summers off, great insurance, etc.

I've since transitioned into data science out of interest and I think that's also compatible bc of the wealth of remote jobs and steep pay curve after the first job. Cybersecurity would be another pick of mine. Anything in the computer field really.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:19 am
nicole81 wrote:
I felt being a public education administrator to be very compatible with frum life except rushed Friday afternoons but all holidays off, comfortable six figures with summers off, great insurance, etc.

I've since transitioned into data science out of interest and I think that's also compatible bc of the wealth of remote jobs and steep pay curve after the first job. Cybersecurity would be another pick of mine. Anything in the computer field really.

How did you start out in data science?

nicole81

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:43 am
amother Mint wrote:
How did you start out in data science?

I did a lot of data analysis and visualization in my education career and then I learned Python and SQL through DataCamp went for an online master's in data science.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:01 am
I don't have the mind for it but based on what I see from my husband's computer programming job I agree that computers is probably one of the better options for a mother. really I feel like a mother with a large family if she's going to work would do best with something that is flexible and she can do it on her own time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:15 am
amother Lily wrote:
This. If that is what a woman wants, SAHM is best.

But in today's world, most families need to be a two income household. And the larger the family the more income needed, therebh making it very difficult to be a sahm with a very large family. Or there is financial struggling.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:44 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Well, we do need frum teachers and frum therapists, and there are not enough single girls willing to do the job, so...

Honestly I don't think any real career is compatible with having a baby every year and taking off three months each time.

While there are frum women who can give birth every year while keeping up with a demanding career, they either have superhuman strength or, more likely, a LOT of support.

There are plenty of teaching jobs where it won’t wreck a student’s whole year if someone takes off 3 months such as permanent sub, gym teacher, art teacher, any special , title one teacher, assistant, etc. I do think it’s kind of selfish to take off several months annually and be a classroom teacher.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:58 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
For me, compatible with frum life means fair pay, excellent benefits (subsidized insurance perks like daycamp and sleep away camp grants, daycare grants) and lots of PTO

I’m a hospital social worker and feel it’s very compatible with having a frum family

I agree with this. Its not the job its the environment. I know women in a wide variety of fields and the ones that work for hospitals, law firms, big accounting firms etc have it easier.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:59 am
nicole81 wrote:

You’re not in education anymore?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But in today's world, most families need to be a two income household. And the larger the family the more income needed, therebh making it very difficult to be a sahm with a very large family. Or there is financial struggling.

I would love to see a combination of SAHM and homeschooling become more common in the frum world. It would solve a lot of the financial issue and be great for young families. If it was common, families could team up to teach different subjects and make it manageable.

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:24 pm
I think a lot of careers that are not traditionally seen as good for mothers can work well with certain conditions -law and accounting come to mind -like if a mother spends her early career years working very hard (and ‘outsourcing’ the childcare for her infant/toddler/very young children) then by the time her family is larger, and her kids’ needs need more of her attention, there are ways to find flexibility at work.

hodeez

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:35 pm
Software engineer

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:43 pm
I'm an attorney solo practitioner.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 4:45 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I would love to see a combination of SAHM and homeschooling become more common in the frum world. It would solve a lot of the financial issue and be great for young families. If it was common, families could team up to teach different subjects and make it manageable.

We can't even get people on board with Carter's. I can't see this happening on a wide scale.

eschaya

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 5:35 pm
Or maybe, girls should be encouraged to pursue careers that make them feel fulfilled. Because a woman who feels fulfilled, who feels that she is utilizing her strengths and capabilities to their max, who feels well compensated and who enjoys what she does is a happy woman. And a happy woman is a good mother.
Of course, within that category we should be encouraged to choose the particular job that works well for family life (factors include hours, commute, flexibility, pay).

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I think a lot of careers that are not traditionally seen as good for mothers can work well with certain conditions -law and accounting come to mind -like if a mother spends her early career years working very hard (and ‘outsourcing’ the childcare for her infant/toddler/very young children) then by the time her family is larger, and her kids’ needs need more of her attention, there are ways to find flexibility at work.

This has been the experience of so many women I know. Maybe I am in different circles but so many women don't get a lot of dates so if you decide to do a really intense degree that will pay dividends later on your not always even worried about the child care part. You can work as a CPA or bedside nurse, or attorney or really anything and really build yourself up to have better options when your kids come.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 5:51 pm
My husband is a software developer and it's an excellent career. Good pay, good hours and good benefits. I wish I had the brain for it because two software developer salaries would be amazing 👏 I can't sit at a desk and much prefer working with kids so I'm a special Instructor lol

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:16 pm
To the people that are software engineers, how did you transition from low level to higher level?
My dd is into the second year of her job as a developer but can't seem to get out of the entry level. As soon as she gets higher level work it's too much for her and can't do it.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hope I didn't hijack the thread...

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:19 pm
amother Gold wrote:
To the people that are software engineers, how did you transition from low level to higher level?
My dd is into the second year of her job as a developer but can't seem to get out of the entry level. As soon as she gets higher level work it's too much for her and can't do it.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hope I didn't hijack the thread...

Can I ask where her training is from? My husband went to a top college for tech and taught in a Jewish program this past year. He said he felt they didn't give the students good skills and there would be a lot of gaps to fill professionally. Perhaps she can find a mentor in her company who can help or through the community. Also, took my husband a few years to really move up the ladder and he has a masters....

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:33 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:

I did this. Worked my tail off until I was about 30. At this point I have a very flexible job with very good pay, as I climbed the hierarchy. DH helped a tremendous amount during that time, and so did my mom.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:

Agree. -Lawyer
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics